HDTV, Digital TV and antenna discussion thread [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
... Currently all the channels are on 610Mhz after MediaCorp moved the non-HD channels CH5, CH8 and CNA (previously 538Mhz) to be the same with HD5 @ 610Mhz.
Wow, things change so fast, hard to keep track, since when? By the way, I don't watch tv.

sunsetbay

Reaction score
yes, but for CHU very very grainy. other channels are just less grainier

suggest u tell HDB that u wanna watch analog ChU & CNA thru MATV, their freq are 527.25 & 559.25Mhz respectively, which are the closest channels to 610Mhz~ if u can get perfect CNA reception, chances of receiving hd5 is higher~ :s22:

tatsit

Honorary Member
Reaction score
suggest u tell HDB that u wanna watch analog ChU & CNA thru MATV, their freq are 527.25 & 559.25Mhz respectively, which are the closest channels to 610Mhz~ if u can get perfect CNA reception, chances of receiving hd5 is higher~ :s22:

i think the contractor dont want to do anything leh, cos he ask me wait until T2 roll out end of this year and as for the time being, watch from SCV point :(

anyway, long time ago i bought a DVB-T set top box, i now waiting for my HDMI cable to arrive, then i connect it to my tv. so i can switch between digital and analogue without changing the antenna.

btw, i tried the 720p digital CH8/5/CNA, very pixelated on my screen. i think my LG tv cannot do a good upsize

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
yes, but for CHU very very grainy. other channels are just less grainier..
Call hdb again, this time tell them U bad and other channels no good, don't mention hd channels.

I suppose you didn't mention this earlier, that's why the contractor didn't bother to turn up.

Edit: the contractor is paid by hdb to do maintenance.

Last edited:

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
those type of obiang one got dish in front and 2 extendable antenna behind. need electricity and can adjust the power.

Do take note when u use powered antenna. Sometimes such antenna boost certain frequencies and attenuate other frequencies... if the channel u are interested is in the boosting range then ok, otherwise u might not be able to tune to the channel. :o

sunsetbay

Reaction score
i think the contractor dont want to do anything leh, cos he ask me wait until T2 roll out end of this year and as for the time being, watch from SCV point :(

anyway, long time ago i bought a DVB-T set top box, i now waiting for my HDMI cable to arrive, then i connect it to my tv. so i can switch between digital and analogue without changing the antenna.

btw, i tried the 720p digital CH8/5/CNA, very pixelated on my screen. i think my LG tv cannot do a good upsize

the contractor just wanna get the easy way out~ my experience, the hdb contractor asked me why i wanna connect to rooftop antenna, i told them i wanna watch tv2 and my tv is near the MATV point instead of scv point (i made up the story)~ they told me, im the only households that connected MATV in the whole block~

anyway, i complain to hdb officer again and they got the contractor fix the reception w/o question ask~ :s22:

Last edited:

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
those type of obiang one got dish in front and 2 extendable antenna behind. need electricity and can adjust the power.

ya me go buy buy one soundtech one see see if can view better liao...HDB antenna cant receive digital liao...

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
After I posted my comment, manual rescan my samsung tv on chan29, message says "3 channels are memorised". Rescan chan38, message says "4 channels are memorised.

For clarity, channels in message means frequencies, or programmes, if you like.

Confirmed dig 5, dig 8 and dig CNA are on both channels on my tv. Can you please verify at your end?

Note: the meaning of channel got to be taken in context.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
the contractor just wanna get the easy way out~ my experience, the hdb contractor asked me why i wanna connect to rooftop antenna, i told them i wanna watch tv2 and my tv is near the MATV point instead of scv point (i made up the story)~ they told me, im the only households that connected MATV in the whole block~

anyway, i complain to hdb officer again and they got the contractor fix the reception w/o question ask~ :s22:
You were being nice. Actually there is no need to make up story.

Forumers please note that hdb contractors are paid on contract basis to maintain the whole installation, not on per job basis. Don't be fooled to allow contractors to get paid for not doing his job.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Do take note when u use powered antenna. Sometimes such antenna boost certain frequencies and attenuate other frequencies... if the channel u are interested is in the boosting range then ok, otherwise u might not be able to tune to the channel. :o
Such apparent behaviour can be cause by low cost design. It can also be affected by localised uneven signal strength for different channels.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

Nice move there! :o

In my opinion, gahmen shouldn't shirk away from their responsibility in providing reliable rooftop antenna especially when the analog-to-digital TV transition is upcoming.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
After I posted my comment, manual rescan my samsung tv on chan29, message says "3 channels are memorised". Rescan chan38, message says "4 channels are memorised.

For clarity, channels in message means frequencies, or programmes, if you like.

Confirmed dig 5, dig 8 and dig CNA are on both channels on my tv. Can you please verify at your end?

Note: the meaning of channel got to be taken in context.

Channel means channel, frequency means frequency. This is especially important in digital TV since one frequency can carry 2 or more TV channels, instead of the previous 1-to-1 mapping between channel and frequency (that is, one analog channel per frequency).

Btw yes, there are in fact 7 channels detected. 3 are on 538Mhz (previously dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, but now showing black), 4 are on 610Mhz (dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, HD5).

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Channel means channel, frequency means frequency. This is especially important in digital TV since one frequency can carry 2 or more TV channels, instead of the previous 1-to-1 mapping between channel and frequency (that is, one analog channel per frequency).
Yep, technically orientated people generally should know. It is through forum like this that I hope more people can understand the difference.

Btw yes, there are in fact 7 channels detected. 3 are on 538Mhz (previously dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, but now showing black), 4 are on 610Mhz (dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, HD5).
Thanks for checking. So it looks like MediaCorp just change without public announcement.

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thanks for checking. So it looks like MediaCorp just change without public announcement.
Currently having all the 4 DVB-T channels on the same frequency is good, as it means there is no need to use a dual tuner to record 2 channels. In fact, a single tuner can record all the 4 channels on the same frequency at the same time.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
they announced it on the old channels with the scrolling message~ :s22:

You misunderstood me:

In post #258, Kiwi8 wrote: ... Currently all the channels are on 610Mhz after MediaCorp moved the non-HD channels CH5, CH8 and CNA (previously 538Mhz) to be the same with HD5 @ 610Mhz.

In post #261, mrsun18 wrote: Wow, things change so fast, hard to keep track, since when? ...

In post #266, Kiwi8 wrote: According to the thread created, probably earlier than 14 March 2013...

In post #270, mrsun18 wrote: After I posted my comment, manual rescan my samsung tv on chan29, message says "3 channels are memorised". Rescan chan38, message says "4 channels are memorised....

In post #274, Kiwi wrote: ...there are in fact 7 channels detected. 3 are on 538Mhz (previously dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, but now showing black), 4 are on 610Mhz (dig 5, dig 8, dig CNA, HD5).

In post #277, mrsun18 wrote:

... So it looks like MediaCorp just change without public announcement.

I was referring to lack of announcement when ch29 was back on air. Or did I have the wrong impression that MediaCorp stopped transmission on ch29 from 14 Mar and then restart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.