Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

salmonella

Reaction score

localITguy

Suspended
Reaction score
i use PIA, i find them good because they do not collect your details like address.etc just ur email and payment.

speeds are fast enough

stiwipl

Reaction score
My Astrill subscription ending soon, my experience is good so far shall I renew or ppl are moving away to other better alternatives?

If renewing astrill is there any ongoing promo code or I should wait for Black Friday.

Sent from LGE LG-D855 using GAGT

There is nothing better than Astrill in my experience in terms of speed consistency and solutions offered (applet, OpenWEB, StealthVPN). Their 2 year plan is very good value in my opinion including free compact travel router. No discount code I am afraid.

oric1

Reaction score
My Astrill subscription ending soon, my experience is good so far shall I renew or ppl are moving away to other better alternatives?

If renewing astrill is there any ongoing promo code or I should wait for Black Friday.

Sent from LGE LG-D855 using GAGT

There is nothing better than Astrill in my experience in terms of speed consistency and solutions offered (applet, OpenWEB, StealthVPN). Their 2 year plan is very good value in my opinion including free compact travel router. No discount code I am afraid.

I checked their website, didn't see any 2-year plan, only 1-year.

Yes, I totally agreed the 2-year plan is really value for money. I always waited for their Black Friday or Cyber Monday promo.

I saved quite a lot when I signed up for the 2-year instead of 1-year plan during their Black Friday promo in Nov last year. They bundled together with StealthVPN, RouterPro VPN & connect 2 devices concurrently.

This year Black Friday is on 27 Nov and Cyber Monday on 30 Nov.

Nature_call

Reaction score

Yes, I totally agreed the 2-year plan is really value for money. I always waited for their Black Friday or Cyber Monday promo.

I saved quite a lot when I signed up for the 2-year instead of 1-year plan during their Black Friday promo in Nov last year. They bundled together with StealthVPN, RouterPro VPN & connect 2 devices concurrently.

Thanks for sharing ! Any comments which deal is better between black friday and cyber mon?

Sent from Samsung SM-T705 using GAGT

oric1

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing ! Any comments which deal is better between black friday and cyber mon?

Sent from Samsung SM-T705 using GAGT

Difficult to say. I remembered in 2013, they do not have any promo for the 1-year plan, only for 2-year plan and VPN router. If you're not in the hurry, best to wait till end Nov to see what they offer, if you don't like it then look for other VPN.

Paranoia08

Reaction score
Bros... My Astrill is ending soon and I'm thinking for a change.
Astrill China servers are quite slow, but their other servers are indeed speedy!

Can recommend me 1 that can allows me to access China geo-locked video content(eg. Youku, iQiyi, etc..) and with reasonable speed? With astrill China server, it will lag or freeze....

So far I have only shortlisted Torguard, but some of the bros were kind enough to help me test their China servers and told me that it is darn slow..

Thank you so much in advance!

stiwipl

Reaction score

No need to wait for Black Friday. They have 2 year plan available here.

On a side note, I would not expect folks to share their VPN finds here anymore. With a rapid development of internet in Singapore and fiber connections rolled out over the island, everyone has got an access to a rapid fast connections. It does not surprise me that someone is disappointed with Astrill, which has been popular choice here.

When I had VQ 150/75, I could max out Astrill Singapore 1 (USA) easily. When QV bumped everyone to 200/100 I could still max it out. Then it was 300/300 and I could still max out the download speed at least.

I am not in Singapore anymore but a quick look on VQ website shows that for the same price everyone gets 1Gbps / 500Mbps. So we are talking about 2 years period since 150/75 became 1000/500.

I am not surprised that Astrill or any other VPN for that matter is unable to keep up with such rapid speed development. This is one issue. Another issue is that bandwidth in Singapore is expensive and being connected to their SG servers, you essentially make them pay for international traffic and not your ISP.

oric1

Reaction score
No need to wait for Black Friday. They have 2 year plan available here.

On a side note, I would not expect folks to share their VPN finds here anymore. With a rapid development of internet in Singapore and fiber connections rolled out over the island, everyone has got an access to a rapid fast connections. It does not surprise me that someone is disappointed with Astrill, which has been popular choice here.

