Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
am using the box now, netflix works however the grid game lag is noticeable... i play street fighter vs tekken lag like 1 sec.

FYI i am on myrepublic 1Gbps plan, use wifi lag connect LAN cable also lag which only 1 conclusion the grid server is located in the US which latency suffer.

Thanks bro. Bought it after reading your reply. Hope this can replace my Chromecast (for casting YouTube) and fire tv stick (for kodi n Netflix).

Strange that you're getting big latency for Grid, as some other users here is saying that the latency isn't noticeable.

Will post my feedback once I get mine!

Btw, anyone for problems with WiFi or Ethernet connection? Read Amazon reviews seems to be quite common problem...

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been playing around abit more.
Doom plays amazing on the Shield. Was playing it for hours and the gfx and sound were top notch.

For the grid, apparently it improved. Maybe I got used to it (latency) but I started to pull of super moves easily on Street Fighter. Before that I was noticing some slight lag but not now.

For Netflix, what is the way to view and open account? Noob here on vpn and those sorts so pls advise.

Gamestream started to work now but laggy. Will optimise.

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been playing around abit more.
Doom plays amazing on the Shield. Was playing it for hours and the gfx and sound were top notch.

For the grid, apparently it improved. Maybe I got used to it (latency) but I started to pull of super moves easily on Street Fighter. Before that I was noticing some slight lag but not now.

For Netflix, what is the way to view and open account? Noob here on vpn and those sorts so pls advise.

Gamestream started to work now but laggy. Will optimise.

And my kid is so happy able to cast his youtube easily ontop the TV.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
For Netflix, what is the way to view and open account?

Download "Hola Free VPN" app (android/ios) then turn on the unblocker. If hola is working, you should be able to access Netflix.com now. Sign up the free 1 month account. You just need to put in any US accOunt (use Google maps search for any address postcode) then fill in your credit card details using the us postcode.

Once you successfully created the account, you can also use hola on your shield tv as vpn (if you're on myrepublic dun need vpn)

Then just go download a Netflix apk from external sources (because getting Netflix from Google play store is another troublesome journey)

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Download "Hola Free VPN" app (android/ios) then turn on the unblocker. If hola is working, you should be able to access Netflix.com now. Sign up the free 1 month account. You just need to put in any US accOunt (use Google maps search for any address postcode) then fill in your credit card details using the us postcode.

Once you successfully created the account, you can also use hola on your shield tv as vpn (if you're on myrepublic dun need vpn)

Then just go download a Netflix apk from external sources (because getting Netflix from Google play store is another troublesome journey)

OK got it. Installed netflix on my s6 edge first. Why resolution is so low? Using Hola.

Also anyway to get this to work on ios devices?

I will try on the Shield later.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
OK got it. Installed netflix on my s6 edge first. Why resolution is so low? Using Hola.

Also anyway to get this to work on ios devices?

I will try on the Shield later.

Using hola, your internet speed is reduced significantly, hence the low res stream, since hola is free vpn.

If you use Netflix on shield tv with Ethernet, it should be a lot better. Best of course, is to use myrepublic coz they have free vpn (teleport)

Hola is also available on Apple app store. Also on desktop as chrome extension.

Last edited:

porcu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Gonna try subscribe vpn like Spotflux and see.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Waiting for Black Friday sale...hopefully they will bundle in the wireless remote for the same price.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
Waiting for Black Friday sale...hopefully they will bundle in the wireless remote for the same price.

Don't wait too long though, if the speculation about the power supply having SGsafety sticker is true, once there's a Singapore distributor, Amazon will stop shipping to SG for this product.

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't wait too long though, if the speculation about the power supply having SGsafety sticker is true, once there's a Singapore distributor, Amazon will stop shipping to SG for this product.

I can wait, currently no 4k tv and i have a laptop hooked up to the living room tv anyway.

If the shield tv can confirm use for Skype with webcam, I can remove the laptop from the living room.

audiophiliac

Reaction score
I can wait, currently no 4k tv and i have a laptop hooked up to the living room tv anyway.

If the shield tv can confirm use for Skype with webcam, I can remove the laptop from the living room.

Taken from the FAQ

WHICH WEBCAMS ARE SUPPORTED BY SHIELD?

SHIELD supports webcams that have Android TV support. Logitech’s family of webcams offer this support today.

Here's a video of someone getting a webcam to work with the Shield Android TV (SATV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jUtxlFQwcQ

Another one with Skype running.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuW7PueI0kA

Last edited:

audiophiliac

Reaction score
the $30 credit only applies to US address. i didn't get it.

I wrote to Amazon customer support, and mentioned that I'm a US resident working in Singapore, and I'd like to still receive the $30 code. Because they can't give me the promo code for Google Play Credit, Amazon gave me $30 amazon credit instead. :s12::D

guile

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Taken from the FAQ

WHICH WEBCAMS ARE SUPPORTED BY SHIELD?

SHIELD supports webcams that have Android TV support. Logitech’s family of webcams offer this support today.

Here's a video of someone getting a webcam to work with the Shield Android TV (SATV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jUtxlFQwcQ

Thank, but would also like to see how well Skype works with it. Lags, mic working, distortion etc

radioshack

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I wrote to Amazon customer support, and mentioned that I'm a US resident working in Singapore, and I'd like to still receive the $30 code. Because they can't give me the promo code for Google Play Credit, Amazon gave me $30 amazon credit instead. :s12::D

Got email template bo?:D

audiophiliac

Reaction score
update: Nevermind, found the fix. Hard reboot the SATV and it was working.

I'm having an issue with casting YouTube from phone (WiFi) to SATV (Ethernet) can anyone help me?

1. SATV (v1.3) is on ethernet, phone casting youtube via wifi.
2. On my phone , I can see "Shield" as a device to cast to.
3. Once I select "shield" to cast to, youtube app on the phone just shows "connecting" and after awhile, the phone's app goes back to video selection, and nothing has been cast to SATV.

Casting from phone works perfectly when I use Wifi on SATV network.

Can you guide me how to check if my ethernet is on the same subnet as my wifi network?

How do I set the "pass through" ?

I'm using ASUS AC-RT87U with Merlin firmware. I'm also a complete network noob. I would really appreciate a step-by-step guide on setting up the Ethernet / Wifi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.