Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
Bros
Need some advice on air-cons:

Some of my units are noisy now, and one is not really cold.

I used Mitsubishi units for my mum's home, but the units are pretty big, so I can't use them in my living room where the L-coves are. There just isn't enough space. I may have to unit Daikin for those units.
However the two units in my living room share different compressors:
One unit and the one in my study share one compressor, the second share it with the second bedroom.

So my question is:
Can I use different head units
eg Daikin units with Mits compressors

OR re-direct the piping so that the two units in the living room share one compressor, then I use Mits units in the other rooms?

Thanks

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Bros

I used Mitsubishi units for my mum's home, but the units are pretty big, so I can't use them in my living room where the L-coves are. There just isn't enough space. I may have to unit Daikin for those units.
One unit and the one in my study share one compressor, the second share it with the second bedroom.

So my question is:

OR re-direct the piping so that the two units in the living room share one compressor, then I use Mits units in the other rooms?

Thanks

Non inverter still can use them, but just the copper size was diff, only.

STREAM2

Reaction score
Dear Air con guru,

Please advise for as below is there can i use MX3A28VaR7 / MSYGE10VAR2x3 is there sufficient of cooling capacity for master room?

Master room : Length : 5500 x 3100
Room 2 : 3500 x 3750
Room 3 : 3400 x 3750

Thanks.

At AireControl website, the general calculation is convert yr floor area to sqft and multiply by 65 to give the BTU requirements.

For example, yr Rm2 is 13.124 sqm = 141.3 sqft.
Rm2 requirement is 141.3 X 65 = 9,184 btu (GE10 is fine).
Don't forget, you hv bed, wardrobe, bookshelf thus no need to over estimate.
============================

zerglim

Reaction score
Hi to all the bros, just to share my bad experience with GC. Recently did servicing for one of my master bed room unit for chemical wash. As the chemical wash require to dismantle the whole fancoil. To my surprise, GC did not wrap the drainage pipe for me and causing condensation and dripping. I start to ask around and was told by right all the aircon installer will wrap the pvc pipe, that is a norm, so i decided to give GC a call. To my surprise again and you won't believe what the customer service had told me, the hotline operator said normally they don't wrap the pvc pipe and that should be my problem. She told me if I need wrap the drain pipe, there will be a charges. I told her I refuse to pay and insist on asking her to send someone down to fix this issue. To my another surprise and you won't believe what she had told me, "You should dismantle the whole system 3 trunking to check before you move into your new house".
I can tell you, whatever they promise in the paper eg, extended warranty, installation warranty is not real. Before purchase they told me everything cover. After issue happen, this never cover that never cover. Please beware of GC.

1625kzb.jpg

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi to all the bros, just to share my bad experience with GC. Recently did servicing for one of my master bed room unit for chemical wash. As the chemical wash require to dismantle the whole fancoil. To my surprise, GC did not wrap the drainage pipe for me and causing condensation and dripping. I start to ask around and was told by right all the aircon installer will wrap the pvc pipe, that is a norm, so i decided to give GC a call. To my surprise again and you won't believe what the customer service had told me, the hotline operator said normally they don't wrap the pvc pipe and that should be my problem. She told me if I need wrap the drain pipe, there will be a charges. I told her I refuse to pay and insist on asking her to send someone down to fix this issue. To my another surprise and you won't believe what she had told me, "You should dismantle the whole system 3 trunking to check before you move into your new house".
I can tell you, whatever they promise in the paper eg, extended warranty, installation warranty is not real. Before purchase they told me everything cover. After issue happen, this never cover that never cover. Please beware of GC.

1625kzb.jpg

Installed recently or few years ago?

petersonjack

Reaction score
AJ Aircon Talk cock one! Make customer use aircon on 3Core cables saying that the aircon no need to earth? What bird bird they talking!
Installation manual also says signal cable must be the 4th cable leh..

MUST AVOID!

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
AJ Aircon Talk cock one! Make customer use aircon on 3Core cables saying that the aircon no need to earth? What bird bird they talking!
Installation manual also says signal cable must be the 4th cable leh..

MUST AVOID!

What is your brand so far wanna be using 4 wires?

terumo

Reaction score
To petersonjack,

The copper piping is the earth element.
There is a earth wire from the pcb to the copper coil and the earth function is by using the copper pipes to function as the earth wiring.

maxicoolservices

Suspended
Reaction score
Hello petetherock,

Refer to reply in Blue

So my question is:

Ans: If your system is non inverter then yes this is possible. Otherwise if inverter system then this cannot be done.

Ans: Yes to re-direct the piping is possible so that both living room units share 1 condenser and you can relocate the Mitsubishi units in your mum's house for your bedroom 2 and study. However other then size of the indoor fancoils, do also take note of the BTU requirements.

You might want to consider the cost to relocate the Mitsubishi units and also re-direct the pipings. If the units are aging then they might not be able to withstand the relocation process. The contractor that you engage should be able to assess and advice accordingly.

You might want to determine the cause of the noise and loss of cooling for your currents units. Are they aging/beyond/not cost effective to repair or would some clean and minor repair fix up the units?

