Digital TV (DVB T2) in Singapore [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvintan89

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought a new Sony Bravia 40" TV KDR40R470B with Daiyo EU1703 antenna and I am only able to pick up 4 channels. HD5, CH8, Suria and VAS.

Living in CCK north. Any tips to improve? Signal strength is very weak. Around 20 range... :s22:

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my antenna is only 2 long wires, i can pickup all the 7 channels. strength at 15% but that is good enough to watch already. the beauty of digital signal :). i at bedok low floor.

I live at highest floor lol

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
any idea why samsung wants to block DVB-C in Singapore?
Is it illegal to use DVB-C in Singapore? :s22:

I will be trying to access the service menu to change the region to something else..(else well as see time on power to see if it is a display set, or not)..

but first need to get my hands on a samsung smart controller that WORKS!! can't believe my set only has the smart touch remote...lol. :s11:

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any idea why samsung wants to block DVB-C in Singapore?
Is it illegal to use DVB-C in Singapore? :s22:

I highly doubt that there is any law that says it's illegal. After all, the FTA channels are left unencrypted.

I think it's just Starhub being uncomfortable with people realising that their TVs can actually "see" the encrypted channels and tempt them into trying to find illegal ways to tap in.

If you noticed, the latest Starhub set top boxes are by Samsung, which means that Starhub must have gotten their two cents with Samsung in the meanwhile.

Other TVs like Philips have no issues accessing DVB-C.

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will be trying to access the service menu to change the region to something else..(else well as see time on power to see if it is a display set, or not)..

but first need to get my hands on a samsung smart controller that WORKS!! can't believe my set only has the smart touch remote...lol. :s11:

can buy from ebay, original one like 20+, compatible samsung remotes like 10+. My tv also only has the smart remote :(

CrazyBlue

Reaction score
Just borrowed my sisters Samsung controller for her dvd player.. Does not work.

Found a new method of choosing country by going into TV setup.. But I chose UK, still No DVB-C tuner. Maybe Singapore set different?

Instead of buying antenna.. Is there some other method?

Oh side note.. Got some other options unavailable for Singapore.. Now I get to choose them.. Apps too. Lol

Last edited:

sgmem88

Reaction score
Just borrowed my sisters Samsung controller for her dvd player.. Does not work.

Found a new method of choosing country by going into TV setup.. But I chose UK, still No DVB-C tuner. Maybe Singapore set different?

Instead of buying antenna.. Is there some other method?

Oh side note.. Got some other options unavailable for Singapore.. Now I get to choose them.. Apps too. Lol

Can you share the new method of choosing country??

If you are changing the region for Smart hub to UK, it's just affect Apps store... I don't think that will change tuner settings....

sgmem88

Reaction score
I highly doubt that there is any law that says it's illegal. After all, the FTA channels are left unencrypted.

I think it's just Starhub being uncomfortable with people realising that their TVs can actually "see" the encrypted channels and tempt them into trying to find illegal ways to tap in.

If you noticed, the latest Starhub set top boxes are by Samsung, which means that Starhub must have gotten their two cents with Samsung in the meanwhile.

Other TVs like Philips have no issues accessing DVB-C.

Wow! Starhub got so much power on Samsung??? :eek:

Does this mean Starhub is infringing consumer's rights since we pay for the TV including DVB-C tuner?

Qubicfactor

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow! Starhub got so much power on Samsung??? :eek:

Does this mean Starhub is infringing consumer's rights since we pay for the TV including DVB-C tuner?

I don't have any insider info on what is going on, but logically thinking about it, Samsung disabling a feature that is present by default in their TVs has to be an intentional business decision. All the more with recent reports some Samsung TVs with working DVB-C tuners had their DVB-C tuners disabled by a new firmware update.

The only relationship I can think of between Samsung and Starhub on the TV side of things is the contract to supply the new set top boxes. The timing of this and the deployment of firmware updates to disable the DVB-C tuners couldn't be just a coincidence.

arcturuz

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any one knows if sengkang, specifically near buangkok mrt, has signal for digital DVB-T2? Bought a Samsung HU7200 then realised digital ready means many things.. So I can't get HD 5.

Asked around and they all said if cannot get signal but the antenna is working, cannot exchange. So which antenna? I read hwz featured article mentioning the daiyo one. Then recently Draco.. Which is better?

living somewhere near this area, between buangkok and compasspoint

bought a draco ant-600 to try on my dvb-t2 ready tv, no signal

$29 down the drain :(

slwsglz

Reaction score
living somewhere near this area, between buangkok and compasspoint

bought a draco ant-600 to try on my dvb-t2 ready tv, no signal

$29 down the drain :(

You can keep the item first.. cos by 2016 onwards, all will be fully digital tv ready one.. dun despair.. i just bought TV which DVB-TV ready too... but i decide not to buy the items worth $29 cos the saleman said that it is not urgent even 2016 come then all fully digital...

it may take 2 yrs to convert from analog to digital leh..

arcturuz

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can keep the item first.. cos by 2016 onwards, all will be fully digital tv ready one.. dun despair.. i just bought TV which DVB-TV ready too... but i decide not to buy the items worth $29 cos the saleman said that it is not urgent even 2016 come then all fully digital...

it may take 2 yrs to convert from analog to digital leh..

try sticking it out your window?

guess i'll just have to wait till 2015/2016 for my area to be indoor digital ready

the device is too short for me to stick out of my window =:p

wonder if buying the $64 daiyo eu1702 will help but afraid to spend more money and end up no signal again

coyote

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guess i'll just have to wait till 2015/2016 for my area to be indoor digital ready

the device is too short for me to stick out of my window =:p

wonder if buying the $64 daiyo eu1702 will help but afraid to spend more money and end up no signal again

Just get a long antenna cable, that'll do. I assume your antenna is power-boosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.