Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurasky

Reaction score
sigma vs keystone

hi anyone who can help me answer... is there any different btwn sigma and keystone wires? thanks!

Nanonited

Master Member
Reaction score
any risk of getting it from the smaller players such as parisilk, allbest, goh ah bee etc as compared to best denki etc?

Would just like to know if the installation warranty is valid if i hire a air con contractor directly? Am afraid that the person might not want to follow up or the smaller shops may not want to honour the installation warranty/ parts warranty.

raysusan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any risk of getting it from the smaller players such as parisilk, allbest, goh ah bee etc as compared to best denki etc?

Would just like to know if the installation warranty is valid if i hire a air con contractor directly? Am afraid that the person might not want to follow up or the smaller shops may not want to honour the installation warranty/ parts warranty.
This is part of reason I ended up buying from gain city. Today is the installation day. Keep my finger cross

kimsim

Suspended
Reaction score
Quite surprising we more often at home by this month, cause due to outdoor haze.
We had adjusted current limitation for 11A of our ME starmex Sys 3, so far the utilities bill never increased, just slightly decrease a bit, also noted that last month we more often not around for weekend.

That meant higher capacity of cooling will be reaching faster and achieved the pre-set of temperature for cut off power consumption to be remain for part load and saving much.

09E8E4AC-3D42-43FC-8E15-AB46883B961C_zps6mpwmvkb.jpg
[/QUOTe

Nice to hear that... hope in coming month the electricity consumption will stay that way....

Ya will update when receive the latest bill.

wishxtreme

Reaction score
Have some comparison here for ME new Starmex 5 ticks
CURRENT MODELS

2E20VA - 5.27KW = 17,986BTU - 6.9kw/8hrs usage per days
2G20VA - 4.83KW = 16,480BTU - 5.03kw
(Different less than 1k BTU = Still ok)

3A28VA - 7.31KW = 24,941BTU - 10.9kw
3G28VA - 6.12KW = 20,881BTU - 6.38kw
(Different less than 4k BTU = Consider alot)

4V28VA - 7.52KW = 25,658BTU - 11.02kw
4G28VA - 6.60KW = 22,510BTU - 6.69kw
(Different less than 3k BTU = Still ok)

4V38VA - 9.01KW = 31,049BTU - 12.67kw
4G38VA - 7.50KW = 25,590BTU - 7.79kw
(Different less than 6k BTU = Too much)

Conclusion :
Higher BTU = greater cooling.

Is this 100% true about the new 5 ticks model compared to the old model on the BTU output.

COnsidering if you on 2 unit of 8000BTU for 5 to 6 hours a day or 1 unit of 22k BTU and 8K btu on weekends.

Which is better? Sorry i am still a newbie in aircon..

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quite surprising we more often at home by this month, cause due to outdoor haze.
We had adjusted current limitation for 11A of our ME starmex Sys 3, so far the utilities bill never increased, just slightly decrease a bit, also noted that last month we more often not around for weekend.

That meant higher capacity of cooling will be reaching faster and achieved the pre-set of temperature for cut off power consumption to be remain for part load and saving much.

09E8E4AC-3D42-43FC-8E15-AB46883B961C_zps6mpwmvkb.jpg
[/QUOTe

Nice to hear that... hope in coming month the electricity consumption will stay that way....

hey..you are not getting the exact bill lah..this is estimated based on past usage...next month you might see the big jump....

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi experts, I am looking to change my current system 4. Aircon contractors like Gain City will know how to dismantle the aircons and pipes and install new pipes, etc, right? Part of the piping run below the wall cupboards.

Reaction score
Hi experts, I am looking to change my current system 4. Aircon contractors like Gain City will know how to dismantle the aircons and pipes and install new pipes, etc, right? Part of the piping run below the wall cupboards.

As a contractor, i'll go over to take a look first before giving any definite answer. Knowing how to do it is one thing. is it doable or not is another. During site viewings, owner and contractor can also discuss and explore for other options which might be even better :s13:

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
HDB floor plan quite standard..if contractor is experience enough, see floor plan can already.

unless you are staying in private...or your flat have already undergone massive change.

wangzhe5

Reaction score
Daikin aircon for > 10 years. Now sometimes cannot turn off aircon by remoter controller. Sometimes no cool air while sometimes it is very cold. Think the motherboard is spoiled. Any suggestion whether to repair the aircon or buy a new one? Thanks.

segafan

Reaction score
Hey bros..