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

Bros

So my question is:

Thanks

raysusan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi aircon guru
I am looking for a single spilt to replace the old Sanyo . I also need to do some main socket rerun.
Any dealer to recommend? ?

petetherock

Reaction score
Thanks Jason
All three compressors of my current Toshiba system (for 5 units) are located in the same place, which is why I thought of changing how the pipes flow?
So one compressor for the MBR, one for the living room, and the other serves the 2nd bedroom and study.
Right now one compresors works for the living + study, another for the bedroom + living and the third for the MBR.
Since the condo is about 7 years ago, I figure that it's worth considering a change..
The MBR unit works, a little noisy, but servicable. The man who cleans my aircon had to come and top up the gas as there was a leak in one unit, so I am thinking hard about changing.
Will 5 units, 3 compressors cost around 5k for a Daikin system or less?
Thanks
Hello petetherock,

Refer to reply in Blue

So my question is:

Ans: If your system is non inverter then yes this is possible. Otherwise if inverter system then this cannot be done.

Ans: Yes to re-direct the piping is possible so that both living room units share 1 condenser and you can relocate the Mitsubishi units in your mum's house for your bedroom 2 and study. However other then size of the indoor fancoils, do also take note of the BTU requirements.

You might want to consider the cost to relocate the Mitsubishi units and also re-direct the pipings. If the units are aging then they might not be able to withstand the relocation process. The contractor that you engage should be able to assess and advice accordingly.

You might want to determine the cause of the noise and loss of cooling for your currents units. Are they aging/beyond/not cost effective to repair or would some clean and minor repair fix up the units?

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

winguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

maxicoolservices

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi petetherock,

Chances of getting a Daikin 5 units and 3 compressors for under 5K is not high. Especially since yours is a condo whereby pipings are concealed and hacking job necessary?

Might want to ask your regular aircon guy to provide you with a quote on the installation for your consideration. Based on usage, might want to consider working out the BTU and instead go with a System 3 + System 2? 1 lesser condenser to maintain.

Alternatively, if the rest of the units are working fine and you are able to put up with the noise at the MBR, to trace the source of leak and monitor how long a topup can last. If each topup can last for 6 months of more then to consider to continue using all 3 systems until it gives way then to go for a major change of all units.

Best Regards,

Jason Tham

Thanks Jason
All three compressors of my current Toshiba system (for 5 units) are located in the same place, which is why I thought of changing how the pipes flow?
So one compressor for the MBR, one for the living room, and the other serves the 2nd bedroom and study.
Right now one compresors works for the living + study, another for the bedroom + living and the third for the MBR.
Since the condo is about 7 years ago, I figure that it's worth considering a change..
The MBR unit works, a little noisy, but servicable. The man who cleans my aircon had to come and top up the gas as there was a leak in one unit, so I am thinking hard about changing.
Will 5 units, 3 compressors cost around 5k for a Daikin system or less?
Thanks

petetherock

Reaction score
Thanks Jason
I have no feel on prices, and above 5k is ok too if that's what it takes.
I may do the whole thing at once when the MBR unit breaks down..
I don't think I need to re-do the internal piping.. that seems to be in good shape :)
Just make use of existing pipes and swop out the compressor..
That's why I wanted to know if I can swop how the pipes are connected...
From my estimate, a 12k BTU will suffice for the bedroom, and 9 or 12k units in all the other places too.
The main issue is fitting the head units into the slot in the false ceiling...

SL1975

Reaction score
Aircon Installer- to recommend

Hi there,

i am trying to get a 4 to 5 NEA ticks system 4. 3x10k btu + 1x24kbtu.
almost gone with Courts but to discovered that the online price is $500 cheaper than Megastore price.

anyone has a good installer to recommend?

thank you.

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Thanks Jason
I have no feel on prices, and above 5k is ok too if that's what it takes.
I may do the whole thing at once when the MBR unit breaks down..
I don't think I need to re-do the internal piping.. that seems to be in good shape :)
Just make use of existing pipes and swop out the compressor..
That's why I wanted to know if I can swop how the pipes are connected...
From my estimate, a 12k BTU will suffice for the bedroom, and 9 or 12k units in all the other places too.
The main issue is fitting the head units into the slot in the false ceiling...

Before re-use an existing copper pipes should do with pressure test before you reconsider want to hack off and re-runs new pipes or just re-use the existing one.. :D

Md_chen

Reaction score
Hi LittleBB,

I am also into replacing my old mit non-inverted air con. I have been looking around and I found a quote for a Mit Starmex system 3 for S$2800 including replacing the old piping from STL Air Conditioning. Check out their web site. They provide a link to "BCA Academy of the Built Environment" which contain a list of all qualified air con installers. Impressive, eh!! The Mit starmex has got 2 ticks rating for energy efficiency. I also check out on Dakin Inverter Multi-Split System 3 (R410A) which has a 3 ticks rating which translates to a annual energy cost of S$643 as compare to Mit Starmex of S$1060. Quoted for S$2680.

I am thinking of buying Dakin based of energy rating. Any kind soul out there can give comment whether it is a good choice?? TIA.

Hi,
Can you share where you get the quote of $2800? I am also looking for replacing my old ac by Starmex.
Thanks

tengg

Reaction score
Hi,

Would like to have some sound advice. I am looking for a 4 system aircon. I was quoted the following from GC.

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries / 4-Systems / 30,000 BTU - $4229
Upgrade fan coil piping (insulator + copper piping) -$240
Extended warranty (1 + 4 yrs) - $499

Question 1: Is the fan coil piping upgrade necessary? The upgrade involve changing the insulator thickness from the standard 10mm to 13mm as well as copper pipe from the standard G23 to G22. Any problem with using the standard sizes?

Question 2: According to the salesman, the extended warranty will cover the main board replacement. Without it, it costs $800+ to replace the main board if it does get faulty. Anyone has their main board fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.