[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Happy to report that everything is fine after three months.

1) HDD Hibernation OFF
2) 12:00-6:00am scheduled shutdown.

Haha, I feel laughing because my 412+ has never lasted more than 2 weeks without failing.

My config

Bay 1 = RMA'd Recertified 4TB Red (RMA'd twice, SMART failure, bad sectors and dropped out of array. Lasted about 2 weeks.)
Bay 2 = RMA'd Non-Recertified 5TB Red (Got back a RED 5TB after sending in a 4TB, NO PROBLEMS so far)
Bay 3= RMA'd Recertified 4TB Red (Failed on the 17th and 22nd December, lasted roughly 3 months after RMA)
Bay 4= RMA'd Recertied 4TB Red (NO PROBLEMS so far)

Total RMA's done = 7 in the space of 4 months.

drevey

Reaction score
DS214play NAS - Looking for expansion

Hi,

I am currently using a DS214play bought in Nov 2014 with 2 x 2tb but the total storage space is only 2tb as the seller configured as a Mirror setup.

Currently I am looking to expand the space so thinking should i just get a HDD and plug into the NAS USB as a external HDD for expansion?

Any suggestions and how much TB of space can i get as an option to using as external HDD?

Regards

VoodooKing

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently using a DS214play bought in Nov 2014 with 2 x 2tb but the total storage space is only 2tb as the seller configured as a Mirror setup.

Currently I am looking to expand the space so thinking should i just get a HDD and plug into the NAS USB as a external HDD for expansion?

Any suggestions and how much TB of space can i get as an option to using as external HDD?

Regards

I don't think you can expand a volume using a USB external disk.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Regards

You should replace the 2TB with bigger driver, one by one as per instruction from below link:
https://help.synology.com/dsm/?section=DSM&version=5.1&link=StorageManager%2Fvolume_diskgroup_expand_replace_disk.html

drevey

Reaction score

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi jtjt00,

The help link example is for SHR, is it the same as Raid 1 type? According to the help does it means that I need to get 2 x larger TBs HDD and change one by one before i can expand my space?

Yes to all

flikmy

Reaction score
DS214play redundancy strategy

Hi all Synology gurus,

I've just gotten a DS214play with a single 6TB HD.
Heard from some forums that configuring the disks as raid doesn't provide data redundancy as data errors are mirrored across both disks.

So currently, I have the single 6TB HD as the main volume and then got one of my older 1TB HDs as volume 2 serving as a timebackup for the photos. Am thinking about getting another 1-2TB USB external drive to serve as additional data backup.

Was wondering if this is a recommended way to configure the nas?
I'm also a little unsure of how to restore the nas configurations if my 6TB HD dies. Does it mean that I will need to buy a new 6TB HD and setup everything from scratch?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I tried searching for this but unsure of what I needed to search for.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all Synology gurus,

Heard from some forums that configuring the disks as raid doesn't provide data redundancy as data errors are mirrored across both disks.

So currently, I have the single 6TB HD as the main volume and then got one of my older 1TB HDs as volume 2 serving as a timebackup for the photos. Am thinking about getting another 1-2TB USB external drive to serve as additional data backup.

I'm also a little unsure of how to restore the nas configurations if my 6TB HD dies. Does it mean that I will need to buy a new 6TB HD and setup everything from scratch?

Apologies if this has been covered before. I tried searching for this but unsure of what I needed to search for.

To put it bluntly,
RAID = Redundancy.

It is not backup. Setting up different RAID types depends on your usage pattern, nobody could tell you if its correct or not. For your case, i rather you set up with RAID 1 at least.

Yes, you will need to buy another 6TB and start from scratch if it dies - so recommended will be RAID1 (mirror) - so effectively you will have 6TB of usable space with the 2nd 6TB disk duplicating it (thus redundancy).

What you have read is for RAID5,6 and/or etc.

You can read more about RAIDs at wikipedia.com

midustouch

Reaction score
Right now you have no redundancy, since both hdds are being used as volumes. The only way to expand is to copy out your ata and copy it back in.

Hi all Synology gurus,

midustouch

Reaction score
If your NAS is configured for RAID1, it's not the same as SHR1.

Hi jtjt00,

The help link example is for SHR, is it the same as Raid 1 type? According to the help does it means that I need to get 2 x larger TBs HDD and change one by one before i can expand my space?

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
my DS414 power brick just went dead, anyone knows if its covered by warranty? i brought mine last year at expo. lost the receipt and i dont know which distro it belongs to.

flikmy

Reaction score
To put it bluntly,
RAID = Redundancy.

It is not backup. Setting up different RAID types depends on your usage pattern, nobody could tell you if its correct or not. For your case, i rather you set up with RAID 1 at least.

Yes, you will need to buy another 6TB and start from scratch if it dies - so recommended will be RAID1 (mirror) - so effectively you will have 6TB of usable space with the 2nd 6TB disk duplicating it (thus redundancy).

What you have read is for RAID5,6 and/or etc.

You can read more about RAIDs at wikipedia.com

Thanks Gribber and midustouch for the correction on redundancy.

On another note, is there a way to do a backup of all settings, applications and some data from volume 1 to an external drive. So if drive 1 dies, I could buy a new drive and load everything from the backup?

At the moment, I have a second disk as volume 2 running time backup of data from the first volume. That is why I've not setup RAID1/mirror.

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
just check my unit belongs to Ace, called them up regarding the adapter, they say not covered under warranty, so have to buy one.
if EA does cover and Ace dont cover, next time i will just get my stuffs from EA already lor.
I might as well go SLS buy those third party adapter, since Ace wanna charge me $120 before GST.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Gribber and midustouch for the correction on redundancy.

On another note, is there a way to do a backup of all settings, applications and some data from volume 1 to an external drive. So if drive 1 dies, I could buy a new drive and load everything from the backup?

At the moment, I have a second disk as volume 2 running time backup of data from the first volume. That is why I've not setup RAID1/mirror.

You dont have to worry those if you have performed redundancy:)

teadee

Reaction score
just check my unit belongs to Ace, called them up regarding the adapter, they say not covered under warranty, so have to buy one.
if EA does cover and Ace dont cover, next time i will just get my stuffs from EA already lor.
I might as well go SLS buy those third party adapter, since Ace wanna charge me $120 before GST.

You can try contacting Synology Support via email about your problem and ask if it's covered under warranty. If they say it is, show the email as proof to Ace and they'll have no choice but to replace it for you :)

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got mine exchange for free, don't see why you need to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.