Not open for further replies.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Vismark

Reaction score

jelom00

Reaction score
Both Ueno and Tokyo are 2 major transport hubs in their own rights. Toyko is recently renovated, so expect better ramp and signage. Ueno is more dated but doesn't mean its harder to maneuver

Try to look up their station map. But no guarantee one, sometimes map say have lift but when you reached there its under maintenance, so you know lah that kind of things happen. best is still travel light. Use the 24" luggage if you can.

Thanks again :)

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Uh.. Okay.
Will try look find others.

Thanks alot too!

Saw a few pages further someone recommend Ueno Hotel.
Is it good? Location seems not bad, simple room.

Ueno is a huge station and the Iriya exit is on the far end of the station. it is about 5min to get from the main area of the station to the Iriya exit. and if u are taking Keisei line from Narita, it is about 10-15min to the Keisei Ueno station.
if u dun mind the distance, u can also consider Super Hotel Iriyaguchi, which is slightly nearer.

Vismark

Reaction score
Ueno is a huge station and the Iriya exit is on the far end of the station. it is about 5min to get from the main area of the station to the Iriya exit. and if u are taking Keisei line from Narita, it is about 10-15min to the Keisei Ueno station.
if u dun mind the distance, u can also consider Super Hotel Iriyaguchi, which is slightly nearer.

Oh.. okay.
Found someone blog mention on a thread for first time Tokyo.
Found a few hotel not bad near and cheap too.
Eg of 1 of them is Toyoko Inn Tokyo Shinjuku.
Maybe will get this one, looks decent.
Any comments for this?

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh.. okay.
Any comments for this?

I used to eye on Khaosan hostels:

KABUKI:RATES ? Khaosan Tokyo Guest House Hostel

They have private rooms with attached bathrooms too

evilerniex

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh.. okay.
Any comments for this?

Toyoko Inn is a business hotel chain which have branches all over japan. tried-and-test, cant go wrong. I usually go with Toyoko Inn or Super Hotel when staying in cities if I cant find anything cheaper

Vismark

Reaction score
I used to eye on Khaosan hostels:

KABUKI:RATES ? Khaosan Tokyo Guest House Hostel

They have private rooms with attached bathrooms too

Thanks for the intro, but don think my parents will like this kind.

Toyoko Inn is a business hotel chain which have branches all over japan. tried-and-test, cant go wrong. I usually go with Toyoko Inn or Super Hotel when staying in cities if I cant find anything cheaper

Okay, thats good!
High chance I may get this one, but now cannot book for October yet.

alvismah

Reaction score
think it is ok for JAL.
but there are cheaper alternatives. u can find cheaper flights to Tokyo, then take budget domestic flight to Sapporo. Peach Airline going to have NRT-CTS flight starting from end march this year.

btw, ur search #2 doesn't have flight from Tokyo to Sapporo. are u planning to take train?
hmm if take train from Tokyo to Sapporo how much will it cost per person and travel time how long? TIA

Sent from Xiaomi HM NOTE 1W using GAGT

cpuer

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all, I have some questions:

1) I am going to take the Sagona Scenic Railway on 6 March. I will be travelling from Kobe. Based on Hyperdia, the route is Sannomiya-Osaka-SagaArashiyama (abt 70-80min). From here, how do I get to the Torroko Saga station to board the scenic train?
Is this the fastest route, as in, do I have to bypass Osaka? Also, the route between Osaka & SagaArashiyama may be run my Shinkansen and needs to reserve seats. Does that mean the rapid service might not have seats and we need to stand?
SagaArashiyama and Torokko Saga is just next to each other
Kyoto Travel: Arashiyama and Sagano

rapids are first come first serve basis, just stand around those that are seating, when u have a seat you can just take it

2) Can I buy all these tickets (including return tic) together at JR Osaka sta. If so, do I have to choose which route? If I miss a train, can I take the next one using my existing ticket?
Unless its a reserved seats like the Shinkansen, you can either buy the individual paper tickets in teh departing stations or use the IC card called ICOCA(like our Ezlink), it's easier.

