Microsoft Surface

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I found the IE on RT not really that fantastic compared to the other browsers on other devices, so that just leaves Office as a plus. :(

wakakakaka

Reaction score
Is there anything in particular to take note of upon collection of the RT (from schools)? Can exchange 1-1 on the spot if the set given is defective?

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
anyone try installing Bluestacks on their Surface RT to run android apps?

Bluestacks only works for x86 Intel.
Just wait for the official apps to be on W8, android tablet ones are just scaled up phone apps that doesn't provide a good user experience.

Last edited:

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
do you all use local account to log in or sign in with your microsoft account?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
And until newer hardware comes along it's a package deal, at least for the Surface RT. :(

The fact that MS has to do all these Surfaces in secret explains why they're using outdated hardware (by 2012 standard). They couldn't get too many people involved or they'll break the secrecy.

So while the OS was ready, the hardware & App situation isn't. But it's also a chicken & egg story. No hardware, no eco-system. No eco-system, no customers. No customers, no developers.

NVidia has confirmed that they're working with Microsoft on Surface 2 but Nokia is rumoured to have Sirius using Snapdragon 800. So does Microsoft actually have 2 versions of RT 8.1?

I wonder how's Tegra 4 compared to Snapdragon 800... With most major apps ready or pledged for RT/8.1, it may have a chance although I think the best thing MS should do is to just put RT on WP9.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The fact that MS has to do all these Surfaces in secret explains why they're using outdated hardware (by 2012 standard). They couldn't get too many people involved or they'll break the secrecy.

So while the OS was ready, the hardware & App situation isn't. But it's also a chicken & egg story. No hardware, no eco-system. No eco-system, no customers. No customers, no developers.

NVidia has confirmed that they're working with Microsoft on Surface 2 but Nokia is rumoured to have Sirius using Snapdragon 800. So does Microsoft actually have 2 versions of RT 8.1?

I wonder how's Tegra 4 compared to Snapdragon 800... With most major apps ready or pledged for RT/8.1, it may have a chance although I think the best thing MS should do is to just put RT on WP9.
All the secrecy, all for naught. :(

Wouldn't surprise me if RT is scalable to support different processors, after all Android does it just fine.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
MS Account for me so my laptop+desktop is synchronized.

so does it means whatever files you put on desktop will appear on your tablet? and if tablet no internet connection means cannot access the files?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
All the secrecy, all for naught. :(

Wouldn't surprise me if RT is scalable to support different processors, after all Android does it just fine.

Well, it did surprise everyone but the problem is executing the marketing & PR. MS didn't do enough to differentiate RT & Pro. This caused confusion among even the retailers. Don't even need to mention end-users.

It's not too late because, Snapdragon S4 is not powerful enough for RT while Snapdragon 800 probably is. Moving forward it means phones will have the power to run RT so the logical move is for RT to move to mobile platforms.

It doesn't make sense for RT on tablet because next year, Intel Atom Baytrail will be powerful enough to run Win 8 at a good speed (for most tasks) with 10-12 hours battery, while Haswell will have 7-8 hours.

Android can be "easily" port to many platform because at the end of the day, it's a mobile OS with a MUCH smaller codebase than Windows.

My guess is Android probably occupy less than 100MB on ROM & 250MB in RAM. Compare this to Win RT which occupies 10GB on ROM & uses 600-800MB on boot.

It's a lot harder to port Windows because of all the thousands of pieces & drivers. I'm not holding my breath on seeing RT on Snapdragon actually unless MS is really serious in stripping RT down to fit on a smartphone.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
so does it means whatever files you put on desktop will appear on your tablet? and if tablet no internet connection means cannot access the files?

It means that if you want, you can have an almost exact working environment in terms of settings, bookmarks etc.

For Files, no. It's not Sync automatically because your tablet may not have the space as your desktop.

For cloud sync, you can use Skydrive to Sync Desktop<->Skydrive<->tablet. This is automatic but you have to manage all the restrictions in disk space.

For offline sync, you can use SyncToy which allow you to sync using any WiFi/LAN connection. Only restriction is available space on your tablet.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
It means that if you want, you can have an almost exact working environment in terms of settings, bookmarks etc.

For Files, no. It's not Sync automatically because your tablet may not have the space as your desktop.

For cloud sync, you can use Skydrive to Sync Desktop<->Skydrive<->tablet. This is automatic but you have to manage all the restrictions in disk space.

For offline sync, you can use SyncToy which allow you to sync using any WiFi/LAN connection. Only restriction is available space on your tablet.

okay thanks :o

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
US is making their USD$100 off Surface Pro for permanent. Wonder if that affects us here? Any news from IT show?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.