Microsoft Surface

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If this is true, microsoft must be high on drugs. Same launch price as previous year and worse still the keyboard will still be sold separately. Seems you guys are right about microsoft being greedy again.

Not sure who is gonna spend over 2000 SGD for a 256gb/512gb surface
pro 2 with a 10" screen. And this is excluding the new power up battery accessory they are talking about.
I can tell you right now there will still be people who will buy at those pricings, and defend them as well. :D

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score
If this is true, microsoft must be high on drugs. Same launch price as previous year and worse still the keyboard will still be sold separately. Seems you guys are right about microsoft being greedy again.

Not sure who is gonna spend over 2000 SGD for a 256gb/512gb surface
pro 2 with a 10" screen. And this is excluding the new power up battery accessory they are talking about.

So Apple is fine with that pricing without people like you complaining?

Surface Pro cost ~S$1300 [Currently at S$11xx] for 128GB whereas Note III was priced at $1048. An i5 Processor alone already cost $300, tell me what's the cost of the ARM processor? $30?

Where's the 2000 SGD Surface Pro you mentioned? I'll tell you what, Samsung priced its Ativ i5 tablet at $1899 with only 128GB storage without the keyboard.

I don't see why you are only bashing Microsoft for pricing at that, while you are fine with the other 2. Come on, hidden price every where.

Last edited:

saljiputeh

Banned
Reaction score
I can tell you right now there will still be people who will buy at those pricings, and defend them as well. :D

You're right.. most of them aren't even worth debating :s13:

So Apple is fine with that pricing without people like you complaining?

Surface Pro cost ~S$1300 [Currently at S$11xx] for 128GB whereas Note III was priced at $1048. An i5 Processor alone already cost $300, tell me what's the cost of the ARM processor? $30?

Where's the 2000 SGD Surface Pro you mentioned? I'll tell you what, Samsung priced its Ativ i5 tablet at $1899 with only 128GB storage without the keyboard.

I don't see why you are only bashing Microsoft for pricing at that, while you are fine with the other 2. Come on, hidden price every where.

Btw please include the pricing of the keyboard cover. Don't only compare the samsung ativ.. there are many other competitors who include the keyboard in their pricing.

Surface Pro 2 (according to rumored pricing)

- 64gb ~ 1.3k SGD
- 128gb ~ 1.5k SGD
- 256 gb ~ 1.8k SGD
- 512 gb ~ 2.3k SGD

Microsoft will have no problems selling its units to sheeps, some organizations and niche users but sadly they only form a small fraction of the consumer market. Microsoft already suffered $900 million worth of losses and they have to appeal to the general average consumer in order to prevent another dead on arrival product. The luxury of slapping apple price tags when they don't have the same reputation will not do any good. Putting sheeps and niche users aside, trust me that 99% of consumers will not choose a surface pro2 over a macbook and other higher specs note/ultrabooks. You may argue that those belong to a totally different category but do you think the general consumers care? They will just say xxx laptop is proven brand, has a bigger screen and better specs especially if both products are priced similarly. No one gives a hoot about portability, touchscreen and the digitalizer in this case. They are niche factors that won't sway general consumers into choosing a surface pro2 over a proven macbook.

Yes, I agree with you it's other competitors (samsung ativ / lenovo thinkpad / sony tab) have similarly priced products but have you ever wondered why their companies are not making any major losses in the first place (based on their previous fiscal year)? Their product range is so diversified so a drop in their hybrid tablet sales won't affect them much. But this is microsoft we are talking about.. they are certainly no Apple and Samsung in the market share. Microsoft solely relies on their windows OS and surface inventory as their driving force so any drop in sales for the following will hurt them badly.

