[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayner

Reaction score
Just curiously, is there any compelling reason to host your own SMTP server ? There is no need to host your own SMTP server within your premises. You can always colo host one in data centers, or you can also make use of AWS SES as your outgoing SMTP server, or buy a Google App service.

I could be mistaken when you mentioned email server. Are you referring incoming SMTP server for your domain, or are you referring to outgoing SMTP server to send out emails ? I was more referring to outgoing SMTP server in my previous response to you.

However it is common to find incoming and outgoing SMTP servers are hosted under the same MTA and used for dual purpose.

Actually I just want to set up a mail server for own use such as own email account instead of using gmail etc.Didnt know it so complex. Thanks for explaining but I really do not understand the difference between incoming or outgoing smtp server.

Rayner

Reaction score
No previliage

I keep getting disconnected when I am using 3G to access my NAS via DSM mobile. Each time I will have this message"You Dont have enough previliage". Do you all experience this?

Desmond_

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
I keep getting disconnected when I am using 3G to access my NAS via DSM mobile. Each time I will have this message"You Dont have enough previliage". Do you all experience this?

same issue with my 3G :(

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I just want to set up a mail server for own use such as own email account instead of using gmail etc.Didnt know it so complex. Thanks for explaining but I really do not understand the difference between incoming or outgoing smtp server.

Oh yes. Mail workflows are pretty complicated for starters. It involves protocols on domain names, smtp, imap or pop3. You also need to understand various MTA and MSA such as sendmail, postfix, exim, dovecot, courier etc.

Either of those above systems may provide overlapping responsibility in the whole mail workflow.

Basically a simplistic view for your understanding on how email works can be as follows

2gvqa3b.png

In between the above diagram, various technologies are at work. Which smtp server for the outgoing mails to be delivered to ? How to resolve the target smtp server for domain name, eg: abc.com

What happens when your incoming smtp server is down ? What happens to mails meant for your domain ? How should you fight spam emails ? Where should you store incoming mails received by the incoming smtp server ? Which system should you use to setup IMAP/POP3 for your email client (aka MUA) to connect to to retrieve email ? How do you provide email accounts in your SMTP server to serve email for your domain ? What if other smtp servers tried to send emails to you for domains not under your charge ? How do you protect your smtp server from been an open smtp server ?

Do you want to employ any antispam/antivirus protection on your incoming smtp server to protect against spam ? What technique would you employ to prefer D/DOS ? What happens to your mails should your email server goes down ?

These are some of the groundworks offered by email services today in the industry. If you want to set up an email server, you need to know all these, or else you are really looking for trouble :)

That being said, I'm not discouraging from attempting, do try it work if you really want to own your email server, but it's not an easy task. The kind of technologies you will touch on just to get a decent email server running can be very rewarding to your career if you are working in the technological industry.

Last edited:

rza29

Master Member
Reaction score
is synology really tat more reliable than other brands as the price is really ex compared with lesser know brands

ches77

Reaction score
Anyone done any transcoding in their Synology NAS, mainly from RMVB to MP4 for playing the show on smart tv?
Please state which model of the NAS you using.
Thank you.

rza29

Master Member
Reaction score
more or less made up my mind on qnap ts-269L and synology ds-213+. qnap has 2 gb ports for port trunking...which is better?

nephilim

Reaction score
:mad:

1076949_10151784899186563_1727506222_o.jpg

The story:

1. Volume 1 went into "Degraded Mode" with Disk 4 status "Not Initialized"

2. I clicked Repair in Storage Manager and my NAS was up again after 24 hours of repair.

3. After a day without any issue, Volume 1 suddenly went into "Degraded Mode" again with Disk 4 now being "Crashed".

4. I restarted the NAS and suddenly Disk 2 went down as well albeit with status "Initialized".

As mine is a DS412+ on RAID 5 SHR, two disk failure = "VOLUME CRASHED".

All HDDs are WD Red 3Tb, everything bought in Jan 2013.

Am I really so suay with 2 WD Reds crashing at the same time or is there something wrong with my NAS??? :mad:

midustouch

Reaction score
1. Did you have a power failure?
2. It is possible that for multiple failures if the harddisk manufacturing batch has some problems. What's the manufacturing date of the HDDs?

Edit: this looks like corruption problem not at hardware problem.

:mad:

1076949_10151784899186563_1727506222_o.jpg

The story:

1. Volume 1 went into "Degraded Mode" with Disk 4 status "Not Initialized"

2. I clicked Repair in Storage Manager and my NAS was up again after 24 hours of repair.

3. After a day without any issue, Volume 1 suddenly went into "Degraded Mode" again with Disk 4 now being "Crashed".

4. I restarted the NAS and suddenly Disk 2 went down as well albeit with status "Initialized".

As mine is a DS412+ on RAID 5 SHR, two disk failure = "VOLUME CRASHED".

All HDDs are WD Red 3Tb, everything bought in Jan 2013.

Am I really so suay with 2 WD Reds crashing at the same time or is there something wrong with my NAS??? :mad:

nephilim

Reaction score
1. Did you have a power failure?
2. It is possible that for multiple failures if the harddisk manufacturing batch has some problems. What's the manufacturing date of the HDDs?

Edit: this looks like corruption problem not at hardware problem.

