Soundbar discussion Thread III {consolidated}

Status
Not open for further replies.

petetherock

Reaction score
For all soundbar related discussions.

• Firstly, what is a soundbar:

Soundbar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A soundbar or sound bar is a special loudspeaker enclosure that creates a reasonable stereo effect from a single cabinet.

• Why use a soundbar?
Not everyone likes to have 5.1 or more speakers, and aesthetics are paramount in many homes. A soundbar fits under a TV, and has some resemblance of surround sound, allowing the HT enthusiast some cinematic experience, whilst avoiding the cables running everywhere.

But having said this, one must understand that a soundbar is merely as good as the reflections off the side walls, which it uses to recreate the surround experience. That means that if you have a room with irregular walls, or different textures on the wall, you will lose the regular effects and it can never be as good as a proper surround system.

The advantages are that you can get some effects and avoid ripping up the ceilings or walls to place cables.

Other factors to consider are:

- is there an integrated disc player - that costs more, and if the play breaks down, you will find it hard to repair
- number of inputs for your other gadgets - the more expensive ones have more inputs obviously
- subwoofer - active, built in or passive (having the subwoofer in the same head unit isn't a good idea
- auto-Eq and calibration - some better ones offer a one button solution, but good placement is still a good idea
- wireless subwoofer?
- there is no need to buy the same brand as your TV or BR player
- can you tilt or adjust the height of your soundbar?
- give yourself room to see the display
- can your shelf support the weight?
- more speakers in the soundbar isn't always better
- do you need pseudo 5.1 or 7.1?
- wall mount or tabletop?

Give some thought to placement of paintings, mirrors and bookshelves, so you try to get an even reflection of sound from all the side walls and even the ceiling. Also plan the cabling, even if it's a lot simpler.

A note, built in enough space, so you give yourself room if you expand and buy a better soundbar, or decide to upgrade to a full HT system.

Also, as with most satellite and sub systems, the mids are where soundbars perform worst. So if music is your cup of tea, make sure you bring some of your favorite tunes along, and audition the system in question for the mids, the soundstage and depth.

Finally, how much you pay frequently determines the quality of the sound and surround experience. Buy a good one, and you won't need to upgrade for a while. Don't cave in and get the cheapest only to regret it. And if you are really keen on a full home theatre experience, there is nothing like a real surround system. Talk to your spouse first.

Some useful links:

Setting Up:
Setting Up a Sound Bar to Enhance Your Flat Panel TV's Audio | Audioholics

Sound Bars: How to Choose

Sound bar buying guide: What you need to know | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

8 best soundbar speakers for your HD TV | News | TechRadar

Read this before you buy a sound bar | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Five Tips to Pick the Right Soundbar

9 Great Soundbars For Any Budget: TV Speakers Be Gone! | Audioholics

h022YSP4100-t.jpeg

A useful article on soundbar installation:
http://hometheaterhifi.com/blogs/soundbar-selection-installation-tips/

Last edited:

lukold

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Razer Leviathan 5.1 vs Samsung HW-J450 Soundbar
Which one would you recommend?

warr

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A question:
is it difficult to install soundbars on the wall or tv feature wall?
e.g. if i get a soundbar from online, is it easy to install DIY, or the house renovation contractor will know how to install?

TheOmniPotent

Master Member
Reaction score
A question:
is it difficult to install soundbars on the wall or tv feature wall?
e.g. if i get a soundbar from online, is it easy to install DIY, or the house renovation contractor will know how to install?
If you feature wall ask your carpenter the beam line or area. Mark that area and screw using The correct screw set n depth.

Want to play safe call the installers .they.charge 30_50

Sent from bless you ! using GAGT

petetherock

Reaction score
One way is to use a shelf- ikea sells a LACK shelf that will hold it easily.
You can cut a groove at the back to run cables.

citvengen

Reaction score
Just got a Sony CT380 but it just wont get sound out from my samsung 55" tv. Optic cable plugged. Pls help.

Tuakong

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Damn pissed with my Philips 9100 Fidelio
Went kaput after 1.5yrs and Philips quoted me $530 (incl gst) to replace the motherboard
Shld I proceed or just buy the LG950 sb at$800?

Last edited:

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
530 and it's only mobo new.

That's for u to decide whether it's worth it liao

Dunno if u can try ask Philips whether can trade in your set and get a new one at a cheaper rate den outside.

Sent from INO 3 using GAGT

BBClone

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My old Samsung 32" LED TV recently experienced issues with the in-built TV sound speakers... crackling noises and some muffling. I'm not particular, and I just want a simple Samsung sound bar to replace the onboard speakers. I'm looking at Samsung HW-J250 model soundbar (seems to be cheap with good reviews). Where in Singapore can I get one?

Or if not, something equally compatible and cheap for recommendations? Needs a digital audio optical input.

Thanks!

jaspok

Reaction score
530 and it's only mobo new.

That's for u to decide whether it's worth it liao

Dunno if u can try ask Philips whether can trade in your set and get a new one at a cheaper rate den outside.

Sent from INO 3 using GAGT

Go for the Focal Dimension + subwoofer, guarantee u won't be disappointed.
At the promo price it is worth buying then paying for mass market consumer brands like Phillips, Samsung or Yamaha.

http://www.musiclinkav.com/store/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=244&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1046&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.