[Monitor] LCD monitor repair

Maverick_83

Reaction score
This look like a panel problem, bro. I have one lying at home with same problem but of a diff model. Not worth to change panel in my opinion. Unless lucky can get from scrap yard lah

Thanks for the quick reply bro!

Not sure if this makes any difference, but IIRC my panel's a MVA type. I paid a bomb for this thing when it first came out, and I'm hoping to restore it enough to be part of a future dual-monitor setup. :o Assuming I choose to get the panel replaced, what kind of costs do you think it will incur?

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply bro!

Not sure if this makes any difference, but IIRC my panel's a MVA type. I paid a bomb for this thing when it first came out, and I'm hoping to restore it enough to be part of a future dual-monitor setup. :o Assuming I choose to get the panel replaced, what kind of costs do you think it will incur?

Yup. Yours has a 19 inch 8 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM190E4-L02) panel. cost i am not too sure lah. problem is sourcing for the panel. U may try contacting samsung and see how much. btw hiw much u paid for it?

Maverick_83

Reaction score
Yup. Yours has a 19 inch 8 ms (g2g) PVA (Samsung LTM190E4-L02) panel. cost i am not too sure lah. problem is sourcing for the panel. U may try contacting samsung and see how much. btw hiw much u paid for it?

Thanks, will do. Though chances are their pricing will be exorbitant (I've asked quotation for repair of EOL products before), that's why I came to ask you :D Seriously though, googling for the specs/parts really didn't turn up much results... think you can help?

What are the causes of the clouding? Is preventive maintenance possible?

$1099, in 2005... s*** wow it's been 7 years already?! OK, I REALLY wanna get this thing fixed.

Last edited:

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
Thanks, will do. Though chances are their pricing will be exorbitant (I've asked quotation for repair of EOL products before), that's why I came to ask you :D Seriously though, googling for the specs/parts really didn't turn up much results... think you can help?

What are the causes of the clouding? Is preventive maintenance possible?

$1099, in 2005... s*** wow it's been 7 years already?! OK, I REALLY wanna get this thing fixed.

haha... maybe u can try this.. =:p.. however, i will have no guarantee whether those sellers are selling working or non-defecting panels.. in other words.. buy it at your own risk la.. :eek:..

zackwei

Reaction score
My monitor viewsonic 2235vm cannot powerup, as it out of warranty so out of curiosity i already open up the monitor and do some inspection. There is a capacitor got bulged cap.
rated 2200uf 10v
I would try to change myself, but i dun have soldering tools. Dunno want to buy soldering pen or not as only use one time. Any place got provide soldering services? Or can bros help me to change this capacitor and afterward testing. PM me please.

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
My monitor viewsonic 2235vm cannot powerup, as it out of warranty so out of curiosity i already open up the monitor and do some inspection. There is a capacitor got bulged cap.
rated 2200uf 10v
I would try to change myself, but i dun have soldering tools. Dunno want to buy soldering pen or not as only use one time. Any place got provide soldering services? Or can bros help me to change this capacitor and afterward testing. PM me please.

Then just buy el-cheapo solder iron and small solder tube at SLT. order the CORRECT capacitors from either RS component (free delivery & no minimal purchase amount) or element14 (minimum $10 for free self collection at tai seng).

Usually for this case i would change all the capacitors on the power board coz if one bad meaning the rest are in ICU condition. :).. unless u want to disassemble it in afew months time.

I can replace and order for u if u find it to be too troublesome. but of course got charges la. let me know thru PM if interested.

Last edited:

zackwei

Reaction score
hi bro bearusdamhu,
i ask my neighbour to help. :), only change one piece of capacitor. Now the monitor works!
haha, save money, as i have thought of upgrade the LCD, now as long as it can tahan.
Google some infor, actually it is very common for LCD capacitor spoil, even youtube have DIY guide. I look inside the panel, only 2 PCB board and panel can sell 3++, seem rather expensive.

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
hi bro bearusdamhu,
i ask my neighbour to help. :), only change one piece of capacitor. Now the monitor works!
haha, save money, as i have thought of upgrade the LCD, now as long as it can tahan.
Google some infor, actually it is very common for LCD capacitor spoil, even youtube have DIY guide. I look inside the panel, only 2 PCB board and panel can sell 3++, seem rather expensive.

Steady lah bro.. good job..

EVILSWAT

Reaction score
I've a Samsung 2494HS that just went kaput on me, power light is ON, tried shining a torchlight at it and I can barely see an extremely faint image on the screen. If I'm following this thread correctly, this means that the backlight is spoilt?

What can I do to fix this? I am extremely bad at electrical components (and I'm a guy, quite paiseh :(), never touched a solder iron before. Anybody can help me?

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
I've a Samsung 2494HS that just went kaput on me, power light is ON, tried shining a torchlight at it and I can barely see an extremely faint image on the screen. If I'm following this thread correctly, this means that the backlight is spoilt?

What can I do to fix this? I am extremely bad at electrical components (and I'm a guy, quite paiseh :(), never touched a solder iron before. Anybody can help me?

Same problem with bro whorocks and another hwz forumer that i did before. Hopefully is the same component on the power board which is faulty and not the backlight. Let me know if u need me to do the repair..

foxcorn

Reaction score
My monitor was down 2 days ago, then I found this thread. It's a Dell 2408WFP, it happened after i turn off power then turn on again. The power indicator is on, but there's no image on LCD monitor, sometimes got image but cannot read because there's vertical lines.

Bro bearusdamhu, can you help to repair?

Last edited:

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
My monitor was down 2 days ago, then I found this thread. It's a Dell 2408WFP, it happened after i turn off power then turn on again. The power indicator is on, but there's no image on LCD monitor, sometimes got image but cannot read because there's vertical lines.

Bro bearusdamhu, can you help to repair?

Have u tried another source like vga? Is the backlight on? If u shine torchlight can u see your PC wall paper?

If panel problem, i am afraid it is near impossible to repair. Will need to disassemble and access it whether it is repairable.

bearusdamhu

Reaction score
I tested with VGA and DVI port, can see image but it has vertical bars (black color). here is a photo I took today.

Camera+ photo

does it sound a PCB board problem?

from my unprofessional view, looks more like panel faulty to me. likely unrepairable. unless someone more expert can prove otherwise.

foxcorn

Reaction score
thanks bro bearusdamhu, i will try to find some shop to see if it can be fixed.

cyberpig

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my Samsung LCD will intermittently go black. sometimes in the middle of usage but most of the time is the screen stays blank when pc exits hybernation. when the screen goes blanks, the speakers in the screen sometimes makes some buzzing sound.

could this be due to faulty capacitor? willing to pay for repair service.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.