NTU/NUS/SMU 2015-2016 Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
oh another question!!

is it possible to be accepted by two courses in NTU? cos I went for two interviews at NTU but it does not mean if one accepts me the other one doesn't right?

bananameowz

Reaction score
hey there :) actually I was from poly and my gpa was 3.61.

I also went to the interview last week!! I checked my status on the portal and it said I got accepted, although I have yet to receive the letter. Just curious, was philosophy your first choice? I do have an interest in philosophy but I'm actually worried about the "new-ness" of the course in NTU since it only started last year.

Hey! Thanks for replying :) Oh oops my bad haha. That's awesome btw, congrats!! :D

My portal didn't state anything about my status, so I'm a bit nervous and worried at the same time.. Hopefully I'll receive something from them soon especially since the portal is about to close :'( And no haha philo was my third choice but after doing some in depth research, philo seems like a great choice especially if you want to go into fields such as journalism/comms :) I understand what you mean though; during the interview I asked the profs about internship opportunites for philo students and he couldn't really give me a specific answer cos they only launched the course last year haha

bananameowz

Reaction score
oh another question!!

is it possible to be accepted by two courses in NTU? cos I went for two interviews at NTU but it does not mean if one accepts me the other one doesn't right?

I'm afraid not... Being accepted into two courses in the same Uni is unheard of :-(

momoabc

Reaction score
Hi all guys. Can I know anyone still waitting for reply from SMU ? My interview for acc has gone for 2 months so sad. Does it mean I have no chance alr?

The status still show pending no accept no reject ><

Havok_ex

Reaction score
sociology is a very popular course and chances of successful appeal is incredibly slim. In socio, the number of students applying exceeds the number of places by a good margin

Its the same for every course in all 3 big local unis. The number of students applying far exceeds the number they can take in.

This especially applies for all Social Science and Humanities courses. Their intake is small while the number of applicants is really high.

The chances of a successful appeal for any HSS course is pretty damn low as compared to an appeal to an engineering course, just due to the small intake.

And soci technically has quite a big intake already as compared to other hss courses.

Last edited:

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I have changed my appeal to philosophy.

hey there :) actually I was from poly and my gpa was 3.61.

I also went to the interview last week!! I checked my status on the portal and it said I got accepted, although I have yet to receive the letter. Just curious, was philosophy your first choice? I do have an interest in philosophy but I'm actually worried about the "new-ness" of the course in NTU since it only started last year.

I'll give you some insider info on philosophy in NTU. Right now. Its really really new. The course took in its first batch last year. They barely have enough lecturers btw. There was barely enough lecturers last year when they were only teaching 1 batch. This August, they will be teaching 2 batches, the current batch and the ones enrolling this August. But they only managed to hire one new prof. Imagine what will happen just 2 years down the road when they have 4 full batches of students to teach AND have to supervise FYPs for the graduating batch.

This upcoming semester, the year 2s will only have 4 new philosophy modules to choose from.

Compare this to History, which is only 2-3 years older than Philosophy, but has 19 modules for their year 2s to choose from. There is no diversity in the modules offered. Either you take the module that they offer, or you pray and hope that they offer something better down the line.

It also means that there will be quite alot of competition for the very limited number of modules offered.

Source :
http://wish.wis.ntu.edu.sg/webexe/owa/aus_subj_cont.main

These are the cons of studying philosophy in NTU. Sad to say, I cant give any pros. There is no track record of employment but one can easily predict that its not going to be very high. So please, think it over a few times if you want to appeal to or accept the offer to philosophy.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
even if the course I want seems to be quite popular and people here are saying that it most likely won't be successful? (I'm talking about NTU sociology btw) 10th percentile for socio is 3.47 and my gpa is 3.61...

I think you should try regardless, what other courses would you appeal to instead if not soci? Assuming your interest is in HSS, the only courses within your GPA to appeal to are Chinese, English, LMS, History and Soci. PPGA is at 3.63 but its way more popular than soci. To be on the safe side, you should choose among these five courses if you intend to get into HSS.

Nosferato4

Reaction score
Hi all guys. Can I know anyone still waitting for reply from SMU ? My interview for acc has gone for 2 months so sad. Does it mean I have no chance alr?

Hi, may I know what is your GPA/ UAS score?

If they haven't given your offer it is likely your interview performance was less than satisfactory, but they are still considering you with other group of applicants who had less than satisfactory interview result.

So you may have a chance! Don't give up.

however, if you want to be more kiasu abit, go start planning your appeal to prepare for worse-case scenario. It will help give you more time to edit it over

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
I think you should try regardless, what other courses would you appeal to instead if not soci? Assuming your interest is in HSS, the only courses within your GPA to appeal to are Chinese, English, LMS, History and Soci. PPGA is at 3.63 but its way more popular than soci. To be on the safe side, you should choose among these five courses if you intend to get into HSS.

