The Hair Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woah.. Cos my hair was bleached 1.5mths ago. Ytd we were saying about perming ma. Then I thought of.. So if my bleached hair gets perming. I think it can go out of way and hair not just fall, it breaks. Lol!

1.5months is actually quite long ago alr. But if you are still worried, you can kiv perming till some other time bro. Its safer this way. Meanwhile, you can research more about perming and what kind of permed style do you want. You still have time! :)

My HK hairstylist once told me that bleaching and perming are like enemies. Don't do them together else its really GG for you.

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1.5months is actually quite long ago alr. But if you are still worried, you can kiv perming till some other time bro. Its safer this way. Meanwhile, you can research more about perming and what kind of permed style do you want. You still have time! :)

My HK hairstylist once told me that bleaching and perming are like enemies. Don't do them together else its really GG for you.

Kiv perming?

Eh you two lead model here leh. We then Chao peasant :s13:

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Abit shy about nigelle le leh lol.

Add on to the enemies list. Dyeing also. None of those 3 **** can be done tgt becos h2o2

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hope all of you had a great night. I've never done a review before and only posted pictures of my hair only thus now doing one because JH actually did asked me to write a review. My reviews are usually quite strict, harsh and non bias to the product so please do not get offended and bear with me. Your patience in taking time off to read this post would be greatly appreciated.

This review would be based on a product I recently purchased from JH which is the "Nigelle Bold Make clay". I would also do a short comparison against Uevo Grey wax. As some of you know, I have a mullet hairstyle which isn't natural to begin with. I was also previously using Uevo Grey wax before deciding to switch over to Nigelle Bold Make clay.

Steps taken:
1. 3 pumps of OS sea salt spray
2. Blow dry to form shape
3. Apply Nigelle Bold Make clay
4. Blow to form shape again
5. Osis+ Freeze 3

1st up for Nigelle Bold Make clay, I would like to comment on the smell as some of you know I'm a sucker for fragrance. Overall, Uevo Grey wax's smells way nicer. Nigelle Bold Make clay kinda has a stingy smell to my nose when its too near and even though my hair ain't as long as the rest here, I'm still able to smell it. Its not really to a disappointing factor but its still bearable. So people who are sucker for fragrance, you might wanna take note on this and see whether you're able to bear with it. I don't know about the rest but I'm still able to as long you're not applying too much.

2nd up for Nigelle Bold Make clay, the strength or some people say, holding power. I'm not sure whether clay is suppose to have a stronger hold but to me, Uevo Grey wax is better in this honestly. Of course, I'm only using this as a statement to people who have mullet hairstyle. When my hairstylist used it on my hair, it was good because more or rather from what I noticed, is that she has already applied the moouse or etc which really clumps my hair together nicely after blow drying. Maybe because I'm still a noob at blow drying that's why I'm unable to achieve that even after using OS sea salt spray or it could have been the holding power of OS sea salt spray ain't to my expectation. Frankly, I never believed in the saying, "you should style it and use hair products to make your hair looks natural". Like what I mentioned, I have a mullet hairstyle so to me, its never natural to begin with. What I can do is just make it as matte as possible, I don't like a shiny outlook on my hair. Nigelle Bold Make clay doesn't really clamp my hair as strongly as Uevo Grey wax. What it actually does to my hair is make it slump up and form a gradual mountain instead of a sharper one. I always liked the sharper mountain effect instead of just a gradual one but my girlfriend said a gradual mountain actually looks nicer instead of the sharp one. She said it looks too unnatural to her. And ohh yeah, the way I test holding strength is usually take abit of product, rub against thumb and index finger, then apply it to abit of crown area hair to see whether it clamps together. My hair is the always standing kind. Sadly, Nigelle Bold Make clay doesn't really do well in this. Like what JH said, its main selling point is reasonable strength control with a natural outlook. Doesn't really go well with my stubborn hair though.

Another issue I'm facing is the playing around time. Uevo Grey wax lets me have sufficient time to play around before it really dries up. Nigelle Bold Make clay imo, dries up quite fast which isn't a bad thing but it might pose a problem to people like me who likes to fiddle around with their hair during styling process.

