The Hair Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutthroat

Reaction score
Hello boys. Haven't been here in a while..
GX, might need to get SF soon will text you when the time comes.
Other than that, i need some recommendations for a hairstylist.

Budget: $50

Need someone who can speak proper english, a lot of ah tiongs and Malaysians in salon these days, become chicken and duck war -_-". Also someone who can follow hair length specifications, E.g if i ask them to cut the top to 5 inches they know what to do and not give me a puzzled look like im speaking tongue. If its someone good with quiffs even better! I need to get a haircut like tmr ==

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Salon Vim la. 50bucks ++.. u go mention some blogger got offer for first time I think.

dj_flame

Reaction score
As mentioned before, I got my hand on a few samples but couldn't do a review since my hair wasn't long enough.

Since then, have grown it out, gotten a haircut and have been putting my samples to use. Which is great because i have a better grasp now of what products work with my hair.

Anyways, here a quick review of
- Baxter's Clay Pomade
- 90s degrees x-strong wax

Been using both for the past week, and even though initially i assumed them to be quite different, they are actually very similar products.

Baxter is labelled as a "pomade" while 90 degs is labelled as an "organic wax". But its actually just marketing. The products are just good ole fashioned hair clays, plain and simple. So I would expect quite a strong hold and a matte, textured finish for both

They both start off as a bit hard to scoop out. You know how sebastian crude/XTAH clay scoops out and the way it feels in your hand? Both products are similar to that in the sense that they start off as hard clays, but they are slightly softer than Sebastian's . This actually deviates from my preferred clays, like Hairbond Distorter and Vantachi Clay, where the product comes out really easy and it is easy to emulsify into the hands. Thus, I wasn't really having high hopes, since sticky clays usually tend to clump into the hair.

Having said that, both products start to show their magic once you have emulsified and spread the products evenly throughout your palms. Application into the hair is quite easy, not vantachi level easy, but you can really feel the texture being slowly worked into the hair.

I like to wear my hair swept back and to the right (aka the side quiff) and both products did not disappoint in styling that.

You know how your hair looks after not showering for a day? Like it has that healthy shine, looks a bit dirty but damn sex at the same time that makes girls want to run their fingers thru your hair?

e.g.
a066792315fa106b077204cd54d33df1.jpg

yeah, both products, combined with blow drying and sea salt spray, allowed me to get my quiff looking like that easy. Styling took 15 mins max.

The only gripe I had was that volume didn't last that long. Few hours into that day and my quiff started looking flatter. I had to periodically run my fingers through my hair to re-create the volume.

However, that's fine. I find too strong of a hold to give "helmet hair" and I like a bit of pliabilty to show off my hair character and texture (thats why Gold digger is still the gold standard for me ;)...ok maybe GD can be less heavy, but nothing is perfect)

In conclusion, both products received 2 thumbs up from me. Between the two, I give the edge to 90 degs because its a bit easier to apply and has a slightly stronger hold. However, Baxter's Clay Pomade has a way better scent (it has dat herbal masculine minty smell). On the other hand, 90 degrees smells like cooking oil, and it is a bit off putting initially, but the smell died down over the day.

Keep in mind though that 90 degs is only $18.90 for a decent sized jar. Baxter is $32 for the same amount.

I also got a bit of Sliverfox last night (Thanks, you know who you are) and will write a quick review in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

cowed77

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried the gatsby hair jam, the blue color one over the weekend in kl. actually quite good, except that washing out is a beach, and leaves my hair with the clump tgt, squeaky feel.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You know how your hair looks after not showering for a day? Like it has that healthy shine, looks a bit dirty but damn sex at the same time that makes girls want to run their fingers thru your hair?

e.g.
a066792315fa106b077204cd54d33df1.jpg

I know how it looks n it's nothing like this ang mo dude!

And i think this pic looks like a model photoshoot and was not taken at the end of his day either! Haha

dj_flame

Reaction score
But but that texture....

Haha was just trying to emphasize the "dirtyness" that the two products reviewed can give. We with chinese hair must find a way to get that ang moh look mah.

teckgamer

Reaction score
Hi pros!!

I have some questions on blow drying your hair.

I am currently using hairbond shaper. Do you blow dry your hair after you apply the product or before you apply the product? What is the difference between the two?

I have heard that sea salt spray does bring volume to your hair. What does sea salt spray actually do? Thinking of getting one

Thank you for your information!

Edit Suits Co.

Reaction score
Hi pros!!

I have some questions on blow drying your hair.

I am currently using hairbond shaper. Do you blow dry your hair after you apply the product or before you apply the product? What is the difference between the two?

I have heard that sea salt spray does bring volume to your hair. What does sea salt spray actually do? Thinking of getting one

Thank you for your information!

You need to find out what works for you. Personally, I prefer blow drying first.

SSS works for you if your hair is flat and you want to add some volume. For me, there was no difference whether I used it or not because my hair is generally thick. Hope that helps.

All in a Day

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
But but that texture....

Haha was just trying to emphasize the "dirtyness" that the two products reviewed can give. We with chinese hair must find a way to get that ang moh look mah.

Haha yep, his facial hair looks softer and more manageable than my sides lor!

Anyway, tks for review n can trust u to gpgt since u sexposed urself several times alrd

Last edited:

prozaizxc

Reaction score
selling my quicksand!

Selling off my quicksand! Used less than 10 times for 15 bucks, meet up at serangoon/ ang mo kio anybody wants??

deaththeorist

Master Member
Reaction score
Tried the gatsby hair jam, the blue color one over the weekend in kl. actually quite good, except that washing out is a beach, and leaves my hair with the clump tgt, squeaky feel.

Wah... Red and green just melts away tho. Shampoo also dunnid lol

x3dnd3x

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I believe that should be normal for their products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.