1. No power failure. Furthermore I have a UPS.
2. Possible as I bought my 4 x WD Red together with my DS412+ at the same time. Will check the date when I get back to office later.
3. Corruption problem was what I initially thought when Disk 4 first went down (status was "Not Initialized"). As such, I chose not to replace it but did a repair of the volume which was successful initially.

A day later (i.e. yesterday) Disk 4 status showed as "Crashed" with Disk 2 now showing as "Initialized" but with no data on it.

At this stage I'm pretty sure Disk 4 has a hardware failure but I'm not sure whether to replace Disk 2 as well.

P.S. Just to confuse me further, Disk 4 (the one that crashed) status has now changed to "Not Initialized" :s11:

Vulpix

Reaction score
1. No power failure. Furthermore I have a UPS.
2. Possible as I bought my 4 x WD Red together with my DS412+ at the same time. Will check the date when I get back to office later.
3. Corruption problem was what I initially thought when Disk 4 first went down (status was "Not Initialized"). As such, I chose not to replace it but did a repair of the volume which was successful initially.

A day later (i.e. yesterday) Disk 4 status showed as "Crashed" with Disk 2 now showing as "Initialized" but with no data on it.

At this stage I'm pretty sure Disk 4 has a hardware failure but I'm not sure whether to replace Disk 2 as well.

P.S. Just to confuse me further, Disk 4 (the one that crashed) status has now changed to "Not Initialized" :s11:

Did you manage to replace the drive yet?

nephilim

Reaction score
An update:

This are the status of my HDDs currently (notice that Disk 4 which has crashed passed the SMART test, but Disk 2 which is only suspected to be corrupted failed the SMART test :s11: ):

981770_10151786542706563_1351410412_o.jpg

The manufacturing dates of Disk 2 (left) and Disk 4 (right):

1075398_10151786542656563_477479914_o.jpg

The manufacturing dates of Disk 1 (left) and Disk 3 (right):

1074111_10151786542671563_1847363793_o.jpg

As you can see, all 4 x HDDs belong to the same batch. So I'm wondering if I should RMA all four (based on reason of faulty batch)?

Did you manage to replace the drive yet?

I'm presently waiting for Synology tech support to remotely "upgrade" the crashed volume to "Crashed Readable" in order for me to retrieve my data as detailed here: Synology Inc. Online Community Forum • View topic - volume crashed data recovery?

At the same I've also sent them my debug log file with the hope that they may be able to determine exactly which of the hardware has failed (i.e. Disk 2, Disk 4 or the NAS itself).

Haven't said that, I've yet to hear anything from them till now :(

Vulpix

Reaction score
You can't just assume entire batch spoilt just because 2 faulty. If you swap your working disk into the faulty slot, got same issue?

OrionTuition

Banned
Reaction score
suffering from space constrain :(

what is the most compact UPS that can signal the NAS to shutdown in the event of power interruption?
Those i saw are all too big for my space :(

dun need huge reserve time, enuff for NAS to shut can liao

shadowandy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
An update:

This are the status of my HDDs currently (notice that Disk 4 which has crashed passed the SMART test, but Disk 2 which is only suspected to be corrupted failed the SMART test :s11: ):

981770_10151786542706563_1351410412_o.jpg

The manufacturing dates of Disk 2 (left) and Disk 4 (right):

1075398_10151786542656563_477479914_o.jpg

The manufacturing dates of Disk 1 (left) and Disk 3 (right):

1074111_10151786542671563_1847363793_o.jpg

As you can see, all 4 x HDDs belong to the same batch. So I'm wondering if I should RMA all four (based on reason of faulty batch)?

I'm presently waiting for Synology tech support to remotely "upgrade" the crashed volume to "Crashed Readable" in order for me to retrieve my data as detailed here: Synology Inc. Online Community Forum • View topic - volume crashed data recovery?

At the same I've also sent them my debug log file with the hope that they may be able to determine exactly which of the hardware has failed (i.e. Disk 2, Disk 4 or the NAS itself).

Haven't said that, I've yet to hear anything from them till now :(

Hope everything will turn out fine for you. My DS412+ was also running WD 3TB Red and encountered the same issue as you. One of the disk went down shortly after I bought it. Reinitialized disk and only to find that the same disk fails shortly after that. SMART test shows that the disk is good.

But I guess I was lucky. I replaced the disk after the second failure (same disk) and repaired the Synology RAID Volume. Until now it is running fine. Crossing my fingers.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hope everything will turn out fine for you. My DS412+ was also running WD 3TB Red and encountered the same issue as you. One of the disk went down shortly after I bought it. Reinitialized disk and only to find that the same disk fails shortly after that. SMART test shows that the disk is good.

But I guess I was lucky. I replaced the disk after the second failure (same disk) and repaired the Synology RAID Volume. Until now it is running fine. Crossing my fingers.

Seems like the RED drives are not as reliable as one would think. I had one faulty WD RED drive recently also.

shadowandy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seems like the RED drives are not as reliable as one would think. I had one faulty WD RED drive recently also.

Like what some of you suspected, I too think that it is more of a batch issue. The 4 Reds I have are from the same batch. :|

One thing for sure is now I schedule a SMART check weekly for all disks and make sure I pay attention to them should anything happens. Just one step short of having a cold spare 3TB red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.