Soundbar discussion thread II [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, the shape of the room is very important. Size as well I figure.

Take the pic below for e.g. The living room is very long. If you add the bedroom as well, its actually an inverted "L" shape.

5kiv7s.jpg

I can imagine this is going to be havoc for the sound bar with the sound waves bouncing all over the place. Since the room is not an ideal shape, would it then be worth it to pay close to $4000 for a high end sound bar such as the Yamaha YSP5100 or should one just settle for a mid end sound bar costing less than half the price such as the Yamaha YSP2200? Or heck, even those lower end sound bars costing a 3 figure sum?

I appreciate the more expensive models may have better sound but again, the issue now is the odd shape of the room. If the shape is going to screw things up (for a lack of a better phrase), is it still worth it investing in a high end sound bar?

One solution I suppose is to close the sliding door outside the bedroom and perhaps install another sliding door beside the bomb shelter. That would help make the living room smaller and more squarish in shape.

However that may not be practically 'cos firstly I figure its not cheap installing a sliding door. Secondly, a 2 room flat is small enough as it is, the more stuff you add (even if its a mere sliding door), that is just going to make the space smaller.

petetherock

Reaction score
You won't get a proper surround effect.
Best to get a real system or just get the front three and settle for wireless rears.
You will need to audition the models you want to see if the bass, and the sound suits you.

Last edited:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You won't get a proper surround effect.
Best to get a real system or just get the front three and settled for wireless rears.
Space issue lah. 2 room flat really damn small. May not sound like much having an amp and 5 speakers but when you are short of space already, literally every inch counts.

The thing is, since I won't get proper surround effect, is it still worth it to invest in a high end bar? I guess not right? Probably better to just get a 3 figure sound bar to give me something a bit better than the default TV sound?

tekster

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maybe instead of installing a sliding door, can install curtains instead.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If sound bar use in bed room should be good but not in Living Room. Just my thinking...

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on the model. I use Yamaha YSP for living hall so far quite impress with the performance.

If sound bar use in bed room should be good but not in Living Room. Just my thinking...

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It's just more controlled in smaller space, but it also ultimately depends on the model's capabilities and the kind of surfaces/furniture in the actual space that can help with the cause of using sound bars in a larger space.

Last but not least - personal expectations, one's existing sense of what sounds "good/bad", and what are they changing from.

Magnus is pretty happy with his purchase. So given the right circumstances (and very importantly considering the personal aspect mentioned above), good sound bars can do a good job.

Depending on the model. I use Yamaha YSP for living hall so far quite impress with the performance.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Frankly speaking, sound bars at that price range are nothing but loud dedicated speakers with a sub-standard sub.

They will definitely have more presence and volume then what the TV can muster, but I've not encountered quality delivery at that price.

At the price point, an old-school 5.1-HT-in-a-box package will offer more value and features.

Then again, it all depends on expectations.

Any brand recommendation for below $500 as budget for new TV also.. :s22::s22::s22:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
tekster's suggestion is a good one.

But where are you intending to have the TV and speakers?
Opposite the bedroom or on the wall adjacent to the bedroom?

Placing it on the wall adjacent the bedroom side of things is the most apt (personal POV), cos it will give you a more elongated space, but at least you can place the TV/AV stuff centrally to project through the elongated space. As long as the bedroom has sliding glass door/partition/etc. I think a sound bar would do a job fine.

Something of the YSP-2100/2200 caliber would be good from what I last auditioned. They are clearing that model now, so the pricing is worthwhile to get.

Space issue lah. 2 room flat really damn small. May not sound like much having an amp and 5 speakers but when you are short of space already, literally every inch counts.

The thing is, since I won't get proper surround effect, is it still worth it to invest in a high end bar? I guess not right? Probably better to just get a 3 figure sound bar to give me something a bit better than the default TV sound?

maybe instead of installing a sliding door, can install curtains instead.

magnus

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dr Vijay,

Agree with u on this. Bought my Yamaha YSP SB with a sub for around 2.8k. There are indeed many options for a proper 5.1 set up at that price range.

At the price point, an old-school 5.1-HT-in-a-box package will offer more value and features.

Then again, it all depends on expectations.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tekster's suggestion is a good one.

But where are you intending to have the TV and speakers?
Opposite the bedroom or on the wall adjacent to the bedroom?

Placing it on the wall adjacent the bedroom side of things is the most apt (personal POV), cos it will give you a more elongated space, but at least you can place the TV/AV stuff centrally to project through the elongated space. As long as the bedroom has sliding glass door/partition/etc. I think a sound bar would do a job fine.

Something of the YSP-2100/2200 caliber would be good from what I last auditioned. They are clearing that model now, so the pricing is worthwhile to get.
If you refer to the floor plan I posted, the TV will be pretty much in the same area i.e. in the living room.

