[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how much is to purchase the additional 4 Lic surveillance Pack for Synology?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
ReleaseNote DS1512+ - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

21+ updates
Windows Offloaded Data Transfer (ODX) Support
SSD TRIM Support
SSD Cache
Trust Domain Support in Active Directory
Broader LDAP Client Support
NFS
Speed Limit Scheduler
Task Scheduler
Self-service Password Recovery
HFS+ Support
File Station
Advance Options for Windows File Service (SMB)
Package Center
Disk Usage Report
3G/4G USB Dongle Support
Wi-Fi Hotspot Enhancements
DSM Update
Misc.
Mobile Apps (Coming Soon)...

lingcw

Reaction score
Anyone using the Photo Station Uploader to upload their photos?
Does it resolve of the issue of high cpu load on the synology NAS when trying to generate thumbnails?

Thanks in advance.

ghostly

Reaction score
Anyone using the Photo Station Uploader to upload their photos?
Does it resolve of the issue of high cpu load on the synology NAS when trying to generate thumbnails?

Thanks in advance.

yes...its normal...its similar to indexing...

lingcw

Reaction score
yes...its normal...its similar to indexing...

Thanks for your reply but I do not understand what you are trying to tell me... so is the issue resolve?

To clarify:

Previously, whenever we upload a bunch of photos to the NAS, the CPU load will be running at full capacity for quite a while to create thumbnails. This will impact the performance of the NAS.

A couple of months back, Synology release a PC/Mac software call Photo Station Uploader which they claim...
"Photo Station Uploader is an app for bulk uploading photos and videos to Photo Station. It creates thumbnails and converts videos to playable and high quality formats using the processing power of your computer instead of consuming the system resources of your DiskStation."

So I am just wondering if anyone has tried using the uploader and does it really offload the CPU intensive duty to the computer.

ghostly

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply but I do not understand what you are trying to tell me... so is the issue resolve?

To clarify:

Previously, whenever we upload a bunch of photos to the NAS, the CPU load will be running at full capacity for quite a while to create thumbnails. This will impact the performance of the NAS.

A couple of months back, Synology release a PC/Mac software call Photo Station Uploader which they claim...
"Photo Station Uploader is an app for bulk uploading photos and videos to Photo Station. It creates thumbnails and converts videos to playable and high quality formats using the processing power of your computer instead of consuming the system resources of your DiskStation."

So I am just wondering if anyone has tried using the uploader and does it really offload the CPU intensive duty to the computer.

ok...if u are saying a offsite software for this...im unsure...so wait for some1 tat uses it...but if u drag n drop the photo into the NAS photo folder, it will create the thumbnail and index it...so high cpu is normal

Ferderico

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a silly question. I am trying to access my disk station and usually i just type in the IP address and filling in the user ID and password and i could get in.

This morning when i keyed in the IP address it brought me to this page:

Hello! Welcome to Synology Web Station!

The Web Station service is enabled. You can now create you own website on DiskStation. Please follow steps below to build, and publish your website online.

Log in to DiskStation Manager, and go to Control Panel > Shared Folder. Select web shared folder and click Privileges button. Assign user privileges for accessing the web shared folder.
(Create web pages, and) Upload your pages to the web shared folder.
Make sure the homepage of your website is named index.php, index.htm, or index.html.
Connect to http://servername/ with a web browser to view your website.
How to publish my website?

To publish your website and make it available for people on the Internet, you need to set your DiskStation to use an external IP address.

Log in to your Synology DiskStation as admin or users belonging to the administrators group.
Go to Main Menu > EZ-Internet to launch the wizard which will assist you in setting up Internet access to DiskStation.
Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the setup process.
Choose the network environment you are currently using:
Directly connect to the Internet: Connect using DSL or cable modem or LAN that does not require username and password.
Broadband (PPPoE): Connect using a DSL or cable modem that requires username and password given by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
Through a router: Connect to a router and set up port forwarding rules.
Go through settings including firewall, port forwarding and DDNS service depending on your network environment types.
Confirm settings.
Finished!
Now, people on the Internet can browse through your website by connecting to http://serverIP/ or http://DDNS_hostname/ with a web browser.

What happened?

tane0019

Reaction score
HELP - My DS212+ Cannot Boot-up

Received 3 separate emails all within the same 1 mins - unable to react & now, cannot boot up properly
Keep hearing something like the HDD -1 trying to find some missing data like that

My NAS Kaput or my HDD-1 crashed ?

My NAS = Synology DS212+
Both HDD = 3TB Seagate

Email 1:-
System volume (Root) on SynologyDS has entered degraded mode. (Total number of hard drives: 2; number of active hard drives: 1)
Please reboot the system, and it will repair itself automatically on startup.

Email 2:-
System volume (Swap) on SynologyDS has entered degraded mode. (Total number of hard drives: 2; number of active hard drives: 1)
Please reboot the system, and it will repair itself automatically on startup.

Email 3:-
Volume 1 on SynologyDS has crashed. The system may not boot up.
To obtain further assistance, please contact Synology Online Support: synology.com

Swakoo

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Recommended IP Camera

Looking for a cost effective Camera that can work with the synology.

any recommendation? Planning to put it outside my door, so wireless will help

bomblastic

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a silly question. I am trying to access my disk station and usually i just type in the IP address and filling in the user ID and password and i could get in.

This morning when i keyed in the IP address it brought me to this page:

What happened?

Add :5000 behind your IP.

e.g 192.168.1.10:5000

lingcw

Reaction score
ok...if u are saying a offsite software for this...im unsure...so wait for some1 tat uses it...but if u drag n drop the photo into the NAS photo folder, it will create the thumbnail and index it...so high cpu is normal

I do understand there will be CPU load to create thumbnails. But I believe taking more than 1 min per thumbnail is kinda ridiculous. Btw, mine is the 413j.

Anyway, I do not have access to my NAS until the weekend, so will probably try it out if no one has any bad comment about it.

Again, thanks for your reply.

hendrikch

Reaction score
I do understand there will be CPU load to create thumbnails. But I believe taking more than 1 min per thumbnail is kinda ridiculous. Btw, mine is the 413j.

Anyway, I do not have access to my NAS until the weekend, so will probably try it out if no one has any bad comment about it.

For 413j, it's normal because the CPU. Look at 4-Bay NAS from Synology: Three Models Reviewed. Page 7 - X-bit labs

graph4.png

So you can use the Photo Station Uploader where your machine CPU will run 100% to generate thumbnails, and then send both the image and the thumbnails to the NAS, so NAS doesn't need to process them anymore.

Dexter71

Reaction score
hi

i am trying to set up for email notifications and I have entry my gmail and smtp.gmail.com. However it still does not send me anything when I hit test email.

Is there anything I missed?

Thx

shadowandy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi

i am trying to set up for email notifications and I have entry my gmail and smtp.gmail.com. However it still does not send me anything when I hit test email.

Is there anything I missed?

Thx

SMTP server: smtp.gmail.com
SMTP port: 465

hendrikch

Reaction score

Wow, I know it is slower but I wasn't expecting such a big differences...
Thanks for the info.

For 413j, I guess you need to use your desktop/laptop CPU to generate thumbnails with the Photo Station uploader. Otherwise, you'll be waiting a long long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.