All in all, its not a bad product. To me, its holding strength reasonable to me but just that it might not be to my liking that much but I'm still okay with the product itself. Ultimately, this review is like a shoutout to all the people here having a mullet hairstyle, stubborn and always standing hair. :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Hope all of you had a great night. I've never done a review before and only posted pictures of my hair only thus now doing one because JH actually did asked me to write a review. My reviews are usually quite strict, harsh and non bias to the product so please do not get offended and bear with me. Your patience in taking time off to read this post would be greatly appreciated.

This review would be based on a product I recently purchased from JH which is the "Nigelle Bold Make clay". I would also do a short comparison against Uevo Grey wax. As some of you know, I have a mullet hairstyle which isn't natural to begin with. I was also previously using Uevo Grey wax before deciding to switch over to Nigelle Bold Make clay.

Steps taken:
5. Osis+ Freeze 3

1st up for Nigelle Bold Make clay, I would like to comment on the smell as some of you know I'm a sucker for fragrance. Overall, Uevo Grey wax's smells way nicer. Nigelle Bold Make clay kinda has a stingy smell to my nose when its too near and even though my hair ain't as long as the rest here, I'm still able to smell it. Its not really to a disappointing factor but its still bearable. So people who are sucker for fragrance, you might wanna take note on this and see whether you're able to bear with it. I don't know about the rest but I'm still able to as long you're not applying too much.

2nd up for Nigelle Bold Make clay, the strength or some people say, holding power. I'm not sure whether clay is suppose to have a stronger hold but to me, Uevo Grey wax is better in this honestly. Of course, I'm only using this as a statement to people who have mullet hairstyle. When my hairstylist used it on my hair, it was good because more or rather from what I noticed, is that she has already applied the moouse or etc which really clumps my hair together nicely after blow drying. Maybe because I'm still a noob at blow drying that's why I'm unable to achieve that even after using OS sea salt spray or it could have been the holding power of OS sea salt spray ain't to my expectation. Frankly, I never believed in the saying, "you should style it and use hair products to make your hair looks natural". Like what I mentioned, I have a mullet hairstyle so to me, its never natural to begin with. What I can do is just make it as matte as possible, I don't like a shiny outlook on my hair. Nigelle Bold Make clay doesn't really clamp my hair as strongly as Uevo Grey wax. What it actually does to my hair is make it slump up and form a gradual mountain instead of a sharper one. I always liked the sharper mountain effect instead of just a gradual one but my girlfriend said a gradual mountain actually looks nicer instead of the sharp one. She said it looks too unnatural to her. And ohh yeah, the way I test holding strength is usually take abit of product, rub against thumb and index finger, then apply it to abit of crown area hair to see whether it clamps together. My hair is the always standing kind. Sadly, Nigelle Bold Make clay doesn't really do well in this. Like what JH said, its main selling point is reasonable strength control with a natural outlook. Doesn't really go well with my stubborn hair though.

Another issue I'm facing is the playing around time. Uevo Grey wax lets me have sufficient time to play around before it really dries up. Nigelle Bold Make clay imo, dries up quite fast which isn't a bad thing but it might pose a problem to people like me who likes to fiddle around with their hair during styling process.

All in all, its not a bad product. To me, its holding strength reasonable to me but just that it might not be to my liking that much but I'm still okay with the product itself. Ultimately, this review is like a shoutout to all the people here having a mullet hairstyle, stubborn and always standing hair. :)
Exactly my thoughts! Quite scary that it really is so identical to what I feel. Only difference is how you measure strength only lol.

Also, good morning people! Rainy day huh

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice & good review there! Appreciated it which can give us the rough idea how this wax is!

Anyway.. I ever bought this Toni & Guy texturising cream wax, when I put some on my hand to rub abit. It dried up instantly. Gosh. Til now still don't know how to use!

If put water, my hair gets wet look.

Why some hair product doesn't allow you to play awhile one? :( haha

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Nice & good review there! Appreciated it which can give us the rough idea how this wax is!

Anyway.. I ever bought this Toni & Guy texturising cream wax, when I put some on my hand to rub abit. It dried up instantly. Gosh. Til now still don't know how to use!

If put water, my hair gets wet look.

Why some hair product doesn't allow you to play awhile one? :( haha

Professional range for modeling use xD probably can't do the palm method. I see instructions like use fingertips only. I think.

whatme

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Professional range for modeling use xD probably can't do the palm method. I see instructions like use fingertips only. I think.

Out of 3 salon so far I visit..I observe the stylist how they style my hair and others.