Actually i went for the interview for English...the professor said that I had a very good chance based on my interview.

I felt like I did better for my English interview compared to the Philosophy one so I was quite surprised when Philosophy accepted me and not English. English was also ranked third while philo was fifth. And I read that the chances of two courses accepting me for the same uni will be zero so I guess English doesn't want me?

I'm interested in PPGA but like you said, it is at 3.63 and is more popular than Soci. And I'm not really interested in the other courses in HSS, so my only two choices are Soci and English. Based on what I said, which course do you think I should appeal to?

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
I'll give you some insider info on philosophy in NTU. Right now. Its really really new. The course took in its first batch last year. They barely have enough lecturers btw. There was barely enough lecturers last year when they were only teaching 1 batch. This August, they will be teaching 2 batches, the current batch and the ones enrolling this August. But they only managed to hire one new prof. Imagine what will happen just 2 years down the road when they have 4 full batches of students to teach AND have to supervise FYPs for the graduating batch.

This upcoming semester, the year 2s will only have 4 new philosophy modules to choose from.

Compare this to History, which is only 2-3 years older than Philosophy, but has 19 modules for their year 2s to choose from. There is no diversity in the modules offered. Either you take the module that they offer, or you pray and hope that they offer something better down the line.

It also means that there will be quite alot of competition for the very limited number of modules offered.

These are the cons of studying philosophy in NTU. Sad to say, I cant give any pros. There is no track record of employment but one can easily predict that its not going to be very high. So please, think it over a few times if you want to appeal to or accept the offer to philosophy.

Anyway thanks for this, this gave me reassurance that I'm doing the right thing to appeal out hahaha.

CHICGEEK

Reaction score
Hey! Thanks for replying :) Oh oops my bad haha. That's awesome btw, congrats!! :D

My portal didn't state anything about my status, so I'm a bit nervous and worried at the same time.. Hopefully I'll receive something from them soon especially since the portal is about to close :'( And no haha philo was my third choice but after doing some in depth research, philo seems like a great choice especially if you want to go into fields such as journalism/comms :) I understand what you mean though; during the interview I asked the profs about internship opportunites for philo students and he couldn't really give me a specific answer cos they only launched the course last year haha

No probs! :) hope you can get in!!

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Actually i went for the interview for English...the professor said that I had a very good chance based on my interview.

I felt like I did better for my English interview compared to the Philosophy one so I was quite surprised when Philosophy accepted me and not English. English was also ranked third while philo was fifth. And I read that the chances of two courses accepting me for the same uni will be zero so I guess English doesn't want me?

I'm interested in PPGA but like you said, it is at 3.63 and is more popular than Soci. And I'm not really interested in the other courses in HSS, so my only two choices are Soci and English. Based on what I said, which course do you think I should appeal to?

I think English. Considering the fact that you actually got to the interview stage for English means that you were really close. So you at least know that much. But for soci, you know nothing, were you close? Or were you far from getting accepted? The risk of choosing soci is higher than the risk of choosing English. The igp for English is also way lower than soci. If you like both courses equally, then I think English would be the less riskier option.

isabelxo

Reaction score

Same here! But I did not even go for any interviews yet...... :'(

alianagrande

Reaction score
Same here! But I did not even go for any interviews yet...... :'(

i may have already gotten my rejection, but when i called smu last week, they saif there are still many people who haven't gone for interview and most likely the interview will be like after 2 june.

nextsassyham

Reaction score
Appeal

Hi everyone

I was just rejected by both NTU and NUS :(

I have a GPA of 3.61 and olvl L1R5 of 11 and am considering to appeal for either NTU econs or socio. Will it be easier for me to enter if I choose NTU socio?

Also, for the appeal section, what should be included in my 250 words?

Thanks

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a GPA of 3.61 and olvl L1R5 of 11 and am considering to appeal for either NTU econs or socio. Will it be easier for me to enter if I choose NTU socio?

Thanks

250 words to say why you deserve to get into that course.
Anyway don't appeal for a course for the sake of getting in. Make sure that you really wanna study that major, else you will just suffer for 3 to 4 years without learning anything. And time/money are wasted thats all.

MoxLotus

Master Member
Reaction score

LOL what track record of employment. all arts degrees are the same to the employee. they are not gonna care if you are geog major or history major or philosophy major. to them, all they care is that you have finished a degree.

IloveMilo

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Thanks

Do the unis look at L1R5 or L1B4 for the UAS calculation I wonder?

Bonadaly

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Source :
http://wish.wis.ntu.edu.sg/webexe/owa/aus_subj_cont.main

NUS is better for Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.