Putting the surface pro2 aside, there are no significant improvements being made on the surface 2 RT (if rumors are true) to lure people out from the apple & nexus fanbase. Will Microsoft struggle again in the next fiscal year? We will see..

kayaker

Reaction score
Hmm... Just to clarify understanding for a noob at this. Microsoft made the loss of 900million, but had the cash to splash for Nokia. I am not very good at history and interpretation. Apple was in the doldrums once, but I don't think they used pricing of their products to get them out. Thought it was the design and innovation. Perhaps Microsoft does not have the same sexy image, but as a sheep following public (such as myself), they pretty much planted the seed of inception that I can come to expect a touchscreen for Windows too. And by pushing the design and making consumers aware of what they could get for the same pricing as Apple products Windows may have already won, regardless of whose products are bought, be it Samsung or Lenovo. Windows software licenses will be sold anyway. Noob view anyway

saljiputeh

Banned
Reaction score
Apple was in the doldrums once, but I don't think they used pricing of their products to get them out. Thought it was the design and innovation. Perhaps Microsoft does not have the same sexy image, but as a sheep following public (such as myself), they pretty much planted the seed of inception that I can come to expect a touchscreen for Windows too. And by pushing the design and making consumers aware of what they could get for the same pricing as Apple products Windows may have already won, regardless of whose products are bought, be it Samsung or Lenovo. Windows software licenses will be sold anyway. Noob view anyway

Back then apple didnt have many competitors to begin with. The battle was won once they expanded their market share with a strong fanbase. Now with so many products in the market, imo microsoft still has a lot to do to if they want the surface rt to follow the ipad's footsteps. Currently they are offering rebates for users to trade in their ipads for a surface. It's a good start but they have to definitely offer more than that to dominate the tablet market. With tablet technology currently reaching a standstill, price may be the deciding factor especially for newcomers like microsoft. Even apple has slashed their prices for their macbook air knowing that the ultrabook market is going to be saturated soon.

You are right regarding your last statement, the 900 million lost only comes out of the surface inventory and the massive price cut to make up for their poor tablet sales. In other words the overall windows revenue still increased over year probably due to OS licenses. Microsoft still doesn't give specific Windows 8 sales or revenue numbers, but it probably performed well this quarter to make up for the big Surface RT loss. To answer your question, that is how microsoft still has the bucketload of cash to buy out Nokia.

I'm just arguing from an economic standview. But still the surface products have its own unique characteristics to make it a potential impressive product. They already got the aesthetics right for both their products. Maybe once they are able to lure more app developers into their RT platform, then who knows what they might be able to achieve.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score

Let me put it this way. For ultra-portable + ultra-reliable devices using Magnesium alloy, they're ALL above $2000. Lenovo Helix/Twist/X-series, Fujitsu T-series & Q-series. Sony Vaio Pro uses carbon fibre, to name a few.

These laptops are made for business people, who can afford the premium because they demand the reliability.

7 years ago, my Fujitsu T4215 costs $4000 before GST. It's so reliable, I never really bother to look for a new laptop, I just upgrade RAM/CPU/SSD/Bluetooth + new set of batteries when I feel the need. Of course, I didn't pay $4000+ for it. I got rebates & I sold off my Acer TabletPC for $1000. Ended up paying $2000+ only.

It's not about defending or anything. Quality speaks for itself. Over the last 7 years, I spent a total of less than $3000 which works out to less than $430 per year for a trouble-free laptop which is super-fast especially with the SSD upgrade 2 years ago. My TabletPC can easily last another 5 years when I upgrade to the latest-gen SSDs which are twice as fast bringing total cost to less than $230 per year. Can a Fujitsu last that long? Yes! My "boss" has a Fujitsu Lifebook working for almost 14 years.

The only reason I'm changing to the Surface Pro is for the touchscreen (including the upgraded Wacom digitizer), lower weight & faster speed + the future battery cover to extend battery to 8-9 hours, while still keeping weight to less than 1.3kg like the Lenovo Helix but is probably $800 cheaper due to the smaller screen.

In case, you guys haven't figured out, I'm a business-person. I calculate $$$ & look at ROI for my gadgets. I'm not interested to buy a cheap laptop/tablet that give problems after the warranty period is over. This is how I buy my PCs & it's how I advise my family, relatives, friends & clients to buy PCs. People who follow my buying guide typically have laptops & PC that last more than 5 years with little need for repairs. Some of them even ask me to upgrade those PC to extend their life for another 3-5 years.

And no, you don't have to be rich to buy quality. It just takes a lot of research and experience. :s7:

ajayden

Reaction score
Remove the email account, reboot & create the account again.

Hi ET

I have removed the email account, rebooted and created again but still the same. I have also deleted the mail app and reinstalled.

Anything else I can do?