Usually they use palm and like move around my hair against the opposite way of my hair style. Then afterward it look very tousled. So the stylist slowly use finger pick and like crumb the hair.

There's one salon I visited, which I used to patronise for very long time but stopped long ago too. Their director taught me a good way is after applying, use four finger not thumb and like hook and pull abit the hair higher. It can give quite a evenly distributed layer feeling. Not sure this is common but I find it useful. :X

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Out of 3 salon so far I visit..I observe the stylist how they style my hair and others.

Usually they use palm and like move around my hair against the opposite way of my hair style. Then afterward it look very tousled. So the stylist slowly use finger pick and like crumb the hair.

There's one salon I visited, which I used to patronise for very long time but stopped long ago too. Their director taught me a good way is after applying, use four finger not thumb and like hook and pull abit the hair higher. It can give quite a evenly distributed layer feeling. Not sure this is common but I find it useful. :X

I myself am using the 4-fingers method to style too. Its used primarily to loosen up the hair so as not to make it so clumped up as a lump. After doing so, the divided bunches of hair can be used to adjust to various heights which ultimately gives a difference in visual effects that leads to layered texture of the hair. I wouldnt say its a long-lost skill but most styling videos do cover them as well. :)

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Steps taken:
5. Osis+ Freeze 3

No worries about offending people through reviews. As the name says, reviews are supposed to reflect your true and honest opinions about something. There is no one product that is able to please everyone. Some people might like while others might not. That explains why there are 1001 brands and 100001 products out there.

Thumbs up for such a nicely written and comprehensive review. Just a few points to add on to see if things can become even better for you.

#1: While tousling the hair after applying seasalt spray, rake it right from the roots to the hair ends. Try to pinch the hair ends together while tousling it too. By right, the OS sea spray should work even better than mousse as the holding power and bunching of hair is there for you too.
#2: Reduce the amount of nigelle clay being used. Very often, the biggest mistake of styling is to use too much. But despite that, some will just use very little by very little which is not ideal either. Then, you can't really sense the difference due to such insignificance to determine when to stop.
#3: I agree with your gf on the gradual slope thingy if i did interpret it correctly. I think that look suits you more, yandao. Try loosing the hair with the 4-fingers method mentioned by whatme bro. I also think it should help you too. :)

With regard to the third point of playing around time, IMO, Nigelle bold make clay definitely don't dry faster than uevo grey or any other clays. Because by nature, these products are already dry so it tends to appear that it dont dry up as fast as nigelle. On the other hand, nigelle is wet and soft clay so when you sense the difference in wetness, it appears to dry up very fast which it naturally has to be that else it don't go onto your hair well.

Anyway, just my 2cents of opinions. This review is going up my site too. And your effort is sincerely appreciated, bro! :)

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol gx. Your reviews revolutionary one leh.

Eh what y'all mean by 4 fingers? I normally use pinky to do the hooking only. How you manage to fit all 4 fingers in?

Btw jh, uevo dry I think it's a misnomer. Not even close to being dry lo lol. I think it's more like when it dries up it gives a dry look. It's probably even wetter than nigelle actually. But nigelle got alot more alcohol inside.

Last edited:

leejhong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol gx. Your reviews revolutionary one leh.

Eh what y'all mean by 4 fingers? I normally use pinky to do the hooking only. How you manage to fit all 4 fingers in?

Btw jh, uevo dry I think it's a misnomer. Not even close to being dry lo lol. I think it's more like when it dries up it gives a dry look. It's probably even wetter than nigelle actually. But nigelle got alot more alcohol inside.

IMO, i think pinky alone is not enough to loosen it or make it layered coz its just a pinky. I try to make it as clear as possible through words. :)

1. Using your right hand, point your 4 fingers towards you with your palm facing to the right
2. Don't close up your fingers and allow it be slightly open as natural as possible
3. Then use this position to achieve a more layered texture; Either vertical direction (up to down to up), curling up ur fingers in a horizontal direction (left to right to left) or penetrating manner (in to out to in).
4. U can also use this position to loosen and tousle the hair a bit if they are tightly clumped up together.

Last edited:

deadbeat

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any of you guys here tried conditioner-washing aka no-shampoo-washing?

never come in last few days cos was crazy busy and the thread moves so fast!

anyway, my hair stylist strongly recommends AGAINST this. used to do this for a year and my scalp suffered. basically i only shampoo once a week. bad idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.