HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Service/Repair for a gameboy colour in singapore?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #1

Service/Repair for a gameboy colour in singapore?

Hey there,

(sorry, I don't know if this is an appropriate post for this forum, first time posting)

I opened my trusted gameboy color box today for the first time in, like, 8 years, to unfortunately find the screen wrinkled and somewhat cracked. I'm not sure how that happened, perhaps the container dropped over the years and no one noticed the damage, or the heat of Singapore got the better of it.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the unit is fully functional. It powers on fine, the power led is bright red, I hear the boot up "ta-ding". I can also see some movements on the few pixels of the screen which are not dead and I can hear game music. So basically... I just need a new screen.

I went to 3 game shops in simlim where the shop keepers tried their best to not laugh in my face when I told them I wanted to repair the unit. "did you mean a DS?" "no, a gameboy color" "that's old" "I know" "like more than 10 years" "I know" (my unit is from 1999)

Well so these guys can't help me, but I figure that if there is a vintage repair service shop somewhere in Singapore, you guys at HWZ would know about it. So if you do, please pass me the details, I'd very much appreciate it

Thanks in advance,
Tim

PS: In case anyone's wondering why I still want my gameboy. Nintendo builds things like tanks, I always assumed it's survive time and that I'd be able to pass it to my kids someday. Well, my son turned 5 and I think he could have a game of super mario land on this. I'm very disappointed it's not working :/
devilwahaha likes this.
timothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

You can always look for second handed game boys on ebay

memories

Pelican Cases http://bit.ly/154HycK
noobiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:24 AM   #3
Arch-Supremacy Member

yea, buying one from ebay or from others is cheaper than repairing (if any), cos e replacement screen still needs to come from another gbc. I also wanted to repair my gameboy pocket screen, but bought one gbc from ebay instead, cost me lik 40sgd with shipping, which i think is cheap.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I was hoping I'd be able to service this one unit because it has some sentimental value as well: it's been given to me by my then girlfriend, now wife and mother of my kids

But anyway, it looks, like it's doomed. So I'll follow your advice and browse ebay and/or contact TanAhKhow and enenyi.

Thanks all.
Tim.
royalmage likes this.
timothee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I was hoping I'd be able to service this one unit because it has some sentimental value as well: it's been given to me by my then girlfriend, now wife and mother of my kids

But anyway, it looks, like it's doomed. So I'll follow your advice and browse ebay and/or contact TanAhKhow and enenyi.

Thanks all.
Tim.
well den u can buy one n transfer e screen over
Old 04-06-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Banned

source:
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/ga...n-3677566.html
redstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
cKm

I know seow choon games does repair. Maybe can ask them?
cKm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #8
Banned

I know seow choon games does repair. Maybe can ask them?
yea, buying one from ebay or from others is cheaper than repairing (if any), cos e replacement screen still needs to come from another gbc. I also wanted to repair my gameboy pocket screen, but bought one gbc from ebay instead, cost me lik 40sgd with shipping, which i think is cheap.
try buying one faulty gbc from forum like hardwarezone, sg forum,flowerpod n etc will be cheaper & better since u just need 2 transfer e screen over.

GAMEBOY COLOR

SPOILT ONE - $5
warning: everything doesnt work. and there's no battery cover.
Selling two Gameboy Color, one button spoiled, one all still working.

Green Gameboy Color:
- Able to switch on power
- Able to read game
- Volume is fine
- 'A' button spoiled
- Start button slightly spoiled, press it hard down and it still can work

Price: $30

Gameboy not working condition.Can't be used.I might as well sell it to those who want it and the pokemon games too.

Last edited by redstone; 04-06-2012 at 11:13 PM..
redstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #9
Banned

So I'll follow your advice and browse ebay and/or contact TanAhKhow and enenyi.

Thanks all.
Tim.
i have offically sold my gbc to Tim.

problem solved/settled
TanAhKhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Banned

. Well, my son turned 5 and I think he could have a game of super mario land on this.
my friend'd a super mario cart

offer for it?
TanAhKhow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #11

Hey timothee, i'm having the same problem with my gameboy color. Possible to share whether you got it fixed?
Dedajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:33 AM   #12

Exclamation

Bumping a really old thread because I have the same problem.

I finally took out my GBC after a few months and was horrified to see the warped/wrinkled screen. I heard siew choon games has closed down so are there any other places to get my GBC repaired? I don't wanna buy another one because this one is of sentimental value - it was the first console my parents ever bought for me.
feelslikedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #13

I finally took out my GBC after a few months and was horrified to see the warped/wrinkled screen. I heard siew choon games has closed down so are there any other places to get my GBC repaired? I don't wanna buy another one because this one is of sentimental value - it was the first console my parents ever bought for me.
if you want to fix it, i guess you need to buy a second hand unit on ebay or third party china part from online alibaba to replace whatever part you had spoil. this is how people are fixing it online and oversea nowadays to keep their retro unit alive.
liewhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #14
Master Member

Hey there,

(sorry, I don't know if this is an appropriate post for this forum, first time posting)

I opened my trusted gameboy color box today for the first time in, like, 8 years, to unfortunately find the screen wrinkled and somewhat cracked. I'm not sure how that happened, perhaps the container dropped over the years and no one noticed the damage, or the heat of Singapore got the better of it.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, the unit is fully functional. It powers on fine, the power led is bright red, I hear the boot up "ta-ding". I can also see some movements on the few pixels of the screen which are not dead and I can hear game music. So basically... I just need a new screen.

I went to 3 game shops in simlim where the shop keepers tried their best to not laugh in my face when I told them I wanted to repair the unit. "did you mean a DS?" "no, a gameboy color" "that's old" "I know" "like more than 10 years" "I know" (my unit is from 1999)

Well so these guys can't help me, but I figure that if there is a vintage repair service shop somewhere in Singapore, you guys at HWZ would know about it. So if you do, please pass me the details, I'd very much appreciate it

Thanks in advance,
Tim

PS: In case anyone's wondering why I still want my gameboy. Nintendo builds things like tanks, I always assumed it's survive time and that I'd be able to pass it to my kids someday. Well, my son turned 5 and I think he could have a game of super mario land on this. I'm very disappointed it's not working :/
wah seriously you still keep it... i love it to... but now day can play at smartphone already... way better...
Old 12-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #15
Master Member

hope u can sell yr faulty gbc as I require yr other spare parts to fix my gbc as well
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.