Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

b00mxer

Reaction score
It is public knowledge that "Singapore will complete the switchover from analogue to digital broadcasting by 2020, in line with ASEAN’s agreed timeframe for making the switch." - See more at: http://www.mda.gov.sg/AboutMDA/News...eechDetail.aspx?speech=5#sthash.L8pzPTcD.dpuf

There is cost for broadcasters to carry tv signals, for both over-the-air and cable network. Starhub is required to carry FTA signals as part of the MDA licensing requirements. If FTA analogue signal is no longer available, it is illogical to stick to the licensing requirement which is no longer applicable. Where are the FTA signals coming from?

Can you give more details regarding the other countries you mentioned?

Who knows right? Analog cable may still run. Technically, I believe it's possible to route all OTA signals directly to analog cable (underground). Since they wanna free up wave spectrum, they should be referring to OTA signals isn't it? If it's analog cable, signals run thru underground so by right technically it will not be affected by outside OTA signals.

Anyway it's still early to say. MDA may or may not change their minds. Say by 2020, if majority still have not switchover or some who have trouble accessing digital for whatever reasons and only has access to CATV point they may prolong or decide to run CATV analog longer or at a indefinite period just like some countries doing the same thing.

Now... Let's talk about the new HDB flats still being installed with cable points. Once analog fully switches off, the cable point become obsolete forever? Why waste so much resource installing those points even at new housing estates? Surely not specially for residents who wants to subscribe to starhub tv? (Really?) Or maybe MDA will, after all carry T2 signals over cable. But unlikely. Because they're designed for terrestrial over the air only. Unless they come up with a DVB-C set top box which receives unencrypted FTA channels just like some of us who can already receive digital channels via our scv cable points (DVB-C) on DVB-C televisions.

So hmm it's still early days. We can only speculate the possibilities.

Last edited:

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
since FTA analogue signal is replaced by FTA digital signal, shouldn't the licensing requirements be updated to carry FTA digital signal? ;)
Sure, that's only logical. b00mxer was talking about continuing FTA analogue tv signals.

Can anybody confirm if Analogue broadcast for both CABLE and TERRESTRIAL will cease or only analog terrestrial? Reason why I'm asking cuz other countries only cease their over the air analog signal but analog signal over cable (which most of us are currently connected to for those not subscribed to Starhub) is still active. Hmm.. We shouldn't panick after all if starhub decides to continue analog FTA cable broadcast?

mrsun18

Master Member
Reaction score
Who knows right? Analog cable may still run. Technically, I believe it's possible to route all OTA signals directly to analog cable (underground). Since they wanna free up wave spectrum, they should be referring to OTA signals isn't it? If it's analog cable, signals run thru underground so by right technically it will not be affected by outside OTA signals.

Anyway it's still early to say. MDA may or may not change their minds. Say by 2020, if majority still have not switchover or some who have trouble accessing digital for whatever reasons and only has access to CATV point they may prolong or decide to run CATV analog longer or at a indefinite period just like some countries doing the same thing.

So hmm it's still early days. We can only speculate the possibilities.
Analog cable - are you referring to the physical cable, or is it the cable that carries analogue signal only. More clarity is needed as cable carries both analogue and digital signals.

I believe it's possible to route all OTA signals directly to analog cable (underground) - yes, it is being done. In Singapore, OTA includes encrypted broadcasts by Starhub for businesses.

You still have not clarified on "like some countries doing the same thing"?

b00mxer

Reaction score
Analog cable - are you referring to the physical cable, or is it the cable that carries analogue signal only. More clarity is needed as cable carries both analogue and digital signals.

I believe it's possible to route all OTA signals directly to analog cable (underground) - yes, it is being done. In Singapore, OTA includes encrypted broadcasts by Starhub for businesses.

You still have not clarified on "like some countries doing the same thing"?

Cable as in the signal that runs thru the SCV (aka Starhub/CATV/DVB-C) point. Not the wire. Try Wikipedia or google on digital switchover for some info on other countries digital switchover process.

We already have STARHUB PREVIEW and SUPERSPORTS ARENA channels carried only via analog CABLE and DVB-C. There wasn't a terrestrial over the air signal for these channels to begin with so they run on both different signals. So it is possible to just carry analogue signals thru starhub cable analogue signals. OTA can just cease without much effect. If MediaCorp decides and have an agreement with Starhub to route all their analogue signals over cable that would be a good thing and could be a possibility and ease many many people's mind about watching FTA channels to stop worrying about changing equipments and stuff. Am I right to say analogue cable is fully managed by Starhub? If yes, then starhub can choose to discuss with MediaCorp about delivering analogue cable signals indefinitely without ceasing them. Even now, when asked, starhub still recommends residents to use their cable point for FTA signals. And not using a DVB-T2 and an indoor antenna or anything about digital switchover. Correct me if I'm wrong. But it's still early to say anything. We shall see what happens. ;)

Last edited:

b00mxer

Reaction score
Technically speaking, say if MediaCorp does not carry their analogue signals thru cable with starhub after all, then there will be still 4 channels carried by starhub thru their analogue cable namely:

- Preview Channel
- Supersports Arena
- TV1 (analogue signals managed by Malaysian government)
- Starhub Test Pattern

Unless starhub cease their analogue signals as well then we have really no choice but switch to DVB-T2.