When I had VQ 150/75, I could max out Astrill Singapore 1 (USA) easily. When QV bumped everyone to 200/100 I could still max it out. Then it was 300/300 and I could still max out the download speed at least.

I am not in Singapore anymore but a quick look on VQ website shows that for the same price everyone gets 1Gbps / 500Mbps. So we are talking about 2 years period since 150/75 became 1000/500.

I am not surprised that Astrill or any other VPN for that matter is unable to keep up with such rapid speed development. This is one issue. Another issue is that bandwidth in Singapore is expensive and being connected to their SG servers, you essentially make them pay for international traffic and not your ISP.

My bad, I didn't went into that page. Anyway, they bundled the 2-year plan with a TP-Link WR703N router and ProAddon for USD125.99. I got mine for USD99.95 with the ProAddon minus the TP-Link router since I can easily add the Astrill Applet on my ASUS router for free :)

Ok, other than their China servers which is freaking slow now, I'm still very happy with the speed of the other servers. No problem streaming Netflix in HD anytime of the day.

stiwipl

Reaction score
My bad, I didn't went into that page. Anyway, they bundled the 2-year plan with a TP-Link WR703N router and ProAddon for USD125.99. I got mine for USD99.95 with the ProAddon minus the TP-Link router since I can easily add the Astrill Applet on my ASUS router for free :)

Ok, other than their China servers which is freaking slow now, I'm still very happy with the speed of the other servers. No problem streaming Netflix in HD anytime of the day.

Great price your paid indeed. Somehow in August 2014 I paid for the same US$149.99. But I don't mind since it is worth it. I think they have a mistake in their pricing, because 2year plan comes up at US$5.25 per month (total US$125.99) instead of US$6.25 (total US$149.99) that I paid and that is showing on their website.

oric1

Reaction score
Great price your paid indeed. Somehow in August 2014 I paid for the same US$149.99. But I don't mind since it is worth it. I think they have a mistake in their pricing, because 2year plan comes up at US$5.25 per month (total US$125.99) instead of US$6.25 (total US$149.99) that I paid and that is showing on their website.

That USD6.25 includes StealthVPN for PC/Mac/Linux (USD2/mth) but you can choose to opt-out which works out to be USD5.25/mth.

negativzero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If you got the 2 year plan it should have come with the router.
I paid $89 for mine and it came with StealthVPN, RouterPRO AND the mini router.

oric1

Reaction score
If you got the 2 year plan it should have come with the router.
I paid $89 for mine and it came with StealthVPN, RouterPRO AND the mini router.

Oops, so I didn't get a good deal after all.. haha.. Just curious when did you renewed your 2-year plan?

salmonella

Reaction score
I get the feeling that astrill tries to nickel and dime you for things which ought to be included. Nat firewall? Vpn sharing? Cryptoplus theater?

For their asking price, it seems to me that you could set up a vps, run the vpn, use as many connections as you want, use it as a seed box,and do out in more than one location.

By the way, when you run the vpn on your router, do you add firewall rules to prevent the vpn provider from connecting to your internal network?

stiwipl

Reaction score
I get the feeling that astrill tries to nickel and dime you for things which ought to be included. Nat firewall? Vpn sharing? Cryptoplus theater?

For their asking price, it seems to me that you could set up a vps, run the vpn, use as many connections as you want, use it as a seed box,and do out in more than one location.

By the way, when you run the vpn on your router, do you add firewall rules to prevent the vpn provider from connecting to your internal network?

This is the way many people see it like that - paid addons. But again I have not seen any other VPN provider with such a well developed apps which features work cross platforms. You do not need these addons that you have mentioned. Astrill applet is also free, what you have to pay for is RouterPRO protocol which I find a good value in, because I can get 2x speeds of normal OpenVPN on the router and I can easily stream Netflix 4k...

You can do your own VPS I am sure, but then you will miss many great features. I also believe their connections are well optimized, something that you might be unable to achieve even on the same server running your own OpenVPN. Also what about the convenience of switching servers / countries? You would need to get few different VPS to achieve the same.

kira86

Master Member
Reaction score
For me i just get a dedicated server. Set it up and i can do whatever i need and its fast 1g up n down .
But agree on the different locations point

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.