Had my first air con serviced for my LG aircon. Can't remember which model but it's made in Korea and bought from Courts last year (System 3).

Anyway, when the service guys came over, they only brushed, vacuumed and washed the filters/ internals. No oiling or gas top up like I saw when I was a kid more than a decade back..

Aircon feels cleaner and stronger but not cooler. There is also weird rusty sound on the flaps coz I know they didn't oil it?

Questions:
- usually what to expect for air con service ah? The receipt says 'maintenance' but it is just cleaning, and it costs $105. They didn't even touched the compressor..
- what sort of maintenance must be done periodically or ask from the service company? If air con 'service' is only cleaning, not worth the price leh.. I also know how to wash the filter. And after closely observing at them dismantling the casing, I now also know where to clean deeper.

Anyone can share their advice and experience? Really noob at this... Coz the aircon fellas who cleaned my aircon say need minimum 2x servicing a year, ideally 4x a year. I not sure what sort of services really required... Needa consult with you all before I tio chop lol..

Many many thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Daikin aircon for > 10 years. Now sometimes cannot turn off aircon by remoter controller. Sometimes no cool air while sometimes it is very cold. Think the motherboard is spoiled. Any suggestion whether to repair the aircon or buy a new one? Thanks.

Hi Wangzhe5, are you using the Daikin Non-Inverter (MA56EV1)?

Based on your descriptions, following are the diagnosed details of your faulty issues;

1) "Now sometimes cannot turn off aircon by remoter controller."

Should be indoor sensor faulty. Most frequent cause of faulty indoor sensor is caused by sensor getting in contact with water during servicing. You can try blowing it with a hair dryer for 2-3 mins and monitor if it gets better. If it does, great! If it doesn't, you will need to get a aircon technician to check on it and have it changed if necessary.

2) "Sometimes no cool air while sometimes it is very cold."

Most frequent cause of this issue is outdoor solenoid valve malfunction. You will need to get a technician to check and have it changed.

Due to your aircon's old age, we'll recommend you to change a new set once and for all. Better to pay once and get a new set than to keep paying for repairs cos other problems are bound to surface from time to time for old aircon systems (especially for old systems of more than 10 years). All these repairs added up will eventually be more expensive and time consuming ;)

Reaction score
Hey bros..

Had my first air con serviced for my LG aircon. Can't remember which model but it's made in Korea and bought from Courts last year (System 3).

Anyway, when the service guys came over, they only brushed, vacuumed and washed the filters/ internals. No oiling or gas top up like I saw when I was a kid more than a decade back..

Aircon feels cleaner and stronger but not cooler. There is also weird rusty sound on the flaps coz I know they didn't oil it?

Questions:
- usually what to expect for air con service ah? The receipt says 'maintenance' but it is just cleaning, and it costs $105. They didn't even touched the compressor..
- what sort of maintenance must be done periodically or ask from the service company? If air con 'service' is only cleaning, not worth the price leh.. I also know how to wash the filter. And after closely observing at them dismantling the casing, I now also know where to clean deeper.

Anyone can share their advice and experience? Really noob at this... Coz the aircon fellas who cleaned my aircon say need minimum 2x servicing a year, ideally 4x a year. I not sure what sort of services really required... Needa consult with you all before I tio chop lol..

Many many thanks in advance!!

Hi Segafan,

Hope this can help and solve your queries;

WHY SHOULD OUR AIRCON BE SERVICE ON A REGULAR BASIS?

1. SAVE ON YOUR POWER BILL

Servicing a dirty aircon can save you up to 30% power usage for that unit. A dirty coil means the unit has to work harder to cool the air because there is much “less clean” surface area for the hot air to pass over. If the blower fan (drum) is covered in dirt and grime – air velocity decreases dramatically and so you are tempted to turn up the fan speed and turn down the temperature in order to cool the room down. This of course is going to use more power! CLEAN AIRCONS MEANS LESSER POWER USAGE AND COOLER AIR!

