Standard Chartered - Only Online Trading in town with no minimum commission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Scb can short? :s11:

Nope. But if you sell something you don't have, it's short-selling. Think it's illegal too.

SCB auto-reject selling share that you don't have but if the 2 instruction were given before anything is sold, I don't if the other order will be auto-cancelled upon 1 order going through.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
It is held under a different company..
nominee

But they can still take your shares to lend out to shortist or Cfd or vote again the owner interest though

Basically they can do anything with it except sell and keep the money for themselves

fr3ezeee

Reaction score
Hi im a new man in stock investing. And im kinda looking into US market.

After reading for a few days in this thread, it happens that SCB and IB is the best brokerage we can choose from.
However as a small investor, who invest less than $1000 and total fund not exceeding $100k, SCB will be my main choice.

And despite of all the obvious advantages like no min comm and low fee, the main drawback of SCB will be the terrible exchange rate.

Is this correct? And is this acceptable over it's advantages?

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi im a new man in stock investing. And im kinda looking into US market.

After reading for a few days in this thread, it happens that SCB and IB is the best brokerage we can choose from.
However as a small investor, who invest less than $1000 and total fund not exceeding $100k, SCB will be my main choice.

And despite of all the obvious advantages like no min comm and low fee, the main drawback of SCB will be the terrible exchange rate.

Is this correct? And is this acceptable over it's advantages?

terrible exchange rate, lousy platform, relatively high transaction costs in % terms,

Csb is suitable for small time buy n hold investors only

fr3ezeee

Reaction score
what do you mean by "relatively high transaction costs in % terms", i thought they have 0.2% fee which is one of the lowest?

So you think IB is way more superior than SCB?

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what do you mean by "relatively high transaction costs in % terms", i thought they have 0.2% fee which is one of the lowest?

So you think IB is way more superior than SCB?

IB at $1 per transaction
% wise, can be very much lower especially for high $-value counters

thosai

Reaction score
terrible exchange rate, lousy platform, relatively high transaction costs in % terms,

Csb is suitable for small time buy n hold investors only

I think DBS Vickers's buy with cash upfront 0.18%, $18 min with shares kept in CDP isnt so bad a deal...

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U everything say no good
Then what solution or recommendation do u have?

I am still using SCB for SGX , currently only 19% invested out of $100k, 1/2 in REITs
as I said, suitable for small time buy & hold. like myself
eg recent meltdown, have to key in stop loss orders daily, no GTC available

I have another account with IB , about US$145k
their low transactions cost means I can scalp with a 2cents break even on a hundred shares
haven't been that profitable, I attribute it to my lack of skills than on the platform :(

Last edited:

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
need to pay for live data

SCB does not have real-time NBBO or BBO. Bid-offer is critical for trading anything except the most slow-moving ETFs like IWDA. Slow-moving ETF like IWDA, going by last done price is good enough, and you can get that from google finance.

So I don't think it is correct to say that you must pay extra for live data in IBKR. If you are trading without NBBO/BBO in Stanchart successfully and able to make money, then you can continue with no NBBO/BBO on IBKR =:p

I buy GSK ADR on NYSE, can buy US$400, commission US$0.32. Less than 0.1% commission, cheaper than SCB.

Average

Banned
Reaction score
I heard scb atm cards can also use at other banks' atms like sbi, hsbc, citi, maybank, anz. But scb's atm locator doesnt show all of them. Means can only use those shown on scb atm locator?

For example, buonavista mrt got citi atm but it is not listed on scb locator...

Sent from your gal nex door using GAGT

yihao93

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I heard scb atm cards can also use at other banks' atms like sbi, hsbc, citi, maybank, anz. But scb's atm locator doesnt show all of them. Means can only use those shown on scb atm locator?

moi use dash easy atm card can bai mrt concession

chuanz

Master Member
Reaction score

SCB is part of the atm5 network, so if there's the atm5 logo on the machine then you can use it. Not all of Citibank's machine is linked up to atm5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.