Microsoft Surface

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Do you all use your Surface and watch videos in public? I did that today and find that it's a little too big. Very attention seeking, but loving the big screen at the same time.

I saw a Samsung Ativ PC tablet on mrt today :) seems to be getting more common nowadays..

and for the lol... don't worry. Its only a matter of time before we see this on MRT:
panasonic-20-inch-4k-tablet-top.jpg

:)

Last edited:

belgarathc

Reaction score
Anybody has any suitable sleeve for surface rt + type/touch keyboard to recommend from Amazon?

chuweisiao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have lobang to get surface rt at educational pricing. Only for own usage, if u are buying to sell. please find someone else. pm me if interested.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
That's no different from folks using other 10-inch tablets ;)

Do you all use your Surface and watch videos in public? I did that today and find that it's a little too big. Very attention seeking, but loving the big screen at the same time.

roflolmao

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why do some people say that the pro is better than the RT?

RT comes with office right? It seems as if it should be alright if you are bringing it about (compared to an ipad)

CherylW

Reaction score
The Pro is superior fairly obvious reasons, to sum in one word versatility. 1080.

Microsoft had to write off their RT inventory during its last qtr earnings due to lukewarm response and are slashing prices to clear. Whether arm devices are sustainable in the LR is still a question mark. In the first place price rollout was wrong.

For the consumer it cld be a deal to get the RT at this time.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
The Pro is superior fairly obvious reasons, to sum in one word versatility. 1080.

Microsoft had to write off their RT inventory during its last qtr earnings due to lukewarm response and are slashing prices to clear. Whether arm devices are sustainable in the LR is still a question mark. In the first place price rollout was wrong.

For the consumer it cld be a deal to get the RT at this time.

Its not that the RT is a bad device, Microsoft choose to price it the same as the iPad and not undercut it. Remember Motorola that released the first Android tablet at an even higher pricing than the iPad and failed miserably?

RT actually does a lot more than the baby apps on Android and iOS tablet that's only for entertainment. It can runs Office, full system management, adobe flash, etc, multi tasking, etc

Not to mention, you can also jailbreak it to run recompiled desktop apps like VNC, Audacity, Putty, FTP, NotePad++, Z Zip, etc
Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers
RT is basically a full blown Windows that's capable of actually running anything recompiled for ARM. Its just restriction put in place to make developers develop more touch based apps.

Up till now I still carry my Surface RT around, depending on my usage. If I need Visual Studio I'll bring the pro out instead. RT can well last over 8 hours of continuous usage, and a full day.

Last edited:

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its not that the RT is a bad device, Microsoft choose to price it the same as the iPad and not undercut it. Remember Motorola that released the first Android tablet at an even higher pricing than the iPad and failed miserably?

RT actually does a lot more than the baby apps on Android and iOS tablet that's only for entertainment. It can runs Office, full system management, adobe flash, etc, multi tasking, etc

Not to mention, you can also jailbreak it to run recompiled desktop apps like VNC, Audacity, Putty, FTP, NotePad++, Z Zip, etc
Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers
RT is basically a full blown Windows that's capable of actually running anything recompiled for ARM. Its just restriction put in place to make developers develop more touch based apps.

Up till now I still carry my Surface RT around, depending on my usage. If I need Visual Studio I'll bring the pro out instead. RT can well last over 8 hours of continuous usage, and a full day.
No doubt it's a good device. But without LTE on the go, it's inconvenience for me. Hence, I choose the Android tablet with LTE, really can do task like excel, Words, office emails ect. LTE is convenience for people like me who travel to client sites esp banks who dun have wireless due to security constrained.

Depends on individuals, RT might be sufficient for some, some might need more.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Well that depends too.
I've seen market research reports that sales for tablets with data connectivity options account for a small slice of the pie as opposed to the Wi-Fi only variants.

The thing is, your smartphone can act as an excellent instant hot-spot for data connectivity for your tablet. And the battery life doesn't deplete in any way as scarily as does a phone with its display turned on for the same period of time. Simply said, most people rather save money and buy a tablet without data-connectivity and use their phone to provide ad-hoc internet access. The cost difference is between $100 to $200 - depending on the device in question.

I've used my 2 year-old phone for long periods of data connectivity on-the-go and it can last for a long time to assist my tablet or notebook.

If this cost difference doesn't exist, the debate would be totally different.

But in any case, your final comment stands - for some people the RT will suffice and for others, it won't. However, there are many who just chase specs blindly without giving the underdog a chance or give it an actual try. Obviously the Pro is better, but it comes with its caveats too.

No doubt it's a good device. But without LTE on the go, it's inconvenience for me. Hence, I choose the Android tablet with LTE, really can do task like excel, Words, office emails ect. LTE is convenience for people like me who travel to client sites esp banks who dun have wireless due to security constrained.

Depends on individuals, RT might be sufficient for some, some might need more.

tohchr

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well that depends too.
I've seen market research reports that tablets with data connectivity options account for a small slice of the pie as opposed to the Wi-Fi only variants.

The thing is, your smartphone can act as an excellent instant hot-spot for data connectivity for your tablet. And the battery life doesn't deplete in any way as scarily as does a phone with its display turned on for the same period of time. Simply said, most people rather save money and buy a tablet without data-connectivity and use their phone to provide ad-hoc internet access. The cost difference is between $100 to $200 - depending on the device in question.

I've used my 2 year-old phone for long periods of data connectivity on-the-go and it can last for a long time to assist my tablet or notebook.

If this cost difference doesn't exist, the debate would be totally different.

But in any case, your final comment stands - for some people the RT will suffice and for others, it won't. However, there are many who just chase specs blindly without giving the underdog a chance or give it an actual try. Obviously the Pro is better, but it comes with its caveats too.
In a way I do agreed with u. However, with the high volume of incoming calls, I doubt the tethering connections would be suitable for me. Hence, a tablet with LTE option would be a better choice for me as I had multi-sim service as well.

ArleFK

Reaction score
There is another option of getting wifi on RT/Pro, which is to get a MiFi device, definitely cheaper than spending the extra amount on a tablet with LTE option. Tablets with LTE would be quite draining on the battery also:)

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
There is another option of getting wifi on RT/Pro, which is to get a MiFi device, definitely cheaper than spending the extra amount on a tablet with LTE option. Tablets with LTE would be quite draining on the battery also:)

how does this mifi thing works, reading about it but don't quite understand...

kinbalight

Reaction score
how does this mifi thing works, reading about it but don't quite understand...

it's like a wireless modem, you insert the SIM card into the device, and it will esetablish connection to the telco directly.

then you connect your laptop/tablet/phone to the device via wifi directly

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
MiFi is basically a Mobile Hotspot. The newer ones have 4G while the older ones are 3G HSPA only.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. so does it means i can request for dual sim, and use one of my sim card for the mifi device?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.