[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
I just ordered a bunch of cat 6 cables from monoprice, gonna change all the lan cables in my place. I realised some cmi cables and self crimped ones are the weak links and are screwing up my speeds.

CAT6 a bit waste money lar. Just get a CAT5e is enough. :D

Vulpix

Reaction score
Oh and you lazy people who live too far from SLS/SLT, you can try this site: Buy Cables Online in Singapore

I bought my cables from them, great customer service when I bought from them, and they send via singpost. I got like 4-5 cables from them, so far so good, so I know they are not sending you fake CAT5e cables or something. :D

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CAT6 a bit waste money lar. Just get a CAT5e is enough. :D

My place wired with Cat 6 cables from study to living room. Actually it is kinda of a waste since I'm not copying files all the time but then again I think there is not much difference in costs so just hoot the cat 6 cables.

The cables on that website looks very similar to monoprice cables... hmmm

moozmoow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for advise.

Actually I am not sure how the Synology NAS to handle DDNS and configured port forward as it noted will overwrite portforward on router.

Well, I tested the DDNS connection in DSM, it works. However, i noticed my DDNS on router is Disable.

if the router firewall is blocking the port, should i set port forward at DSM or router itself? Is the WOL default port in 9?

Ddns on router, can leave it as disabled. On your synology, make sure your ddns settings are correct. In addition, on the ddns side, ensure that the ddns website/host directs to your IP address given to you by your provider. For me I'm using dlinkddns so the ddns website tells me what ip I'm using (the one accessing the ddns web page) just check that and also that the ports are correctly forwarded on your router.

For me I directly configure the ports on th router and I don't use the ddns to help me configure and override the rules in the router

tskeng

Reaction score
Going to buy CAT6 cables liao!

BTW, u all got use the VPN feature in DSM?
How do u know if the downloads (in SABNZB) are all using VPN?

knuckle

Reaction score
There is no simple way to do it unfortunately. You have to copy it all to somewhere before you can do it. Upgrade to another Synology NAS is just a matter of plugging out the old drives and putting them into the new one, but changing the drives is an entire different ball game.

Vulpix you are wrong in a way.
Yes you can do it if your a running SHR. Which is Synology raid format.
You can remove one drive. Put in a 4TB, and let the Synology rebuild your data, once complete to it again. Might take awhile but it is possible.

With SHR you can have different size hard drives as well.

knuckle

Reaction score
I currently have a DS413. Running 4x2TB green drives (yes I know they are green)
Haven't really had any problems (touch wood).
My plan is to upgrade to 4TB once they start to drop in price.

Transfer speeds aren't great, because I'm using wireless. Don't have a desktop. YET! haha.

Running SABNzb, Sickbeard, Photo station. Still need to invest in a UPS.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Vulpix you are wrong in a way.
Yes you can do it if your a running SHR. Which is Synology raid format.
You can remove one drive. Put in a 4TB, and let the Synology rebuild your data, once complete to it again. Might take awhile but it is possible.

With SHR you can have different size hard drives as well.

I would not recommend that way because it will take a longer time than just straight out copying. :s13: If your data is bigger than 8tb than different story...

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would not recommend that way because it will take a longer time than just straight out copying. :s13: If your data is bigger than 8tb than different story...

Problem chances are we don't have spare 8TB to transfer to and fro..But good knowing that Synology has a way to do it..

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
On the topic of UPS, does the APC 500/525 entry series support USB monitoring? I know they used to come with RS232 aka serial port monitoring, which is rather useless today.

ykcin0

Reaction score
Everyday received about 10 notifications on IP addresses being blocked due to unauthorised login to NAS.
Is this normal? Should I be concerned?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Wtf, I think my NAS a bit sot after those two power trips before I got my UPS, dunno is it the damn bay 2 got problem liao... :(

Reaction score
Hi folks, purchased the DS212j with 2 WD red 2TB last week. Hooked up everything and can only hit 11mb/s transfer rate. What can i check/do to increase the transfer rate? Im on MR 100mbps fibre plan.

I have connected the NAS to the port 1 of Asus RT-N66u router using ethernet cable. Noticed that the ethernet cable port did not light up, is this normal?

Thanks.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the provided cable is cat5e. I'm able to reach 100MBps using that and only 3 red hdd

nas.png

deepblueKM

Reaction score
Ddns on router, can leave it as disabled. On your synology, make sure your ddns settings are correct. In addition, on the ddns side, ensure that the ddns website/host directs to your IP address given to you by your provider. For me I'm using dlinkddns so the ddns website tells me what ip I'm using (the one accessing the ddns web page) just check that and also that the ports are correctly forwarded on your router.

For me I directly configure the ports on th router and I don't use the ddns to help me configure and override the rules in the router

I see. Can tell/pm me what port is for the synology WOL (wake on lan)? I tried configure the port forward on router but it doesn't work for WOL too. However, the cloud that I using ddns on synology works just WOL doen't work on WAN... :(

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Vulpix boh welcome me :o

NAS in HDD no in... Post mid term syndrome = no time to bother my hoots :(

echeong

Master Member
Reaction score
Need help here from lao jiao bros. I migrated my 4x500gb from my old CS-406 to the DS413J and everything went smoothly (data and all) except for photo station. It was working ok with DSM3.1 on the CS-406 but now I basically can't open it even on my LAN. Tried un-install and re-install photo station but didn't work. But funny enough the pics are accessible on DS Photo+ app on my iphone and ipad.
See pic below on blank page on firefox and internal 500 server error on IE when I tried to open the link.
photostation_zps2ed3eef4.jpg

No one having this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.