Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
i bought Draco tuner, everything test ok so far. Signal is high. One thing I would like to check is - for the recording function, is there any way to adjust the quality of recording? I couldnt find this option.

recording is in TS (transport stream) format, i.e. 100% full quality. (what u recv from the air is saved into the TS file)
u can then use any video converter to convert to mp4, select audio, select subtitle or lower the quality.

oz_yuber

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
According to MediaCorp, DVB-T2 for Hougang will only start to transmit in 2015/2016.

rollout_map.jpg

But not sure if you can actually receive the old DVB-T -- which DVB-T2 tuner are backward compatible with -- and is supposed to be still transmitting in theory.

I see....

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
As according to AnDyLe0, outdoor DVB-T2 reception is islandwide available already. Just have to connect your indoor antenna to your nearest window near your TV. :)
"outdoor DVB-T2 reception is islandwide available" from MediaCorp as seen from their roll-out map.

ykgoh

Master Member
Reaction score
"outdoor DVB-T2 reception is islandwide available" from MediaCorp as seen from their roll-out map.

Hmm, good that you point it out. I didn't notice earlier the map talks about outdoor coverage.

How does MediaCorp control whether their digital TV signals stay outdoor or can travel indoor into residential homes? :s11: Pretty interesting.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

clintonccy

Reaction score
Hmm, good that you point it out. I didn't notice earlier the map talks about outdoor coverage.

How does MediaCorp control whether their digital TV signals stay outdoor or can travel indoor into residential homes? :s11: Pretty interesting.

Its not a matter of control. Its a matter of the transmission tower's transmit power may not be enough to be able to successfully broadcast the signal indoors due to the walls.

An analogy would be like a emcee in a public area talking to a large audience. While everyone outside can hear him clearly outdoors, someone indoors behind a wall may be insulated well enough to not be able to hear him clearly or in some cases where the wall is thick enough, not even hear him at all.

Windowlover

Reaction score
After using a nomal in door antenna for few days, I found that actually it is 1080i picture quality... becos there is a slide information shared and move up which I cannot control and can catch this information.. :s11:

PoloBoiBoi

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After using a nomal in door antenna for few days, I found that actually it is 1080i picture quality... becos there is a slide information shared and move up which I cannot control and can catch this information.. :s11:

all broadcast since analog days are also interlaced

bandwidth is precious , interlaced can save at least 1/2 of the bandwidth needed

Soul77

Reaction score

Yea. Mediacorp broadcast in 1080i. But it should be de-interlaced by the set top box (At least mine did).

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find out on the Draco HDT2-7300, whether 5.1 audio will be available for some contents broadcast with Dolby 5.1, if I connect it to my AVR via HDMI. No clue so far.

Could anyone using this setup let me know? Thank you.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I have been trying to find out on the Draco HDT2-7300, whether 5.1 audio will be available for some contents broadcast with Dolby 5.1, if I connect it to my AVR via HDMI. No clue so far.

Could anyone using this setup let me know? Thank you.

we have just discussed about this somewhere b4 cny in this thread.
just search few pages back.
u can set Digital Audio Out to <BS Output>.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

it's common standard that most tv stations use 1080i for hd broadcast.
1080p is very rare.
anyway, draco stb can set hdmi output to 1080p/50.

hellhole

Reaction score
hey guys.. been trying to follow this hugh thread but its really deep threaded..
i read a few including the last page here..

so i live in CCK and i bought a DAIYO(U) EU1702 the other day. As one of my room do not have any wall outlet and the TV ( TV-A) has been using wire antenna since day 1. I have another TV ( TV-B) that is plug to Starhub digital box.

I want to move TV-B into the no wall outlet room and use the DAIYO to get the digital channel. i tried it, i can see the signal, but its quite blurry.. i even try it with the wire antenna and also the same result.

Am i doing something wrong here? or i am wasting my time with the DAIYU? as CCK area is only going to go digital in 2014 Q3-Q4?

the new TV is a older Samsung TV ( no smart tv) that has FULL-HD.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
hey guys.. been trying to follow this hugh thread but its really deep threaded..
i read a few including the last page here..

so i live in CCK and i bought a DAIYO(U) EU1702 the other day. As one of my room do not have any wall outlet and the TV ( TV-A) has been using wire antenna since day 1. I have another TV ( TV-B) that is plug to Starhub digital box.

I want to move TV-B into the no wall outlet room and use the DAIYO to get the digital channel. i tried it, i can see the signal, but its quite blurry.. i even try it with the wire antenna and also the same result.

Am i doing something wrong here? or i am wasting my time with the DAIYU? as CCK area is only going to go digital in 2014 Q3-Q4?

the new TV is a older Samsung TV ( no smart tv) that has FULL-HD.

May i suppose that your TV-B is your older Samsung TV that you mentioned. Since your Samsung TV isn't equipped with DVB-T2 i suppose, the daiyo antenna you have connected to it is receiving analog signals. Correct me if im wrong. :)

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score

hellhole

Reaction score
May i suppose that your TV-B is your older Samsung TV that you mentioned. Since your Samsung TV isn't equipped with DVB-T2 i suppose, the daiyo antenna you have connected to it is receiving analog signals. Correct me if im wrong. :)

yes.. its not equipped with dvb-t2..

then its crap buckets!

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
... the daiyo antenna you have connected to it is receiving analog signals. Correct me if im wrong. :)
TV antenna has no brain one, it doesn't know the difference between analogue and digital signals. It will receive them all the same. It's just a matter of quality of the signal that may affect the reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.