The Contact Lenses Thread

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Lol. Ive done eye exam and lens fittings at NP before JB. Glad Ive found the cheapest there.

The shop at JB should check your eye health once again before passing you the lens! Make sure they do that before collecting your lenses.

wadsad

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ps i damn lazy to search within this thread. i know sure got ans somewhere but damn lazy :s13:

previously was contact lens user, using biofinity. but it was way too dry for me. also feel that the shop that i bought from i think not good service.

now i wan to buy contact lens again. so my qns...
where to do test? (only able to do in sg. not JB or others.)
where to buy?
best hydrating lens yet affordable? like biofinity kind of price one.

warhunter

Reaction score
ps i damn lazy to search within this thread. i know sure got ans somewhere but damn lazy :s13:

previously was contact lens user, using biofinity. but it was way too dry for me. also feel that the shop that i bought from i think not good service.

now i wan to buy contact lens again. so my qns...
where to do test? (only able to do in sg. not JB or others.)any optometrist will be able to perform a lens selection for you after a proper eye exam
where to buy? lenses should not be bought. they are not a consumer item. THEY ARE PRESCRIPTION ITEMS. You should not have the thinking that it is bought because they are not cosmetics. They are effectively medical devices.
best hydrating lens yet affordable? like biofinity kind of price one.Hydrating or not is not up to you. the optometrist will determine if the lenses are suitable for your after trying different kinds of lenses (diff brand, diff design) on your eye. They must observe how each lens perfom on the eye surface before making this decision

read text in red:vijayadmin:

Orionz

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread, i went to NP to do my contact lens fitting. Everything went fine and I was recommended Acuve Moist for Astig. Everything was fine at the fitting session and I was told that the lenses fit me very well.

However, upon trying the next 2 pairs of trial lenses, i noticed quite a bit of discomfort. It feels a bit tight and my eyes get dry very quickly. I had to rewet my eyes almost every hour. Also, my vision will turn a bit blur upon blinking...

I suspect I might have to try other brands. Where can I go to buy cheap trial lenses?

warhunter

Reaction score
After reading this thread, i went to NP to do my contact lens fitting. Everything went fine and I was recommended Acuve Moist for Astig. Everything was fine at the fitting session and I was told that the lenses fit me very well.

However, upon trying the next 2 pairs of trial lenses, i noticed quite a bit of discomfort. It feels a bit tight and my eyes get dry very quickly. I had to rewet my eyes almost every hour. Also, my vision will turn a bit blur upon blinking...

I suspect I might have to try other brands. Where can I go to buy cheap trial lenses?

if you wanna try another brand. ask your optometrist to try it on you. lens fitting is not a 100% hit. regular follow ups need to be done to determine if that lenses really suit you or not. nothing in this world is 1 shot 1 kill. if you looking for cheap, don't expect good service.

as the hokkien saying "ai pi gu ai qi". Very hard to achieve.:s13:

Orionz

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you wanna try another brand. ask your optometrist to try it on you. lens fitting is not a 100% hit. regular follow ups need to be done to determine if that lenses really suit you or not. nothing in this world is 1 shot 1 kill. if you looking for cheap, don't expect good service.

as the hokkien saying "ai pi gu ai qi". Very hard to achieve.:s13:

Bro, what are you talking about?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the service. I am asking where I can get loose trial lenses instead of having to buy boxes of 30 pcs without knowing if they would fit me well.

Last edited:

warhunter

Reaction score
Bro, what are you talking about?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the service. I am asking where I can get trial lenses instead of buying a box x30 without knowing if they would fit me well.

trial lenses come with contact lens fitting. you go to an optometrist to do it. If we think it fits you. we can prescribe it to you. either sell you a box. or if we are in a good mood, give you free trial pairs. In singapore, no one pays for the lens fitting, therefore if people ask for trial lenses, it pisses us off.

Orionz

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
trial lenses come with contact lens fitting. you go to an optometrist to do it. If we think it fits you. we can prescribe it to you. either sell you a box. or if we are in a good mood, give you free trial pairs. In singapore, no one pays for the lens fitting, therefore if people ask for trial lenses, it pisses us off.

means cannot buy trial lenses lah? must go do fitting, then if they prescribe x brand, then must buy 1 box of x brand?

wah lan, like that trial and error waste of time and money. I thought can buy loose trial pairs for like 5 bucks or something.

warhunter

Reaction score
means cannot buy trial lenses lah? must go do fitting, then if they prescribe x brand, then must buy 1 box of x brand?

wah lan, like that trial and error waste of time and money. I thought can buy loose trial pairs for like 5 bucks or something.

