Microsoft buys Nokia's Devices and Services Unit

kopi22

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So moving forward, MS will in charge of the phone designs, software, and selling them, while Nokia continues with the mapping services, and perhaps camera technologies?

"Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire substantially all of Nokia’s Devices and Services business, including the Mobile Phones and Smart Devices business units as well as an industry-leading design team, operations including all Nokia Devices & Services-related production facilities, Devices & Services-related sales and marketing activities, and related support functions. At closing, approximately 32,000 people are expected to transfer to Microsoft, including 4,700 people in Finland and 18,300 employees directly involved in manufacturing, assembly and packaging of products worldwide. The operations that are planned to be transferred to Microsoft generated an estimated EUR 14.9 billion, or almost 50 percent of Nokia’s net sales for the full year 2012."

Microsoft to acquire Nokia under TERMS OF THE AGREEMENT.

MS better not screw up with the Lumia series designs... I like what they are now.... :(

Last edited:

bedlamite

Reaction score
If MS are smart they'll leave marketing and design to the Lumia team, if there's anything the Surface and Xbox 1 have taught us it's that their messaging is shyte, regardless of how good the product is

adix_82

Banned
Reaction score
If MS are smart they'll leave marketing and design to the Lumia team, if there's anything the Surface and Xbox 1 have taught us it's that their messaging is shyte, regardless of how good the product is

If baldmer is still in power, i can guarantee he will destroy lumia..

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
The problem is, Microsoft only have rights to 'Lumia' and 'Asha' brand. They CANNOT use the 'NOKIA', with the exception of feature phones.

I'm emotional :( I don't care who have the business.. I want that brand to stay and continue on.

--
Nokia shares have gone up close to 60% now, pre-market.. Is it wise to sell them off?
After shedding its device + service unit. NSN + HERE maps still worth a lot more than its current valuation when compared against Ericsson.

As expected.. Microsoft is down around 2%, like the Skype acquisition..

I see what you did there! LOL

180px-Steve_Ballmer_LOLWUT.png

Last edited:

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

Which is why Ballmer's retirement was announced before Nokia's acquisition. I sense there's A LOT of Bill Gate's way of doing thing here.

Don't be surprised if the new CEO is announced before the end of the year. & no it wouldn't be tomorrow because MS has hired an outside entity to vet through all potential candidates. These kind of things are only surprising & shocking to "outsiders".

adix_82

Banned
Reaction score
Which is why Ballmer's retirement was announced before Nokia's acquisition. I sense there's A LOT of Bill Gate's way of doing thing here.

Don't be surprised if the new CEO is announced before the end of the year. & no it wouldn't be tomorrow because MS has hired an outside entity to vet through all potential candidates. These kind of things are only surprising & shocking to "outsiders".

Elope is one of the candidate..

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, as mentioned in my article, Stephan Elop is a leading candidate but he's not the only candidate. At the end of the day, MS hiring an outside party means that they're going to do this based on merits, not on gut feel or favouritism because MS cannot afford to screw this up. In many ways, this is bigger than when Bill Gates stepped down.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
Yes, as mentioned in my article, Stephan Elop is a leading candidate but he's not the only candidate. At the end of the day, MS hiring an outside party means that they're going to do this based on merits, not on gut feel or favouritism because MS cannot afford to screw this up. In many ways, this is bigger than when Bill Gates stepped down.

I miss this... Would love to see a CEO as energetic & enthusiast as Ballmer.

sianz

Reaction score
Has to be Elop now. A device and services company needs a device and services CEO

scourge

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I hope Microsoft retains "Nokia" as the branding for phones. It will be a pity if the word "Nokia" disappears from the surface of the mobile phone world.

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got 100k in Nokia shares.. And its going to skyrocket a lot tonight.

this is the least expected, and what I don't hoped for..

but good luck :)

-------

waiting for Das Sadas the sheep to troll LOL!
I guessed you made a pile today? Treat for all of us? :D

ahtea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sad... I hope ms dun ruin nokia
I hope not too. And I hope at least the Asha branding will continue to serve non smartphone users (my mum just couldn't get use to smartphones).

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Brilliantly summarised by Gizmodo:

Why Microsoft Bought Nokia (And What It Means for You)

What This All Means to You

That's the only question that really matters, right? And the answers aren't particularly inspiring.

If you currently own a Windows Phone device and are frustrated by the lack of apps, I'm sorry to report that this won't help the situation any. If anything, it'll get worse; developers are already skittish about the lack of WP users, and the one thing this acquisition doesn't do is guarantee more of them. In fact, it will probably mean fewer (at least in the short-term), as explained directly below.

If you're thinking about owning a Windows Phone device, get ready to have a lot fewer options. Samsung and HTC are Microsoft's only other real partners, and what's currently half-hearted support will turn into no support pretty quickly after this consolidation. Sure, other OEMs stuck with Android after Google bought Motorola. But that's because they had to; Android's too dominant to ignore. Windows Phone barely registers.

If you couldn't care less about Windows Phone, carry on.

So that's where we're at; Nokia killing itself to live, Microsoft doubling down on meh, and people who dig live tiles with fewer shiny things to swipe them on. That's what $7.2 billion gets you these days.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.