Microsoft Surface

sars8888

Master Member
Reaction score
It will depends on the stocks that can satisfy the pre order crowd.

Most shops stop the pre order because they will not have sufficient numbers to fulfil the order. Even those that still takes pre order does not guarantee a unit.

Only if all those that preorder received the surface unit then we will be able to see it at COMEX.

They'll be taking order in COMEX, even though Microsoft cannot fulfill to ship the past orders in time. What a waste if they skip to promote sp3 in this overwhelming exhibition of the year.

eijnaix

Banned
Reaction score
~大.芒.果~;88037414 said:
The SP3 will be able to drive a single 4K monitor through its mDP port. Can't drive two of them though.

Imo, 24" for a 4K monitor is too small, but that's personal preference. The difference between the 2413 and 2313 is huge though, i have a 2413 at home and i love the 16:10 ratio :).

because i don't want my beautifully designed product to have scratch marks :crazy:. to each his own though.

what is 2313 ??

picagen

Reaction score
Actually the i3 as a chip terrible. If you can afford it get an i5 at least. i3 computers are really slow.

you can't compare a desktop i3 vs i5, desktop i3 is just dual core but desktop i5 is quad core. so i3 is pretty bad for desktop when compared with i5. but desktop i3 is still more powerful when compared to a Celeron.

but in sp3 it uses ulv mobile cpu, ulv mobile i3 n i5 are both dual core with the same cache size, same gpu(just lower max clock for i3). main diff is clock speed, but with higher clock speed, so goes higher heat output.

the issue is the sp3 new thin case n single fan cooler, it has problem exhausting heat out fast enough for the i5, so it handles it by throttling the speed of cpu n gpu down, so it brings the performances of the i5 down to a i3 speed. the i3 model from many reviews don't hv this heat issue. so it runs at its full speed.

i3 is a 11.5Watt y series ulv cpu and the i5 is a 15Watt U series ulv cpu. in terms of cost, Intel sells both the i3 and the i5 at the same price, at US$281. so Microsoft don't save any cost for using the i3 vs i5.

I also hv a desktop bay trail dual core n2820, I use it for my living room surfing, hd youtubes, hd video playing with vlc all no issues. so to say i3 is a terrible/slow chip is relative.

Everyone hv different needs and different chip cater to different needs.

Last edited:

lrt2014

Reaction score
~大.芒.果~, your links does not show that it is cheaper? In fact it is more expensive given that the back guard alone costs USD$29.90.

Btw..check your DHL status...mine is "processed at Singapore". Wondering whether they will deliver by today or they will hold back till 28 Aug to deliver.

~大.芒.果~

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
~大.芒.果~, your links does not show that it is cheaper? In fact it is more expensive given that the back guard alone costs USD$29.90.

Btw..check your DHL status...mine is "processed at Singapore". Wondering whether they will deliver by today or they will hold back till 28 Aug to deliver.
Got promo code that's why I said take 90% off the list price. So for your case its 29.90*0.1

Can just refer the prices that I've stated in the thread :)

Last edited:

alan_shearer

Reaction score

Mine is "processed at Singapore" too!

sianz

Reaction score
you can't compare a desktop i3 vs i5, desktop i3 is just dual core but desktop i5 is quad core. so i3 is pretty bad for desktop when compared with i5. but desktop i3 is still more powerful when compared to a Celeron.

but in sp3 it uses ulv mobile cpu, ulv mobile i3 n i5 are both dual core with the same cache size, same gpu(just lower max clock for i3). main diff is clock speed, but with higher clock speed, so goes higher heat output.

the issue is the sp3 new thin case n single fan cooler, it has problem exhausting heat out fast enough for the i5, so it handles it by throttling the speed of cpu n gpu down, so it brings the performances of the i5 down to a i3 speed. the i3 model from many reviews don't hv this heat issue. so it runs at its full speed.

i3 is a 11.5Watt y series ulv cpu and the i5 is a 15Watt U series ulv cpu. in terms of cost, Intel sells both the i3 and the i5 at the same price, at US$281. so Microsoft don't save any cost for using the i3 vs i5.

I also hv a desktop bay trail dual core n2820, I use it for my living room surfing, hd youtubes, hd video playing with vlc all no issues. so to say i3 is a terrible/slow chip is relative.

Everyone hv different needs and different chip cater to different needs.

Well I am basing my opinion on this
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8287/first-look-the-799-microsoft-surface-pro-3-with-core-i3

Also I use a core i3 laptop at work and compared to my surface pro it crawls. Maybe its the 4200 rpm hdd. Ok maybe calling it a terrible chip was too extreme, but I did want to highlight the performance difference to potential buyers so they won't be disappointed after getting one!
That said you are right. A core i3 is good enough for basic computing.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.