Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

terumo

Reaction score
To the_gryffindor,
24k btu will consumer lesser energy then the 18k btu assuming they cut off the compressor faster.

Having a undersized unit will consume more energy.

luiohh

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for help on getting a new aircon to replace old one (about 10 years). I stay in a 5 room HDB, living room and dining area combined into one large area. I got a quote from "Tim Wong" who is active on renotalk forum. Wondering if anyone can help in the below.

1. Anyone has any experience with "Tim Wong" from renotalk? Seems to feature quite prominently there - not many reviews but those that I saw seems to be generally positive, didn't see any bad reviews.

2. He quoted the following:

===
Option 1 (5 ticks energy efficiency)

System 4 One Outdoor Condensor (For 3 bedroom 1 living-dining hall) with Compressor Capacity 28,000 btu- 5 ticks energy saving--Estimated $650 yearly electricity bill (based on NEA Test 8 hrs usage @ 25
degree temperature)

Mitsubishi Electric Starmex Inverter 2015 New model- $4,599

MXY-4G28VA/ MSXY-FJ10 (9,000 btu) x 3 + MSXY-FJ24 (24,000 btu) x 1
===

He also quoted a few other models which are cheaper by $600 - $700 from MHI, Daikin and ME starmex but which are only 2-3 ticks energy efficiency. Any thoughts - was thinking of getting the above Option 1 but i thought to ask if anyone here got any feedback/comments.

Thank you!

Hey guys, anyone else with any feedback or comments? Seem that 28degree got positive experience with Tim Wong.

F3Rm1nat0r

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any creative ways to hide a pipe that must go under a structural beam which runs across the house? (Can't drill through that)

F3Rm1nat0r

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also, any airconditioning companies that will also do false ceiling/fale wall to hide the pipings?

frozted12

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im in dilemma right now. 2weeks ago, went to IMM to survey aircon for my 5room resale flat. After some "powerful" sales talk from a B*** T*** salemans, hurriedly paid/booked deposit $300 for the new LG(4 ticks) Sys 3 price at$2699. It was on sale then, thus was afraid the sale ends.
Insulation is their so called "signature" Yamato 3/8 while other items are pretty standard.

1) After reading horror stories in the web abt B*** T***, im now thinking should I forfeit the $300 deposit and buy from other companies? Current flat using Fujitsu Sys 2 installed by GC almost 4yrs ago. So far so good with 1 or 2 times yearly servicing.

2) This Yamato insulation by B*** T***. Cant find much info abt it on the web. So are they trying to bs us consumers? Even saleman from GC said, its only them who re using this product while others are using those test-proven Armaflex & whatever-flex all this while.

3) LG aircon... anyone hv experience with this brand? Its made in korea and with 4 ticks. So I tot should be ok rite?

4) Now wifey, want to put aircon in living area and study rm. So I tot adding another Sys 2 on top of the Sys 3. Is this config ok? What other brands should I look at?

But most important, anyone hv experience with B*** T***? So issit? Was thinking also, if they were that BAD! They are still ard after all these years what? So should be ok rite?

guyferic

Reaction score
some/almost all Daikin unit are switching to R32 which I google and found it to be 'mildly flammable' and its toxic if burnt although its more ozone friendly. I guess I need to settle for Starmex but the 2/4/5 ticks, I very blur, anyone can enlighten, is it more tick the better energy/money saving. Let's say 8hrs per day for 365 days, choose how many ticks better?

if there's not much difference for the different ticks, I can consider other brands as well.

Last edited:

Yurikaze

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im in dilemma right now. 2weeks ago, went to IMM to survey aircon for my 5room resale flat. After some "powerful" sales talk from a B*** T*** salemans, hurriedly paid/booked deposit $300 for the new LG(4 ticks) Sys 3 price at$2699. It was on sale then, thus was afraid the sale ends.
Insulation is their so called "signature" Yamato 3/8 while other items are pretty standard.

1) After reading horror stories in the web abt B*** T***, im now thinking should I forfeit the $300 deposit and buy from other companies? Current flat using Fujitsu Sys 2 installed by GC almost 4yrs ago. So far so good with 1 or 2 times yearly servicing.

2) This Yamato insulation by B*** T***. Cant find much info abt it on the web. So are they trying to bs us consumers? Even saleman from GC said, its only them who re using this product while others are using those test-proven Armaflex & whatever-flex all this while.

3) LG aircon... anyone hv experience with this brand? Its made in korea and with 4 ticks. So I tot should be ok rite?

4) Now wifey, want to put aircon in living area and study rm. So I tot adding another Sys 2 on top of the Sys 3. Is this config ok? What other brands should I look at?

But most important, anyone hv experience with B*** T***? So issit? Was thinking also, if they were that BAD! They are still ard after all these years what? So should be ok rite?

My MHI was installed by them 6 years ago. Still working fine. Horror stories are just stories.

guyferic

Reaction score
To guyferic,
The higher number of ticks = better energy efficiency.
You can check NEA website for a estimated range of energy consumption amount.
Site URL https://e-services.nea.gov.sg/els/Pages/Search/PublicSearchProduct.aspx?param=goods&type=p

I read through the treads and with the new tick system, the 4 ticks in the past is now only 2 ticks and I dont see many ppl talking abt the 5 ticks, most just settle for 2/4 ticks so I dont know if its worth it to get the 5 ticks at abt $500+ difference in pricing.
Aircon is consider expensive item so must ask more qns. sorry for the troublesome.

