Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback!
i was wondering, because both the draco and the one you recommend can record tv programmes...now at a dilemma
draco can do timer record, instant record (of what you are watching), time shift (meaning in case you have to go away for a short time to attend to other more urgent business, then come back to continue watching from where you have left off ealier).

Last edited:

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
For those who have upgraded the latest firmware for draco stb, any major changes to it?

b00mxer

Reaction score
Anyway just my opinion, don't bother about DVB-C, starhub always slow in carrying new FTA channels from mediacorp. Past history when HD5 launched only like half a year later then carried on starhub. Just go with DVB-T2 as your default FTA viewing. It's the latest generation of digital terrestrial format and able to support future 3D channels as well. At least we know T2 is here to stay. As for dvb-c, nobody knows what starhub might fool around with their signals. Invest in T2. ;)

huitay

Reaction score
Hi...need some help. I just bought the Draco STB box and was wondering if my connection is correct as I couldnt detect any signal via my Samsung 40" DVBT TV.

For the STB box do I need to connect both the RF in and out? I connect the Darco provided attena into the RF in but my RF out I couldn't connect as the head is different. Is there any missing cable from the box or I need to find a connector in order to plugin the RF out to my TV.

needsomecash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi...need some help. I just bought the Draco STB box and was wondering if my connection is correct as I couldnt detect any signal via my Samsung 40" DVBT TV.

For the STB box do I need to connect both the RF in and out? I connect the Darco provided attena into the RF in but my RF out I couldn't connect as the head is different. Is there any missing cable from the box or I need to find a connector in order to plugin the RF out to my TV.

I think connect the antenna to the In port, then HDMI to the TV. If still no channel showing up then maybe the antenna too weak to pick up signal?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, huitay

In case what needsomecase has explained is not clear to you, refer to the user manual which has a diagram to show how the cables are to be connected.

If you have lost the manual, go to the draco website to download one.

To know how good is the signal you are getting, use manual tune instead of auto. Select chan 27, 29, 31, 33 and 38 one by one. In manual tuning mode, you can monitor, for each channel, the signal strength and signal quality. Move the antenna around to get the best overall position.

Edit: How to do Manual scan (Channel scan as use by draco) is also explained in the manual.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Starhub Delay
Starhub has yet to roll out the new Mediacorp HD services. The main reason is in the technicality: Starhub current deployed HD set-top box cannot play Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) & HE-AAC.

There are 2 possible options:
  • Transcode DD+ to DD
  • Upgrade the STB
Whatever they choose, there will be the technical & commercial costs involve; who should provide the transcoded DD at what cost, who pay for the STB upgrade and roll out?

This is not something that we can decide. Thus, the third option: consumers continue to wait.

If Starhub is committed to broadcast Mediacorp HD programs unencrypted, this can encourage manufacturers to adapt their DVB-C TV requirement to suit Starhub cable network & Mediacorp's broadcast. With the introduction of more DVB-C TVs for sales as another option for consumers, it can boost the take-up rate for DVB-C TV.

With a potential wide-spread availability and use of DVB-C capable TV in the households, Starhub can benefit by going full digital in the future:

• The analog preview channels for non-subscribers can be switchover to digital, freeing some precious bandwidth
  • Digital preview channels which are now only available to subscribers can also be marketed to non-subscribers as well

is this insider news?
where did u get the info from?
btw... we have seen ch154 testing b4 and ch 8 HD audio/video/subtitles are working fine during the testing.

chuppachop

Reaction score
The Dolby Digital logo used on Starhub boxes are only DD. The laggy box cannot support DD+.

I have also seen the subtitles appearing at the top of the screen. Their boxes CMI. It will be a long time for them to roll it out.

SilverLine

Reaction score
I cannot insert link due to insufficient post count. Please copy and paste the following link to your browser (for some browsers, you need to add prefix w w w. to the below url):

ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/PCDG/Licensees/StandardsQoS/TechRefSpec/StarHub.pdf

is this insider news?
where did u get the info from?
btw... we have seen ch154 testing b4 and ch 8 HD audio/video/subtitles are working fine during the testing.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I cannot insert link due to insufficient post count. Please copy and paste the following link to your browser (for some browsers, you need to add prefix w w w. to the below url):

ida.gov.sg/~/media/Files/PCDG/Licensees/StandardsQoS/TechRefSpec/StarHub.pdf

ic. but i saw before that ch154 testing already using dolby digital, so it seems like the transcoding is already working.
anyway, not sure if they are opening new channel numbers or just use the current ch102-108 for SD/HD.
if they re-use ch102-108, i rather they delay the release... because Hubstation HD timeshift function for HD channel is 0.5hr only which is definitely too short.
they should update firmware to allow timeshift of 2hr before release ch8 HD... else a lot of hubstation users need to change viewing habits.
eg. at 10pm u want to rewind back to watch 9pm drama, cannot!
at 10.45pm u want to rewind back to watch 10pm ch8 news, cannot!
very disappointing. :(

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
The Dolby Digital logo used on Starhub boxes are only DD. The laggy box cannot support DD+.

this is a bit confusing... something similar to draco stb problem.
actually the stb just need to output raw DD or DD+ audio to tv, no need any decoding, and tv or home theatre system will be able to play them.

this is similar to draco stb that claimed to support stereo only.
but if u goto settings and change audio output to <BS Out>, it will send the DD+ audio to tv, and my tv is able to display "Dolby Digital" on-screen.
when i set my draco to <BS Out> audio, my sony dvb-t hdtv is able to decode ALL audio codecs without problem.
so starhub can also use the same method, no decoders are needed, just let the tv/hts play the audio.

EDIT: maybe wat they mean is for RCA composite/component connection where DD+ needs to be downmixed to stereo audio... in this case, decoder is needed. as for hdmi, i think tv/hts already can handle them.

Last edited:

SilverLine

Reaction score
One other option that is not mentioned earlier is for Mediacorp to provide the DD audio in the digital streams that are fed into Starhub’s network. Mediacorp will have to continue to do that for an indefinite period, or until such time when all of Starhub’s HD digital boxes are upgraded.

ic. but i saw before that ch154 testing already using dolby digital, so it seems like the transcoding is already working.

Last edited:

SilverLine

Reaction score
Officially, the Draco STB is a stereo DVB-T2 receiver, and does not fully support surround sound when connected to a Home Theatre System. I will go into the details once I find the time.

As this is a little complex and may take a while, Like my post and I may post faster ;)

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
Officially, the Draco STB is a stereo DVB-T2 receiver, and does not fully support surround sound when connected to a Home Theatre System. I will go into the details once I find the time.

As this is a little complex and may take a while, Like my post and I may post faster ;)

wat u mean is that it cannot decode the surround, but can output the DD+ to tv or other output devices. :s11:
anyway draco is just a stb which is a "middleman", not the final output device. so actually the most important part is the output device, i.e. tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.