Contact lenses are prescription medical devices. so, yea. based on what they prescribe. you can find black sheeps who sell without fitting. but then you got no patient record. you are not protected.

even GP prescribe antibiotics also trial and error. just that antibiotics are broad acting. most of the time will work. prescribe wrong no one knows also.

you can buy. many will sell. not all though.

no one do fitting. anything goes wrong. you got no fight in court. no legal document, no proof, no nothing:D

P.S. usually u can go back to the optometrist u are seeing for a follow up with your lenses on for a few hours before the appointment. this will give them a better idea of how the lenses are working on your eye after a certain duration of wear.

you are already very lucky that majority of the optometrists here don't charge a consultation fee for contact lens fitting. here in australia the consult fee alone is $100+ (not including the box of lenses you buy). $100+ just for the chair time.

FYI -- TRIAL LENSES are actually short form for DIAGNOSTIC TRIAL LENSES. there is a reason why its called diagnostic. It is not for sale. Lens companies give them free to optometrists for fitting purposes. The reason some shops are selling them at $5 a pair is because there are cheap people around.

It is for determining the type of lenses that are suitable for you by a licensed professional.

Though the risk of contact lens related complications is low but once you get a complication, the consequences are severe. You can lose your sight. Lose independence. Lose time (due to medical consults). Lose money (treatment for conditions). There is a purpose for everything on this planet and the purpose of a lens fitting is to minimize the chances of the patient getting any of these severe consequences.

Last edited:

crossbird

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Many of you have recommended going down to NP for an eye examination and lens fitting for first-timers. However, they only accept appointments during their teaching weeks. I wanted to book an appointment but I just found out that their last teaching week was this week, so the earliest I can book will be 2 months later in October. Also, I heard that SP does not provide such services anymore.

Are there any other qualified places I can go to get my eyes properly checked and fitted for my first pair of contact lenses?

warhunter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Many of you have recommended going down to NP for an eye examination and lens fitting for first-timers. However, they only accept appointments during their teaching weeks. I wanted to book an appointment but I just found out that their last teaching week was this week, so the earliest I can book will be 2 months later in October. Also, I heard that SP does not provide such services anymore.

Are there any other qualified places I can go to get my eyes properly checked and fitted for my first pair of contact lenses?

SP is the first school in singapore to offer optometry how can it not provide the service. they are still providing. they too offer services only teaching periods.

Scarlet Tea

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Retard you can blind people with these kind of advice. Not all lenses are suitable for anyone. Moderators are not doing their job.

of cos buy it on your own risk.

these contact lenses are so far comfortable on regular basis.

not all brands in singapore are safe too.

i bought freshkon and i got eyesore the next day. it could have blinded me if i wore any longer wasnt it?

warhunter

Reaction score
of cos buy it on your own risk.

these contact lenses are so far comfortable on regular basis.

not all brands in singapore are safe too.

i bought freshkon and i got eyesore the next day. it could have blinded me if i wore any longer wasnt it?

You are buying at your own risk because you don't know the laws that protect you. Contact lenses are prescription only medical devices. you have to be prescribed for a particular brand/model of contact lens. you don't suka suka change from brand A to brand B to brand c. Or daily to monthly to biweekly.

Lenses are "safe" as long as they are imported by the company registered to import that particular brand under HSA. "safe" doesn't mean free from risks. it just means that there is a standard protocol for recall of products should there be a problem.

For lenses to be safe, they have to be prescribed for you. AND I MEAN FOR YOU ONLY. you don't go around borrowing contact lenses from friends, buying lenses online, reusing expired lenses or collecting them from the bin (or any sort of **** people do) when you run out just because they have the same power. Every brand/model fit differently on every eye. Your optometrist must assess the lens movement on your eye, follow you up after a period of lens adaptation. Thereafter, you can then safely say it is suitable for your eyes.

In order to be 100% safe, you yourself must be compliant in the lens cleaning and hand cleaning regime. the fit can be optimum for you but if you are not diligent in keeping your hands/lenses/case/solution clean you are still treading in the danger zone.

Comfortable does not mean its suitable. comfortable can also mean that the lenses are too tight.

You don't go blind because of an eyesore. Eye sore can be due to loads of issues.
-Can be due to improper cleaning (usually the case)
-Dirty lens case (people keep their lens cases for years when its supposed to be replaced monthly)
-contaminated solution (people dont replace solution in the case daily, keep solution bottles for years when they should discard it every month)
-Dirty hands
-Dirty individual - the list goes on and on and on including using saliva to re-wet lenses
-Improper fitting lenses (too tight/too lose)
-Conjunctivitis (inflammation of the covering over the white part of the eye due to the above reasons with/without infection)
-Cornea ulcer aka Keratitis (inflammation of the transparent tissue [you see through that and your contact lenses rests on it the whole frikin day blocking its oxygen and nutrient supply] over the black part of the eye due to the above reasons with/without infection)

The red one is the reason people go blind with contact lenses. you can get conjunctivitis then leading on to a keratitis which is why I highlighted both

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.