[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
btw i think you can get 8 port HP switch at $130 which can support Link Aggregation from blue forum (if im not wrong). the HP switch i use, cost $199 from media pro and comes with lifetime warranty.

expensive :(

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
btw i think you can get 8 port HP switch at $130 which can support Link Aggregation from blue forum (if im not wrong). the HP switch i use, cost $199 from media pro and comes with lifetime warranty.

Can you share what are the key differences between the HP 1810 and 1900 model, apart from the warranty; 3 yrs vs life time.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
51dQA0M9-CL._AA1500_.jpg

I think my solution a bit more elegant looking. :s13:

Where can I buy this? Looks like quite an elegant solution.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Using a cheap APC BK500EI (~$129) with usb comm to the ds413j,
The UPS back connections look like this:

DEB9C746-5056-AE36-FE7333228C102B45_pr.jpg

Using these plugs and old monitor cables to connect:
Front
IEC_C14_Plug1.jpg

Back
IEC_C14_Plug2.jpg

Old monitor pass through cables
IEC_C14_Cable.jpg

Connection
BK500EI_Cables.jpg

Thanks. Looking at this model also. Just that the plugs are a buggeration. Its OK if connected to PC n monitor but its tricky for devices with DC power bricks. Might have to go hunt for the adaptors.

SpyderMan

Reaction score
:o

Pardon I dunno the PrtScrn combo for bootcamp :/

20130319_172432_zps934419b6.jpg

Here goes with the same test parameters :o

I think its time to upgrade your router/cables?

Of cuz the difference is mine is loaded with only 1 x 3TB Green on SHR. Maybe more resources available for the system.

My SingNet router Pace A5520N has gigabit ports and I have Cat5e cables all round except a Cat5 for an old PC. Please see my diagram posted earlier.

Last edited:

SpyderMan

Reaction score
Spyder.. My set up is 100% similar as yours.. My fibre connection is in the living room with the router there too.. My switch is sitting in the study room with the rest of the PC/Mac etc and NAS of course....

Except my switch is Cisco SR2016T and all cables are CAT6 (including between living room router and study room switch.. under the floor :) )...

My NAS is DS1511+ running RAID 5

5qDsdr1.jpg

Similar setup too? Ya, your switch and cables are different from mine but still mine are gigabit capable right? Hmmm...still wondering why my network cannot achieve the speed you guys are getting.

Last edited:

civicguy

Banned
Reaction score
Similar setup too? Ya, your switch and cables are different from mine but still mine are gigabit capable right? Hmmm...still wondering why my network cannot achieve the speed you guys are getting.

Urs is a 2 disk version right ? I wonder if that matters ? Mine is a 5 disk version.. sorry, pretty noob on RAID...

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Urs is a 2 disk version right ? I wonder if that matters ? Mine is a 5 disk version.. sorry, pretty noob on RAID...

Possible , if he 2 drive is in raid 1 which would perform slower than raid 0.

kero89

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Should I get a 8 ports Cisco gigabit unmanaged switch or Engenius ESR9850 to act as a switch for my 3MBLs, DS213 and probably once have enough moolah DS413J?

Does switch works better than a router in handling such load?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Just 1 question: No concern on overloading if connecting this extension to the ups?

Can tombang if you find it?
Kamsia

No, as long you're only plugging small low current devices (router, printer, etc) and not 3-4 other PCs. Don't think it's a concern.

junkang2004

Reaction score
I can't play rmvb file on my tv via NAS, but I can play it via Thumb drive.
Any1 can solve this?
TIA!

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can you share what are the key differences between the HP 1810 and 1900 model, apart from the warranty; 3 yrs vs life time.
im not too sure, but one of it its like end of life already (if i remember correctly)

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
expensive :(
well, hp procurve switch is one of the best :) another brand will be cisco, but please dont confuse with "fake" cisco aka cisco small business switch :)

they are on different level one.

TheDisgruntedCitizen

Master Member
Reaction score
well, hp procurve switch is one of the best :) another brand will be cisco, but please dont confuse with "fake" cisco aka cisco small business switch :)

they are on different level one.

I agree... HP Procurve switch is one of the best in terms of feature for SMB setup... but it is still quite costly...

Personally I am using Cisco Small Business Switch for my VM testing and it works fairly well. I can even perform port aggregation, although I need to delve into the console to perform it.

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe just have bad experience with it before....
Bought 2 units of 48 ports gigabit L2 dumb switch, experience random drop out for every clients at office.... Vendor bring their network engineer to troubleshoot... Even the CCIE engineer cannot find the issue.... Well not his fault, cos its a dumb switch, nothing to set! So get the vendor change to procurve.... All settled! Just plug n play!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.