[Maylyn's Review] ASUS RT-AC87U

jastan

Master Member
Reaction score
my friend was impressed with AC87U, after playing with mine just now.

his golden question, "any store selling?" :s13:

arozario

Reaction score
All the setup instructions on here seem to be in relation to Singtel i.e. presets and CT1/CT2.

Anywhere I can look for specific instructions for Viewqwest? Can I connect directly from the fiber box on the wall to AC87, or do I still need to use the zhone router?

X-powerman

Banned
Reaction score
All the setup instructions on here seem to be in relation to Singtel i.e. presets and CT1/CT2.

Anywhere I can look for specific instructions for Viewqwest? Can I connect directly from the fiber box on the wall to AC87, or do I still need to use the zhone router?

There is no way you can connect AC87 to the fiber box on the way.

ngbc

Master Member
Reaction score

Zhone is a ONT cum Router device, no way you can replace it with AC87 completely !!!

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi

I set up the Prolink WNR1004 as wireless access point for me to use my tablet, phone etc in my room as the wireless strength from the main AC87U in the hall is not strong enough.

I want to set the prolink as AP but the mobile device is unable to obtain IP address fr the AC87U. Then i set the prolink to router mode. its able to get internet access via the media bridge unit. meaning i cant have "access" to my other device connected to the main AC87U unit.

firmware latest 3.0.0.4.376_2678

Dear cochran,

You need to play around with your system settings on network drive.

Nothing to do with RT-AC87U settings.

Best regard,
JK

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear cochran,

You need to play around with your system settings on network drive.

Nothing to do with RT-AC87U settings.

Best regard,
JK
Its the mobile device like iphone 5, sony tablet xperia and xiaomi 1s they are unable to obtain ip address from the AC87u to be connected.

Lets not talk about network drive first.

AC87u unable to assign IP addresses to the mobile device when connected to the prolink WNR1004 when set as AP connected to the media bridge AC87u unit.

Pls advice.

Thank you.

ASUS@SG

Suspended
Reaction score
Dear all,

For user who are unsure regarding Hardware NAT and want to learn more.

level 1(software NAT, called ctf); level 2(HW NAT, called FA)
Level 1 : wan is eth0
Level 2 : wan is vlan2

Best regard,
JK

Dr_ARCHer

Master Member
Reaction score
Its the mobile device like iphone 5, sony tablet xperia and xiaomi 1s they are unable to obtain ip address from the AC87u to be connected.

Lets not talk about network drive first.

AC87u unable to assign IP addresses to the mobile device when connected to the prolink WNR1004 when set as AP connected to the media bridge AC87u unit.

Pls advice.

Thank you.

I don't have the Prolink but did you connect to the AC87 media bridge using the Prolink's LAN port or WAN port? If there is only one port, does it switch from WAN to LAN if you switch from router to AP?

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the prolink its a pocket router. only 1 lan port. So i connect the prolink lan port to one of lan port of the AC87U media bridge unit. the Prolink is set as AP mode. meaning input from lan port then output via its wireless.

I tried on my other belkin router last time used to work as AP via aztech powerline system working perfectly connected to my old dlink DIR855 router.
But connected the belkin router to the AC87U media bridge unit. faced the same problem as the prolink not able to obtain IP address.

SimonLam

Reaction score
Just a interesting question:

If I replace all 8 of my AC87U antennas with +9dB, +12dB and +15dB ones (there are some selling in Amazon), will it max the 5Ghz wireless bridge to hit close to 1Gbps cap?

Any way to order these, seems didn't see them on retail stores.

Last edited:

andr3wyong

Master Member
Reaction score
VQ subscribers: I got a batch coming in… stay tuned… discounted prices for subscribers :D

cochran

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If I replace all 8 of my AC87U antennas with +9dB, +12dB and +15dB ones (there are some selling in Amazon), will it max the 5Ghz wireless bridge to hit close to 1Gbps cap?

Read that the AC87U antenna is specially designed. SO izzit wise to change them?

I may wanna change too as my signal strength is not strong enough to get to my room.

seller4

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I also want to know. I got one of this sitting around.

41mb3kHZSwL.jpg

jkng3288

Reaction score
Hi,

Want to check where to buy this router now. Missed it in COMEX :(

Checked in funan challegener also dont have..sigh..

ckh98258

Reaction score

Read that the AC87U antenna is specially designed. SO izzit wise to change them?

I may wanna change too as my signal strength is not strong enough to get to my room.

I just ordered 9dBi antenna last week from superpowersupply so if can wait I will share my review once it's here.

Anyway I guess so many how special the design is it's still 5dBi antenna and it got its own limit so I still go ahead with my order. If not happy with 9dBi maybe will try 15dBi. :D

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.