2. MICROBIAL CONTAMINATION

The second reason is especially significant to allergy suffers, children and the sicks. All aircons, after regular usage, become infected with “microbial contamination” – This contamination includes fungi, mold and bacteria. Aircons are the perfect environment for such contaminants and of course, become constantly airborne every time you switch your air conditioner on. Mold combined with humidity can be a potent mix!!! CLEAN AIRCONS MEANS VIRTUAL ERADICATION OF MICROBIAL CONTAMINATION AND CLEANER AIR!

3. YOUR AIR CONDITIONER WILL LAST LONGER

This is your contribution to the environment. It’s called SUSTAINABILITY! A regularly serviced air conditioner will last a lot longer than one that never gets serviced. The only reason you wouldn't service it, is if you never used it!! In summary –consumers are generally not made aware of the above and so are under the belief that cleaning you filters is enough. Cleaning your filters is “simple maintenance”. After regular usage the whole head unit also needs to be “correctly" serviced.

OUR NORMAL SERVICE INCLUDES;
- System examination and cleaning of fancoils
- Check, clean and wash fancoil’s air filter
- Check and clean cooling coil, water tray and blower
- Check suction/discharge pressure of the compressor(s)
- Check on seals and joints of pipe for leakage, repair if necessary (chargeable)
- Check on bolts and nuts for tightness and corrosion
- Check all safety circuits and test run aircon units after each servicing and repair work
- Inspect equipment for refrigerant gas leak

There is standard procedures and steps to follow for aircon servicing. Eg, how to remove and re-install aircon cover and parts (if necessary), how to prevent electricity and refrigerant gas leak during servicing. If it's done wrongly, it may spoil the aircon or aircon parts which will cost more for repair eventually. And also, stronger wet and dry industrial vacuum cleaners are needed to vacuum deeper into the aircon fins and parts for a thorough service. Normal household vacuum cleaners are not strong enough to vacuum out the dirts that deep within. With the stronger wet and dry industrial vacuum cleaner, it can also vacuum the water pipes to prevent cloggage.

Your relatively new aircon system that was just installed last year should not require any oiling or refrigerant gas top-up. Aircon servicing frequency depends on your usage and age of aircon. Normal service twice a year should be good enough for now, increasing the frequency gradually as the years goes by. Normal service x 3-4 times yearly or chemical overhaul x 1 time + normal service 2-3 times yearly will be recommended in future.

For more details, you may want to read up the FAQ post on our Facebook page @ https://www.facebook.com/coolingairconservices/posts/453045621471211 ;)

Feel free to contact us if you have any other enquiries! Cheers!

chomechome

Reaction score
Currently i am using mitsubishi starmex system 3. May i know how long it takes to reach the preconfigured temperature eg 24 degree for common room? i have waited more than 30mins but still seeing two indicators light on. Standard 5 rooms flat.

Kevin10

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

As soon I will be getting my keys for my BTO, Please advise if what I am looking for is correct:

Mitsubishi Starmex Sys 3 - 1(Living Room) 2(Bedrooms)

1(Living Room) - 24k Btu (As I will be hacking off my kitchen wall)
2(Bedrooms) - 9k Btu

Together with:
1.1/2" thick Armaflex Class 1 Insulation
2. SWG 23 Copper Pipe (0.61mm thickness)
3. 16mm diameter drainage pipe

Please advise if I have missed out anything ? Thanks.

danngoaidao

Reaction score
Hi experts,
Can advise me if this package worth it:
Mitsubishi electric system 2 9000btu +18000btu , condenser is 28000btu
Model: MXY-3A28VA / MSY- GE10VA
2 ticks $2750.00
standard material: Drainage pipe 16mm/ Insulation 1/2"
Wire - keystone
Copper pipe : hitachi 23 grade
18 month installation warranty
standard 5 year warranty by agent
Discount rate for maintainence and cleaning
2 trips installation

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Daikin and Mitsubishi seems to be on par? Which is the slightly better between these 2? Any Japan made ones?

skai_11

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi experts!

Please advice me on the best configuration: 4 Room BTO, 1 Living room, 1 common bedroom, 1 MBR+walk-in-wardrobe(common room but walls are hacked to combine MBR together)

Should i use:
system 3(1xlivingroom, 1x common room, 1xMBR) or
system 4(1xlivingroom, 1x common room, 1xMBR, 1xWIW)

and the BTU required?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.