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let me put it this way. For ultra-portable + ultra-reliable devices using Magnesium alloy, they're ALL above $2000. Lenovo Helix/Twist/X-series, Fujitsu T-series & Q-series. Sony Vaio Pro uses carbon fibre, to name a few.

These laptops are made for business people, who can afford the premium because they demand the reliability.

7 years ago, my Fujitsu T4215 costs $4000 before GST. It's so reliable, I never really bother to look for a new laptop, I just upgrade RAM/CPU/SSD/Bluetooth + new set of batteries when I feel the need. Of course, I didn't pay $4000+ for it. I got rebates & I sold off my Acer TabletPC for $1000. Ended up paying $2000+ only.

It's not about defending or anything. Quality speaks for itself. Over the last 7 years, I spent a total of less than $3000 which works out to less than $430 per year for a trouble-free laptop which is super-fast especially with the SSD upgrade 2 years ago. My TabletPC can easily last another 5 years when I upgrade to the latest-gen SSDs which are twice as fast bringing total cost to less than $230 per year. Can a Fujitsu last that long? Yes! My "boss" has a Fujitsu Lifebook working for almost 14 years.

The only reason I'm changing to the Surface Pro is for the touchscreen (including the upgraded Wacom digitizer), lower weight & faster speed + the future battery cover to extend battery to 8-9 hours, while still keeping weight to less than 1.3kg like the Lenovo Helix but is probably $800 cheaper due to the smaller screen.

In case, you guys haven't figured out, I'm a business-person. I calculate $$$ & look at ROI for my gadgets. I'm not interested to buy a cheap laptop/tablet that give problems after the warranty period is over. This is how I buy my PCs & it's how I advise my family, relatives, friends & clients to buy PCs. People who follow my buying guide typically have laptops & PC that last more than 5 years with little need for repairs. Some of them even ask me to upgrade those PC to extend their life for another 3-5 years.

And no, you don't have to be rich to buy quality. It just takes a lot of research and experience. :s7:
Like I just said....exactly.

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
The announcement is at 1030pm tonight. Too bad there's no live stream. Can only follow via blogs.

for those buyers or would be buyers, how would you feel about the lifespan of the battery? A typical laptop battery dies after prolong use for 2+yrs. Given that there's no way to change the battery on the surface pro,the device probably wouldn't last 3-4yrs.

bedlamite

Reaction score
Surface 2 RT going Tegra 4 is a bit disappointing, the T3 chip was underpowered rubbish.

Most important thing however is the pricing, if MS hasn't learnt anything from the pricing fiasco of the first RT, the 2 is already dead.

I like the build quality of my RT, I even think it's got a very solid tablet OS. MS needs to take a hit on the pricing to encourage mainstream adoption otherwise nobody's going to even bother

lordlad0

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surface 2 RT going Tegra 4 is a bit disappointing, the T3 chip was underpowered rubbish.

Most important thing however is the pricing, if MS hasn't learnt anything from the pricing fiasco of the first RT, the 2 is already dead.

I like the build quality of my RT, I even think it's got a very solid tablet OS. MS needs to take a hit on the pricing to encourage mainstream adoption otherwise nobody's going to even bother
go read the benchmark.....Tegra 4 is currently the king of benchmark and raw power unlike the admittedly underpowered tegra 3...

If you go read the benchmark for the Nvidia Shield (with T4 of course), the benchmark is at the top of every ARM based chip currently out there...

ashiki

Reaction score

I think they will keep the price as current reduced price for surface 2 and stop selling the older generation.

bedlamite

Reaction score
go read the benchmark.....Tegra 4 is currently the king of benchmark and raw power unlike the admittedly underpowered tegra 3...

If you go read the benchmark for the Nvidia Shield (with T4 of course), the benchmark is at the top of every ARM based chip currently out there...
Good to hear!
ashiki said:
I think they will keep the price as current reduced price for surface 2 and stop selling the older generation.
let's see what happens at the announcement tonight

knave

Master Member
Reaction score
Hope that with their sales and logistics channels already in place, they can roll out the Gen 2 devices worldwide faster too.

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually, had been holding back in getting the surface pro. mainly due to the long delay in it getting to sg, the short battery life.

if they can maintain the same pricing, extend the battery life I would get it when it reaches sg. but I also hope they might squeeze in a but more ram.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.