Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

rescapind

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation.
Never actually thought of going into AC this early yet.
Mainly due to the price and AC is still new as compared to N.
However, i will take a look at the 2 options and see how it goes.

So applet is the one that is allowing all the configuration of VPN and customizing.

With the applet on router, you can choose which local IP going through VPN and which not. I won't recommend the site filter thing since it never worked for me.

Slackersg

Reaction score
For Netflix, Hulu, I use AppleTV 3 with RouterPro VPN mode on RT-N66U. Stream quality is very good.
For those sites that are not provided on ATV (BBC iPlayer, SkyGO, etc.), I use StealthVPN mode on the PC.

Thanks for sharing your setup. I am waiting for my ChromeCast to come and have no plan to get ATV so i have not much a choice but to have the VPN on the router end to ensure Netflix is working. Maybe might consider Roku if ChromeCast + VPN works well for me.

With the applet on router, you can choose which local IP going through VPN and which not. I won't recommend the site filter thing since it never worked for me.

Thanks for the insight! However, if i do not go with AC, i guess you will recommend Asus's N router as well? I assumed Asus have you sold? ^^ I'm currently using Apple Airport Extreme + TP-Link N router. Again, main factor is price plus ease to get the VPN working consistently on a solid built router.

rescapind

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight! However, if i do not go with AC, i guess you will recommend Asus's N router as well? I assumed Asus have you sold? ^^ I'm currently using Apple Airport Extreme + TP-Link N router. Again, main factor is price plus ease to get the VPN working consistently on a solid built router.

I'm using Asus RT-N66U and speed is sufficient for HD (or SuperHD for Netflix) streaming. I also haven't used any AC router since I have no device supporting AC yet.
If you want to use Astrill applet on router, you need to choose a compatible router. I think DD-WRT, Tomato and Asus + Merlin FW are the ones supported by Astrill so far.

Rzakbzak

Reaction score
Would recommend Private Internet Access - relatively cheap (40USD/yr) and about same quality as Witopia (who I was previously using), albeit with less servers.

rescapind

Reaction score
You are right, RT-AC56U then.
As for the not working site filter, you have to enter IPs, not domain names.

The thing is that there are many IPs that one site uses for their streaming. Here, filtering based on IPs is nearly impossible.

Slackersg

Reaction score
Would recommend Private Internet Access - relatively cheap (40USD/yr) and about same quality as Witopia (who I was previously using), albeit with less servers.

I was looking at PIA earlier as well.
Do you Netflix, Hulu? If so, how is your experience with streaming HD or Super HD?

While it is cheaper by a $10, if the service is good and reliable as Astrill which i have been hearing good reviews on it, it might worth the saving. Else, $10 over 12 months, i rather go with the better one.

luckyguitar

Reaction score
Do you Netflix, Hulu? If so, how is your experience with streaming HD or Super HD?

While it is cheaper by a $10, if the service is good and reliable as Astrill which i have been hearing good reviews on it, it might worth the saving. Else, $10 over 12 months, i rather go with the better one.

I tried PIA recently. They have a 7 day money back guarantee. I signed up via paypal and had no problem getting a refund, response was quick and professional.
Speed on US servers was decent, but not the quickest of all the VPNs that i have tested. I used their software out of the box, so i am not sure if proper configurations would have boosted the speed. Technical support was excellent, there is always help available on their online chat system. Overall a decent service and you can always go with their 7 days money back policy and ask for a refund if it is not up to expectation.

Rzakbzak

Reaction score

I haven't had a problem streaming HD with PIA, I use both Netflix and Hulu.

Give then a shot, worst case you cancel within 7 days.

pug

Reaction score
Anyone tried Torguard? Cheaper than Astrill. Wonder how is the performance/speed...

robineo

Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone tried to watch Al Jazeera sports on ipad? My ISP is myrepublic and thru their teleport service I can watch on web but not on ipad. It always complained about having no rights to view. I tried smartdns but it has not been working recently. Would like to know if any bros here manage to get it working on ipad.

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those wanting free but not public vpn (means generic user name and password free for use to all), can try tunnelbear (http://www.tunnelbear.com). 200mb limit per month but they will increase you monthly if you tweet and advertise for them. Comes with android and ios app too.

RiDdLEr

Reaction score
hi,

anyone can recommend vpn service for watching video streaming from US and China?
preferably without bandwidth or speed limit...

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
watching netflix via apple tv on Astrill. the best VPN service

jayz_sg

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone share which VPN provider is able to stream Hulu Plus in Full HD without any lag (or very little lag during the initial loading).

I am currently on Myrepublic 150Mbps plan. The teleport service is great for streaming Netflix on my Mobile Devices, my laptop, my chomecast and my Samsung SmartTV. However for Hulu Plus, teleport is not very good as it lags at times and at certain parts of the day it will buffer every 5 mins.

I am trying to find a fast VPN/DNS service that can stream both netflix and hulu plus with great speeds.

Currently looking at Unotelly and Astrill, however I would prefer a DNS service to VPN as I only need to stream content from US, I am not concerned with any security features.

Thanks.

luckyguitar

Reaction score
I am currently on Myrepublic 150Mbps plan. The teleport service is great for streaming Netflix on my Mobile Devices, my laptop, my chomecast and my Samsung SmartTV. However for Hulu Plus, teleport is not very good as it lags at times and at certain parts of the day it will buffer every 5 mins.

I am trying to find a fast VPN/DNS service that can stream both netflix and hulu plus with great speeds.

Currently looking at Unotelly and Astrill, however I would prefer a DNS service to VPN as I only need to stream content from US, I am not concerned with any security features.

I thought teleport is similar to unotelly and should be great for streaming?

Astrill's speed to usa is fast. Since both unotelly and astrill offer trials, why not give both a go and decide which one is more suitable? Since you only need to access usa streams, you may also consider getting a vps and run a vpn tunnel.

jayz_sg

Reaction score
I thought teleport is similar to unotelly and should be great for streaming?

Astrill's speed to usa is fast. Since both unotelly and astrill offer trials, why not give both a go and decide which one is more suitable? Since you only need to access usa streams, you may also consider getting a vps and run a vpn tunnel.

Hi, I am now trying unotelly but Astrill I dun really want to try as it involves installing an applet on my router. Unotelly is good, for Hulu Plus the content streams in Full HD with no lag, however the ads load very slowly. A 1 min ad can buffer and take up to 5 mins to finish. Weird thing is the ads are all in Full HD also even though I set the settings to Auto.

I know teleport is supposed to be similar to other DNS service, however after trying other DNS service I realized that teleport is really very slow. But for Netflix teleport is fine.

luckyguitar

Reaction score
Hi, I am now trying unotelly but Astrill I dun really want to try as it involves installing an applet on my router. Unotelly is good, for Hulu Plus the content streams in Full HD with no lag, however the ads load very slowly. A 1 min ad can buffer and take up to 5 mins to finish. Weird thing is the ads are all in Full HD also even though I set the settings to Auto.

Besides unotelly, there are a few other companies that offer similar service.

Adfreetime
Unblock-us
Smartydns
Justunblock
Overplay smartdns
Cactusvpn smartdns
Vpnsecure smarter dns

Most of the above offer some kind of trial. There are a few others that i can't remember off the back of my mind, just google for more.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
privateinternetaccess.com

PIA.png

Using it for BT in this pic, but for other downloads the speed is no joke too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.