[HELP] Desktop shuts down abruptly, unable to power on thereafter

RightSaid

Master Member
Reaction score
Was using my computer last night and my desktop suddenly shut down. Monitor and speakers were still switched on.

Tried to power on the desktop again but I was unable to do so. However, i saw the psu fan spun for half a second, along with some lights (vga + 2 other lights which I can’t rmb) on the mobo lighting up whenever the psu fan spun for that half second. This repeated every 3-5s until I switched off the PSU.

Parts and components are listed on the right, not sure if the problem lies with my psu or the mobo..

Appreciate your expertise in this! Thanks in advance guys!

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Either the PSU or another part causing short circuit. Try jump start PSU to check if can power on?

it_geek

Master Member
Reaction score
Plug out all the cables from your com. Do a hard reset by pressing and holding your power button for 60 seconds to drain residual power.

Then plug everything back and try again.

If still the same problem, PSU is shorted. Give up and get a new one. Can get a new one decently for $160+

jase07

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm having this problem as well! At first thought is PSU problem, went to change for a new PSU since under warranty. Was working well with the new PSU last night till this morning, the on and off pattern is back.....

I'll try the hard reset method.

RightSaid

Master Member
Reaction score
Either the PSU or another part causing short circuit. Try jump start PSU to check if can power on?

Ok will try the jump start method later when i’m home. If the psu can power on using the jump start, that means the problem is most probably my mobo already right?

RightSaid

Master Member
Reaction score
Plug out all the cables from your com. Do a hard reset by pressing and holding your power button for 60 seconds to drain residual power.

Then plug everything back and try again.

If still the same problem, PSU is shorted. Give up and get a new one. Can get a new one decently for $160+

U mean plug out all the external cables (peripherals) or all of the internal connections?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok will try the jump start method later when i’m home. If the psu can power on using the jump start, that means the problem is most probably my mobo already right?
Any connected device can cause a short too.

RightSaid

Master Member
Reaction score
Any connected device can cause a short too.

Just did the jump start test using a paper clip, connected psu to direct wall outlet, switched on the psu, fan of the psu spun for half a second and died. I guess i have to send the psu back for rma then..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.