AnDyLe0

Reaction score

Now... Let's talk about the new HDB flats still being installed with cable points. Once analog fully switches off, the cable point become obsolete forever? Why waste so much resource installing those points even at new housing estates? Surely not specially for residents who wants to subscribe to starhub tv? (Really?)

by 2020, all mediacorp are digital HD. analogue is SD only.
and saying that cable point is obsolete now is totally wrong. many ppl still need cable tv and cable broadband. if u say 2020 (if starhub fully converted to IPTV) the cable point is obsolete then maybe still valid.

btw... are all new flats/condos now come with built-in fibre point in all rooms?

b00mxer

Reaction score
by 2020, all mediacorp are digital HD. analogue is SD only.
and saying that cable point is obsolete now is totally wrong. many ppl still need cable tv and cable broadband. if u say 2020 (if starhub fully converted to IPTV) the cable point is obsolete then maybe still valid.

btw... are all new flats/condos now come with built-in fibre point in all rooms?

I quite don't get what you mean here or you don't get what I mean. Digital carries both HD and SD. Digital does not mean HD. Analogue itself carries SD but in a lower quality than digital and due to cease by 2020 but we're unsure if it's full analogue (both terrestrial and cable) or only terrestrial (over the air).

Cable point shall and may never be obsolete for PAY tv subscribers and/or broadband users.

Issue here is for those who do not subscribe to pay tv services. What about residents who do not subscribe to these services? Currently they're connected to our cable points for free to air channels. So say if by 2020, if analogue cable no longer being carried along starhub network, then it's gonna be useless for residents who are not a starhub tv subscriber. That's why I mention, are cable points still being built at newer flats mainly for residents who wants to/or will subscribe to pay tv/broadband services?

And for starhub to go fully on IPTV is probably far possible. Because their sole network is on cable. It will most probably run alongside cable and IPTV to compete with Mio TV.

As far as I know, new flats only have one fibre terminal
Point.

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
I quite don't get what you mean here or you don't get what I mean. Digital carries both HD and SD. Digital does not mean HD. Analogue itself carries SD but in a lower quality than digital and due to cease by 2020 but we're unsure if it's full analogue (both terrestrial and cable) or only terrestrial (over the air).

digital carries both HD and SD is only for DVB-T, or during the transition period.
looking at DVB-T2 ch5(HD), ch8(HD), suria(HD), vas(HD), there are no SD version anymore. that means mediacorp is going to maintain HD-only streams in future.
according to news report, both analogue and DVB-T will cease in future, only left DVB-T2. the future of tv will be 1080 HD, 4K HD, 3D HD and more... so analogue 4:3 (squashed/stretched/blackbar) won't be there forever. if mediacorp won't be providing 4:3 signal anymore... starhub will need to downscale the image themselves. so do u think got hope to have 4:3 signal forever?

b00mxer

Reaction score
digital carries both HD and SD is only for DVB-T, or during the transition period.
looking at DVB-T2 ch5(HD), ch8(HD), suria(HD), vas(HD), there are no SD version anymore. that means mediacorp is going to maintain HD-only streams in future.
according to news report, both analogue and DVB-T will cease in future, only left DVB-T2. the future of tv will be 1080 HD, 4K HD, 3D HD and more... so analogue 4:3 (squashed/stretched/blackbar) won't be there forever. if mediacorp won't be providing 4:3 signal anymore... starhub will need to downscale the image themselves. so do u think got hope to have 4:3 signal forever?

Dots... I guess you still don't get what I'm talking here haha. Like we're on a different frequency. It's okay. xD
What you're talking about is the contents delivered. I'm talking about the signal itself.

Anyway I try to explain better and answer accordingly here.

I'm talking about the signal. Not the analog picture technical stuff so 4:3 or whatever wasn't related to my posts. Moving on..

DVB-T/T2 - technically generally speaking they both carry HD/SD/3D and so on.. Mediacorp can decide to carry both SD or HD they don't want to only for Channel 5/8/Suria and Vas on DVB-T2. There is still Channel U/okto and CNA in SD. So what's with your conclusion SD is only available in DVB-T? Hmm. If you're talking about the contents being delivered then yes, mediacorp will prolly remove SD channels in the near future. But that's another story for another day.