3) Can I buy these tickets in Shinjuku? as above

4) Pls advise on this route:- On the way back on the scenic train, alight at Torokko Arayashima Sta. (one stop before you reach the boarding sta.-Saga Arayashima ). Walk to
Bamboo Grove. Further down to Tenryuji Temple (500Yen). Walk the street toward the famous Togetsukyo bridge. Many shops.
Reached Arayashima Sta. (walk around)..walk 20min to Saga Arashiyama Sta to take JR back to Kyoto.
Is there anyway I can avoid the 20min walk? LOL, the walk is part of the experience, if really too tired take a cab bah. Or rent some bicycles.

5) I think above will take half or 3/4 day. When I am back to Kyoto, do I still have some time to tour Nijo castle for the plum trees? Am I restricted on the JR time back to Kobe?
Start early you can make it. Nijo castle is near Nijo stn from your arashiyama line.

Thanks in advance!

See some of my comments

Last edited:

Nalgene123

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1) I am going to take the Sagona Scenic Railway on 6 March. I will be travelling from Kobe. Based on Hyperdia, the route is Sannomiya-Osaka-SagaArashiyama (abt 70-80min). From here, how do I get to the Torroko Saga station to board the scenic train?
Is this the fastest route, as in, do I have to bypass Osaka? Also, the route between Osaka & SagaArashiyama may be run my Shinkansen and needs to reserve seats. Does that mean the rapid service might not have seats and we need to stand?

2) Can I buy all these tickets (including return tic) together at JR Osaka sta. If so, do I have to choose which route? If I miss a train, can I take the next one using my existing ticket?

3) Can I buy these tickets in Shinjuku?

4) Pls advise on this route:- On the way back on the scenic train, alight at Torokko Arayashima Sta. (one stop before you reach the boarding sta.-Saga Arayashima ). Walk to
Bamboo Grove. Further down to Tenryuji Temple (500Yen). Walk the street toward the famous Togetsukyo bridge. Many shops.
Reached Arayashima Sta. (walk around)..walk 20min to Saga Arashiyama Sta to take JR back to Kyoto.
Is there anyway I can avoid the 20min walk?

5) I think above will take half or 3/4 day. When I am back to Kyoto, do I still have some time to tour Nijo castle for the plum trees? Am I restricted on the JR time back to Kobe?

Thanks in advance!

1) The station for the start point of the scenic railway is located just next to the JR Saga Arashiyama building...it's situated in a brown bick building and there's a Steam Locomotive in front of it...you won't be able to miss it...

fastest way is to take Shinkansen to JR Kyoto Station then take the JR Sagano line to JR Saga Arashiyama station..for rapid service trains..its free seating so you won't be able to do reservation..you might want to reserve seats for the shinkansen portion of the journey from shin kobe to JR kyoto

2) if you are taking limited express services to Kyoto from Osaka...then yes...you can reserve ticket for the return journey...if you miss the train...you can always use the free seating part of the train service..you should not face any problem with the conductor since you've paid for your ticket

3) Yes....you can basically reserve seating for JR trains across the Japan from any JR ticket offices

4) Your walking path seems fine since Torokko Arashiyama is located near the bamboo grove.....there's no walk to avoid the walk to JR Saga Arashiyama....the two other stations nearer to the bridge are Raden Arashiyama and Hankyu Arashiyama...there's a connection to Umeda from the Hankyu station via the Hankyu Kyoto Line..but it takes a long time..so you are better off going back to kobe from JR kyoto station

5) Arashiyama is a very scenic and pleasant place to be...don't rush yourself and just spent half a day there...you will have more than enough things to see and do for an entire day.....so my suggestion is just to spent one entire day in Arashiyama...but alternatively....it's also plausible to visit Nijo castle...but you will probably need to leave Arashiyama latest at 2.30pm as the trip to Nijo castle will take 45mins-1hr from Arashiyama

hoshiyume

Master Member
Reaction score
Lukasi wrote:

3) Can I buy these tickets in Shinjuku?

Is there anyway I can avoid the 20min walk?

Thanks in advance!

I bought my arashiyama train tix (one way) at KIX when i arrived coz at that time the train tix during autumn very popular...

Walking in Arashiyama is actually one of the highlight... Despite my extremely after many days of walking leg, I continued to walk to take in the sights and sounds - i walked all the way to the bridge. Actually in kyoto, walking is ur best friend if you want to see more and also save time - the buses are so not your friend

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.