NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

isrida96

Reaction score
How you guys compare between NTU Accountancy , NUS BBA ( Accountancy) and SMU Accountancy?

There isnt exactly a way to compare across all three cause all of the three unis offer AASCB accredition at the end of the day which is an important accredition if you googled it. NTU was the first uni to get that accredition followed by SMU and then NUS.

NUS accountancy is relatively new compared to NTU and SMU. However one way you can consider is teaching method across all three and flexibility in terms of your curriculum, overseas exposure etc. NUS & NTU are shifting towards seminar style but the interactiveness compared to SMU is lesser.

SMU has greater overseas exposure and exchange is guaranteed once you indicate you want to do exchange. If you are not picky to whichever exchange you will be able to do exchange and credits transfer is rather flexible except that Accounting core you cannot do overseas. For NUS is quite stringent in the process and also I heard credit transfers are a little difficult. NTU not so sure.

However SMU itself is a management university so if you are really sure to be in the business/corporate industry it is a good test bed as every school curriculum regardless of social sci, law, IS all revolves around business modules. Nonetheless SMU has lesser choices compared to NTU and NUS as it is only a partial university.

NUS BBA (Acct.) does not offer direct honours unlike NTU and SMU. For SMU once your GPA falls within the different hnours system you get your hnours and you can still complete it within three years like NTU and with hnours as well.

On top of that SMU education is more towards US style (not fully) but along the line. NTU and NUS are more UK style. SMU has continual assessment so your final examination is about 50% of your grades or sometimes lesser depending on the weightage of components. Continual assessment meaning projects and quizzes etc. If you are tired of UK style where 80-90% of your grades depends on your finals, it might be a good time to switch to the US style.

All in all at the end of day, is not choosing about the perfect uni (no such thing!!! even Harvard and Cambridge isnt a perfect uni). It is about choosing a uni that is perfect for you! And also the uni is able to give you room to grow and develop your potential and not be the same person from the point you start your uni journey till you graduate.

Do message me if you need more info!

Justneedtoknow

Reaction score
my cgpa is 3.5 but was rejected! was materials eng your first choice?

Second choice.. What diploma did you graduate with? Mine was NYP CPT. Do you have O levels? My first choice was physics though. Don't know why I didn't get physics :/

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Dear Seniors & anyone who had successfully secured a place,

After staring at the computer screen for 3 days and 3 nights, I am a bit stumped as to how I should angle my appeals essays.

Can anyone give me some pointers pleaseee? :sad:

I mean, if I know for sure that I was rejected based on low grades not hitting the IGP I think its easier for me to craft an essay rather than now which I am like :s11::s11::s11:.

In my DA essays I mainly spoke about my non-academics.

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got accepted into NTU Philosophy (my fifth choice...OUT OF FIVE hahaha), and I heard that it will be easier for me to appeal into another NTU course if I have already been accepted into a course already. So my chances if I do appeal will be good?

Also, if I do appeal to another course, can I appeal to the the first four choices that I have already submitted, or is it better to appeal to a course that I did not put in my choices?

Thanks!

bananameowz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got accepted into NTU Philosophy (my fifth choice...OUT OF FIVE hahaha), and I heard that it will be easier for me to appeal into another NTU course if I have already been accepted into a course already. So my chances if I do appeal will be good?

Also, if I do appeal to another course, can I appeal to the the first four choices that I have already submitted, or is it better to appeal to a course that I did not put in my choices?

Thanks!

Hi! :) If it's alright with you, may I know your RP? I've also applied for philosophy and I'm still waiting for the news of my interview that happened last week... :( Thank you so much! If you are uncomfortable to post your RP here do feel free to PM me!! But if you are unwilling to share that's fine too hehe

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks!

The best would be to appeal to the IGP closest to your grades IMO.

wisdomthoughts

Reaction score
Hey guys, from what I know, ntu sociology is a popular course that has been receiving applications exceeding the limitations.. if you appealed for sociology, you dont really stand a chance at all. Do reconsider what you might want to appeal n goodluck

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hey guys, from what I know, ntu sociology is a popular course that has been receiving applications exceeding the limitations.. if you appealed for sociology, you dont really stand a chance at all. Do reconsider what you might want to appeal n goodluck

Really? Where did you hear that from?

hi, if my gpa is 3.55, and I appealed sociology (3.47) which was my fourth choice, is it ok?

So will you be changing your choice of appeal as well?

wisdomthoughts

Reaction score
Well, at least he is putting in effort to fight for his appeal.

I'll give him a + 1 for effort :s13:

I am serious. I went down to the school to seek for help and the person there told me. I was just trying to let you guys know not to waste your appeal choices like me. Lol

bananameowz

Reaction score
Nice try scaring people off so that you'll stand a chance with your appeal to that course. Didn't earlier you posted this:

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here, but he/she is right; sociology is a very popular course and chances of successful appeal is incredibly slim. In socio, the number of students applying exceeds the number of places by a good margin, and don't forget, there is a waiting list for students who perhaps missed the IGP by a little/maybe didn't do very well for the interview but has potential etc etc. And these people on the waiting list has a higher priority than those who are trying to appeal (if you have been rejected in the first place, not v sure about the chances for those who wish to switch course)

I've been through this whole university application experience before last year (this is my second time applying) and I did lots of calls to the administration before, and this is what they told me :/

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
Hi! :) If it's alright with you, may I know your RP? I've also applied for philosophy and I'm still waiting for the news of my interview that happened last week... :( Thank you so much! If you are uncomfortable to post your RP here do feel free to PM me!! But if you are unwilling to share that's fine too hehe

hey there :) actually I was from poly and my gpa was 3.61.

I also went to the interview last week!! I checked my status on the portal and it said I got accepted, although I have yet to receive the letter. Just curious, was philosophy your first choice? I do have an interest in philosophy but I'm actually worried about the "new-ness" of the course in NTU since it only started last year.

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
The best would be to appeal to the IGP closest to your grades IMO.

even if the course I want seems to be quite popular and people here are saying that it most likely won't be successful? (I'm talking about NTU sociology btw) 10th percentile for socio is 3.47 and my gpa is 3.61...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.