I agree there's nothing forever in this digital world. Even DVB-T2 will someday be succeeded by future technologies.

There is no news stated that DVB-T/ analog (cable) will cease on XXX date at least for now. Same for HD only streams. There is no certainty that they will ONLY maintain HD streams on their side either. However they may only carry HD on the DVB-T2 platform or maybe relaunch SD channels for all the 7 channels? Who knows? But it is a possible thing. But again, unlikely.

News report say analogue will switch off. But never say analog (cable) will.

As for ANALOG (CABLE) - which is now also following the original stream in widescreen already (not your blackbar letterbox etc you were talking about) I don't see why it's not maintainable in the future when it's already being done so. Just picture quality. But I'm sure majority (those not in the technical side) and only watch TV without the need of having superb picture will not mind. We've been already watching TV this way for decades. (Again I'm talking about non pay tv subscribers). Through analog cable, picture quality is already degraded naturally. Starhub don't manually "degrade" them.

Analogue can carry 16:9 (widescreen) too. But not in HD quality.

Conclusion is, the technology is there. But the future is uncertain. You and me know what's there but not know what will be implemented.

Just like we already have 4K TV and so on.. But will there be sufficient contents for the general audience? Too early and maybe not coming any sooner yet.

DVB-T2 is the future. But not the forever too.
Anyway I must stress that for the best contents in its best quality, only the rich can access for now. Subscribe subscribe subscribe to pay tv or purchase new equipments for T2 transition. Even with government fundings, residents still using non HD sets will not enjoy HD contents. They will need to purchase a HD ready TV then. Why the hassle when majority are already enjoying TV smoothly? Why force us to move to something we don't really need? We should be given choices to remain analogue or better quality (for those who choose to pay more) It's understandable they wanna free wave spectrum by ceasing over the air signals. But signals thru cable is still uncertain.

You are right on the contents part. But technical side, you are mixed up with my previous posts.

Analog is like DVB.
For analog there's:
Analog (Terrestrial)
Analog (Cable)
etc.
For digital:
Digital (Terrestrial) aka DVB-T/T2
Digital (Cable) aka DVB-C/C2 (future)
etc.

So... what do you think?

Last edited:

AnDyLe0

Reaction score
As for ANALOG (CABLE) - which is now also following the original stream in widescreen already (not your blackbar letterbox etc you were talking about) I don't see why it's not maintainable in the future when it's already being done so.

Analogue can carry 16:9 (widescreen) too. But not in HD quality.

analogue is still PAL resolution. the technology mediacorp is using now to let u see 16:9 is to "squash" the image into 576i (4:3) and let your widescreen TV "stretch" it back to 16:9.
and this "squash" is done at mediacorp side.
meaning the transmitter/maintainer now is mediacorp. starhub just provides the cable. after analogue shut down, the transmitter/maintainer is gone...

We should be given choices to remain analogue or better quality (for those who choose to pay more) It's understandable they wanna free wave spectrum by ceasing over the air signals.

i think u have misunderstood the migration to DVB-T2.
it's not mainly to free wave spectrum.
it's because the whole world is switching to digital broadcast.
it's similar to last time black/white tv transmission switched to color tv transmission.
similar to analogue VCR video tapes change to digital VCD/DVD.
now tv broadcast all over the world finally also have to migrate to digital.
because of this digital migration, analogue wave spectrum can be freed up.

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
Hi all, may I ask if my house at a non indoor DVB-T2 ready neighborhood estate, faces a DVB-T2 indoor reception ready neighborhood estate with only some building blocking and a reservoir distance away, am I able to receive a relatively good indoor T2 reception at my house?

Thanks in advance! :)

Kiwi8

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all, may I ask if my house at a non indoor DVB-T2 ready neighborhood estate, faces a DVB-T2 indoor reception ready neighborhood estate with only some building blocking and a reservoir distance away, am I able to receive a relatively good indoor T2 reception at my house?

The only sure way is to try, as officially MediaCorp already said the outdoor signals are already available islandwide, so for indoors it really depends on the facing of your antenna and your building level/facing.

tan1688

Reaction score

where do you stay bro ? i got field data from many bros bought my receiver.

Bros from johor bahru that bought my receiver also can receive all 15 dvbt2 mediacorpse channels :D enjoying 1080hd transmission song dah :s13:

Last edited:

mingfreakrsx

Reaction score
The only sure way is to try, as officially MediaCorp already said the outdoor signals are already available islandwide, so for indoors it really depends on the facing of your antenna and your building level/facing.
I see, thanks for the info! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.