Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

c1steady

Reaction score
Did u use the Smart DNS? Try the DN server closest to Singapore. I think there is one in Singapore itself and another one in HK. I am watching it from Amazon Fire TV and it works fine. Video quality is HD after a few seconds of loading.

I am using PC to watch amazon instant video thru unotelly. But I cannot get HD quality. Is there anyone able to get HD quality thru PC ?

c1steady

Reaction score
there is a separate thread on watching netflix.

if just for netflix,
i am using apple tv + unotelly dns. No vpn required. I use this almost everyday

if I need vpn, i am using cyberghost (promo). netflix and amazon instant video still ok.

Hi , are you able to watch amazon instant video in HD quality thru unotelly ?

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tired unotelly DNS servers, the best video quality I am getting with Amazon is 480p.
Are you guy able to achieve 720P ?

Im able to get HD streaming on Netflix but am unsure about the resolution in getting. I suspect it's either 720p or 1080p compressed.

Xanthos

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mind if I ask which server you use and what kinda speeds you're getting with TorGuard.?

torguard has a torrent socks5 proxy service. That is all you need unless you are extremely paranoid and wanna use a VPN on top of it.

I've been using torguard for 3 years now. Most of the time is just for the socks5 proxy. On the occasion when I need to use a VPN, it didn't hinder my speed at all. I'm still able to download at up to 20MB/s.

I even game with my VPN now. My normal latency to games i play are 5ms. With south east asian based VPN, it's 45ms. I can definitely live with that.

stiwipl

Reaction score
For anyone interested in VyprVPN, I have never seen any sales but I have just found something interesting. Apparently they were offering 25% discount on plans for chinese year and their link for this promotion is still valid here. Also through this link on their plans page, there is also a free 500MB account which is not listed normally. This seems to be a fully functional free account.

Although I am loyal Astrill customer, as I think it's the best VPN I have tried, I am looking for a solid backup and VyprVPN is trying hard to catch up. They have introduced their own router applet solution (like Astrill applet) and they have their own proprietary protocol Chameleon. I am definitely going to give them a try.

Glad I checked VyprVPN for free. What can I say, it's slow compared to Astrill. Such a pity, as I had high hopes for them.

idiots

Reaction score
New to this, using torguard sock5 proxy to climb for a couple of days. Do you guys combine it with peerblock & malwarebytes as well?

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I feel Astrill getting more horrible lately. Used to be able to stream Netflix at 10MB/s now only 4MB/s. Direct downloading from those premium sites also become slower. Every time I complain to tech support, they say there is no problem but you can feel the speeds getting crappier by the day.

Now back to using my backup PIA account, they are adding more servers and locations and BT anytime faster than Astrill even without port forwarding.

oric1

Reaction score
I feel Astrill getting more horrible lately. Used to be able to stream Netflix at 10MB/s now only 4MB/s. Direct downloading from those premium sites also become slower. Every time I complain to tech support, they say there is no problem but you can feel the speeds getting crappier by the day.

Now back to using my backup PIA account, they are adding more servers and locations and BT anytime faster than Astrill even without port forwarding.

BTW, how did you test the speed for Netflix streaming?

Thanks for the heads up, will keep PIA in mind in case I need to switch :)

Last edited:

stiwipl

Reaction score

It was a matter of time. If folks have 1-2 Gbps pipes from ISPs and are using VPN to overcome certain transfer speed restrictions by using popular VPN, then it obviously won't work great all the time. I am note sure what's Astrill total bandwidth capacity in SG but I am sure it's not cheap.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It was a matter of time. If folks have 1-2 Gbps pipes from ISPs and are using VPN to overcome certain transfer speed restrictions by using popular VPN, then it obviously won't work great all the time. I am note sure what's Astrill total bandwidth capacity in SG but I am sure it's not cheap.

Its not just their Singapore servers. Most of their EU and US servers are becoming horribly slow nowadays. And they keep changing their datacenters for their p2p locations, you can never keep up. One day very fast, the next damn slow. Cannot take it. They used to claim their speed is the fastest among VPN providers, but its not the case now.

When my sub is over I think I will not renew.

stiwipl

Reaction score
Its not just their Singapore servers. Most of their EU and US servers are becoming horribly slow nowadays. And they keep changing their datacenters for their p2p locations, you can never keep up. One day very fast, the next damn slow. Cannot take it. They used to claim their speed is the fastest among VPN providers, but its not the case now.

When my sub is over I think I will not renew.

If you know some faster and more speed consistent VPNs, please share. But based on my experience, others are not better and definitely not more consistent with their speeds. I had really big hopes for VyprVPN but every single server there seems to be capped around 20-30Mbps...

Some good read about VPN security of different VPN providers here.

phrozact

Reaction score
I'm currently subscribed to Astrill, Private Internet Access and TorGuard. In terms of speed Astrill by far gives me the fastest speeds, but even though they claim no Iogs are kept I still have my doubts. Between PIA and TorGuard I'm still trying to determine which go stick with. I've opened up a port with the TorGuard HK server and also trying to troubleshoot in connection with a PIA customer service rep but speeds are still disappointingly slow.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.