BlackLabel618

Reaction score
I read through the treads and with the new tick system, the 4 ticks in the past is now only 2 ticks and I dont see many ppl talking abt the 5 ticks, most just settle for 2/4 ticks so I dont know if its worth it to get the 5 ticks at abt $500+ difference in pricing.
Aircon is consider expensive item so must ask more qns. sorry for the troublesome.
Latest 5 ticks is not only more expensive, it's compressor is also smaller in output compared to old 2 ticks. After weighing pros n cons, just decided to commit to a sys 4 2 ticks starmex with 18/12/9/9 fcu config, 1/2' insulation and G22 gauge copper pipes at $39xx with GC. Hopefully it's a good deal.

Last edited:

guyferic

Reaction score
any one using panasonic brands can give some reviews like the functions and is it easy to clean?

CCCustom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a quotation for the 2-tick Starmex System-4 as follows:

28VA compressor
18VA living room
10VA x 3 bedrooms
$3,850 nett, + $150 for 24VA living room.

Alternatively,

38VA compressor
24VA living room
10VA x 3 bedrooms
$4,700 nett.

G22 copper pipe, 16mm drainage pipe (for both cases).

Good, no-good, or quite-standard quote?

They suggested to stick to 18k for living room for my new 4-room BTO ... would y'all agree? My concern is that if I get a 24k for living room I can't use any of the bedroom ones, and although that's fine for us adults, we might want to switch on the unit in our baby's room ... at the very least, long enough for baby to fall asleep soundly.

bingbing

Reaction score
Latest 5 ticks is not only more expensive, it's compressor is also smaller in output compared to old 2 ticks. After weighing pros n cons, just decided to commit to a sys 4 2 ticks starmex with 18/12/9/9 fcu config, 1/2' insulation and G22 gauge copper pipes at $39xx with GC. Hopefully it's a good deal.
hihi, so meaning the only 'pro' for the new mitsubishi 5 ticks is the energy efficiency, which is due to its lower compressor output. saw soemwhere in this thread that it is noisier too?

BlackLabel618

Reaction score
hihi, so meaning the only 'pro' for the new mitsubishi 5 ticks is the energy efficiency, which is due to its lower compressor output. saw soemwhere in this thread that it is noisier too?

I do not wanna challenge 5 ticks is more 'energy efficient' than 2 ticks but the fact that the 5 ticks is operating at a smaller output somehow takes the shine off the gloss. Had the 5 ticks be churning out the same 28k btu as the 2 ticks, it would have been so much more convincing and psychologically consumers will not have to debate whether it's worth forking out more for a smaller Hp machine if you get my drift.

bingbing

Reaction score
I do not wanna challenge 5 ticks is more 'energy efficient' than 2 ticks but the fact that the 5 ticks is operating at a smaller output somehow takes the shine off the gloss. Had the 5 ticks be churning out the same 28k btu as the 2 ticks, it would have been so much more convincing and psychologically consumers will not have to debate whether it's worth forking out more for a smaller Hp machine if you get my drift.
ohoh i was under the impression that the max btu is the same given the model number:

5 ticks - MXY4G28
2 ticks - MXY4A28

oh well guess more research needs to be done then!

BlackLabel618

Reaction score
ohoh i was under the impression that the max btu is the same given the model number:

5 ticks - MXY4G28
2 ticks - MXY4A28

oh well guess more research needs to be done then!
From their catalogue, MXY4A28 got total capacity of 7.5kw without current limit and 7.2kw with.
MXY4G28 posted 6.5kw with no elaboration on current limit. Go convert kW to btu and figure.

Last edited:

guyferic

Reaction score

I sense that you are quite an expert in choosing the most value for money/energy saving aircons. Please enlighten a noob like me. I'm looking at SYS 2 multi split.

Starmex MXY-2E20VA(2 ticks) the Capacity BTU/hr is 20472 cooling is 6.0Kw
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs...=2726&prodName='MXY-2E20VA / 2 X MSY-GE10VA '

Starmex MXY-2G20VA(5 ticks) the Capacity BTU/hr is 21495 cooling is 6.3Kw
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=3243

Is it worth it to get the 5 ticks or the 2 ticks model?
Tks.

BlackLabel618

Reaction score
I sense that you are quite an expert in choosing the most value for money/energy saving aircons. Please enlighten a noob like me. I'm looking at SYS 2 multi split.

Starmex MXY-2E20VA(2 ticks) the Capacity BTU/hr is 20472 cooling is 6.0Kw
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs...=2726&prodName='MXY-2E20VA / 2 X MSY-GE10VA '

Starmex MXY-2G20VA(5 ticks) the Capacity BTU/hr is 21495 cooling is 6.3Kw
http://www.coolserve.com.sg/htmdocs/products/products_details.aspx?id=3243

Is it worth it to get the 5 ticks or the 2 ticks model?
Tks.
Oh no me no expert. Am just as noob. Everything I know is from mit catalogue.
MXY2E20VA max capacity 6.3-6.55kw, nominal 4.8-5kw depending on fcu config with no current limit.

MXY2G20VA max capacity 6.3kw, nominal 4.8kw.

These output ratings are close enough, I would think the 5 ticks one is more worth. My 2 cents.

guyferic

Reaction score
Oh no me no expert. Am just as noob. Everything I know is from mit catalogue.
MXY2E20VA max capacity 6.3-6.55kw, nominal 4.8-5kw depending on fcu config with no current limit.

MXY2G20VA max capacity 6.3kw, nominal 4.8kw.

These output ratings are close enough, I would think the 5 ticks one is more worth. My 2 cents.

tks for helping. your 2 cents worth would definitely help me save that xtra cents:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.