Best Place to change Burmese Kyat

JustOneOfUs

Reaction score
Advice needed: Best Place to change Burmese Kyat?

May I know where is the best place to buy Burmese currency? Asked a few money changers at Bedok and most do not even have stock.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

B772ER

Reaction score
May I know where is the best place to buy Burmese currency? Asked a few money changers at Bedok and most do not even have stock.

Many thanks in advance.

Not sure about the process now, but when I was in Myanmar in 2012, what I needed to do was change S$ for US$, and then change it for Burmese kyat at the black market in Yangon. The US$ has to be in crisp, new bills without any markings or creases etc otherwise they would not accept it.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
The Kyat is a restricted currency, so I doubt you will be able to find a good source here.

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Just bring USD and change at the airport, can also sell at Airport before you fly out. BTW like mentioned above, it should be crisp and if possible no mark. But they are getting less strict since some will accept even if got mark.

Also, you can bring SGD to exchange for Kyat, rate is also not bad so that no need to exchange lots of USD.

But you will still need to bring USD to pay Hotels, Air Tickets, Tours, etc...

mngedo

Reaction score
hi all, may i ask if USD is widely accepted or should i still change some Kyat at the airport as the preferred method for payment?

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
Bagan is charging USD20 / person. Only USD/EU

Some entrance is USD only. Do your homework, check what is the entrance fee, had a feel how much to bring

Change SGP $ to kyat @ Burma airport. just change back to SGP $ @ airport when return.
But if they has not has enough SGP or small note SGP.. u can ask them to change back SGP + USD
That's what I did last Dec 2015.

If use USD to exchange, bring 100 note.
small note like 1 , 5 , 10.. the exchange rate is lower.

Same as SGP $, use $50 or $100.
SGP$10 exchange rate is lower then SGP $50 / $100

mngedo

Reaction score
Thank you! this is very helpful.

Some entrance is USD only. Do your homework, check what is the entrance fee, had a feel how much to bring

Change SGP $ to kyat @ Burma airport. just change back to SGP $ @ airport when return.
But if they has not has enough SGP or small note SGP.. u can ask them to change back SGP + USD

MISSISTATE

Reaction score
My last trip in 2014 to Yangon we changed Kyat in downtown money changer. Rates are better than the official money changer at the airport. USD is widely accepted.
Stayed at the Clover Hotel near Sule Pagoda and behind the busy and popular Bogyoke market and the money changer is in the same building as the hotel. They are not part of the hotel but a separate business. They change Singapore dollar and USD and accepts only $100 bills. Do note they are very particular that notes must be clean, crisp and perfect unmarked condition. Cannot be torn or marked or gets rejected.
As many had mentioned use all the currency and change back to SGD before you return as they are worthless outside of the country.
And yes please be aware not to go during the water festival period(same time as Thai Songkran) as nothing is open.
Enjoy!

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Seems similar to Cambodia the last time I went there.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.