I know a 5.1 traditional home theatre set up is still the best but I just don't have space for 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a centre speaker, a sub-woofer and an amp. A 2 room flat is cramped enough without additional stuff lying around.

Was at Best Denki over the weekend and heard a Samsung sound bar. Wasn't very impressed. Just sounded "wide" but that was about it.

petetherock

Reaction score
If you refer to the floor plan I posted, the TV will be pretty much in the same area i.e. in the living room.

I know a 5.1 traditional home theatre set up is still the best but I just don't have space for 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a centre speaker, a sub-woofer and an amp. A 2 room flat is cramped enough without additional stuff lying around.

Was at Best Denki over the weekend and heard a Samsung sound bar. Wasn't very impressed. Just sounded "wide" but that was about it.[/QUOTE]
You have your answer on how effective the SB will be...
Just get a two speaker setup and enjoy good stereo music instead.
A SB doesn't work for every home.
By using a stereo system, you don't pay for the extra speakers and tech.
Add a simple BR player. Simple can mean good sound and still look neat.

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Looks like a corner placement such as what's shown isn't ideal - be it for a 5.1 setup or a sound bar. But let's go with some questions - how important and necessary is surround sound for you? If you're more keen on ensuring your front, center and right channels are better represented, a compromise, then you should be okay with whichever setup you decide.

Much of what's heard is produced by these 3 channels with the rears only chipping in to create enveloping audio. By default, most sound bars (minus the expensive ones) have a hard time recreating accurate surround sound anyway, so I presume you're not overly concerned on the accuracy or quality of surround (if any). Another point of concern is the corner placement which might require some audio tweaking to create a better balanced audio output.

If hearing the 3 main channels are what you need to be content with, it's then time to audition quality sound bar systems.

Samsung, well, I've not heard their latest to see if they've made progress. In any case, they are running a trial-user campaign if someone's interested:-
http://campaign.hardwarezone.com.sg/samsunghomeav/

Philips is very well integrated as a package and has the least number of controls and components to grapple with such as the HTS-9150:-
Philips - SoundBar Home theater 3D Blu-ray Aluminium Wall mountable - HTB9150/98 - Home cinema sound - Fidelio - Sound and vision

An even simpler one would be the HTS-5120:-
Philips - Soundbar speaker HTL5120/12 - SoundBar with Blu-ray - Home cinema sound - Sound and vision
(In the US, there's a 9100 model that has wireless surround speakers that can attach or detach from the main front speakers; really cool but doesn't retail here).

Next up in the quality chain would be to check out the Yamaha YHT-2100/2200. But the price doesn't include a Blu-ray player, so that's a separate deck.

*edit - I just noticed Petehock posted above as well - do heed his advise if all you intend is just good quality audio listening. my inputs are more towards movie watching.*

Was at Best Denki over the weekend and heard a Samsung sound bar. Wasn't very impressed. Just sounded "wide" but that was about it.

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well i would like surround sound but recognise that a sound bar may not be able to recreate that esp lower end sound bars & if the room is odd shaped.

Guess i will just make do with good "frontal" sound i.e. if got surround that's great if not too bad.

truffle1234

Reaction score

I am with you my friend I am more then happy with my YSP5100 and I am using SW 700. as it auto calibrate the sound bar and I can twek it I want. 5.1 sound is very good and I enjoy all my bluray.

Dr. Vijay has a point that for $3k plus I could have an Amp, 5.1/7.1 speakers. but I have to run cables, when I move I have to re run the cables... its a lot of hassle.. also I needed to connect wii, bluray, cable, and a media player. a lot of amp only had 1-3 hdmi inputs, and my 5100 has 4 hdmi inputs, supports all the HD sounds.

most of the users are compering sound projectors with 2.1 soundbars, which is like compering a bicycle with a car...

jnashville

Banned
Reaction score
Well i would like surround sound but recognise that a sound bar may not be able to recreate that esp lower end sound bars & if the room is odd shaped.

Guess i will just make do with good "frontal" sound i.e. if got surround that's great if not too bad.

My living room also odd shape as a normal hdb living room, the dining area is longated..

so which frontal speakers to recommend? or should i still get a sound bar?

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Decision would be based on your importance and requirements. Here's a basic path to consider:

- primary usage is for audio listening? bookshelf speakers + amp
- primary usage for movie? 5.1-channel home theater of your budget.
- primarily want better audio than TV but limited space and not concerned of surround accuracy - sound bar

My living room also odd shape as a normal hdb living room, the dining area is longated..

so which frontal speakers to recommend? or should i still get a sound bar?

tinydot

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I always a wanted a soundbar for neatness, but based on the floorplan below, is it advisable to put a soundbar? or 2.1 would be a better option? seems that the living room doesn't have much walls to bounce. thanks

r0cUlIN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.