Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Like Tree633Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM   #1651
Master Member

U can press the power button to on it.

How do I power on my DS213j when it is completely powered off?

I could power it on from my Android phone or Synology Assistant, when the LAN light is blinking (i.e. Wake-on-LAN). But I cannot do it if no light is blinking. Anyone?
koroshiya8 likes this.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #1652

I could power it on from my Android phone or Synology Assistant, when the LAN light is blinking (i.e. Wake-on-LAN). But I cannot do it if no light is blinking. Anyone?
U can press the power button to on it.

Forgot to mention, I want to power it on without pressing the power on button Cos everytime I turn on my router and NAS, I still have to stretch my hand to press the power button on NAS (even though it's supposed to have WOL).
Old 07-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1653
Supremacy Member

I still have to stretch my hand to press the power button.
elbow exercise is good for u

Processor
INTEL i7-3770k
Mainboard
ASUS P8Z77-V-PRO
Graphics Card
SAPPHIRE HD7850
Memory
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL9 with 1.5V UDIMM B
Display
QNIX QX2710LED
Storage
1TB HITACHI - 4TB Synology NAS - WD 3GB Passport
Casing
THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10
PSU
650W
Audio
onboard
OS
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Old 13-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #1654
Supremacy Member

experts, am I right to say that Cloud Station syncs both ways ?

Lets say I have a fileshared.doc in cloudstation in PC-1 and PC-2 is able to retrieve it. I edit it and place it back into cloudstation folder, with the same name and PC-1 will receive / sync the updated file ?
Processor
INTEL i7-3770k
Mainboard
ASUS P8Z77-V-PRO
Graphics Card
SAPPHIRE HD7850
Memory
Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB Kit (8GBx4) 240-Pin DDR3 1866 MT/s (PC3-14900) CL9 with 1.5V UDIMM B
Display
QNIX QX2710LED
Storage
1TB HITACHI - 4TB Synology NAS - WD 3GB Passport
Casing
THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10
PSU
650W
Audio
onboard
OS
Windows 7 Professional 64Bit

Old 14-10-2013, 08:57 AM   #1655

Hi. I own a 213-J and there are problems streaming from video station. I had recently upgraded video station software. I can still view all my media on the NAS in catalogue mode, just that when i want to play the video it will pop out "connection expired" or "playback error". i have no problems playing these videos prior to the update. Anyone experience the same issue?
Old 14-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #1656

Did you try "DS finder" for Android?
Old 14-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #1657

Anyone knows how to upload a file FROM the synology NAS to some web host? e.g. google drive, mega etc.

Basically, I have the file in my NAS and I want to initiate the upload via my PC/laptop and then shut off the PC/laptop while the upload is ongoing. Something like Download Station but in reverse.
Old 14-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #1658
Arch-Supremacy Member

Forgot to mention, I want to power it on without pressing the power on button Cos everytime I turn on my router and NAS, I still have to stretch my hand to press the power button on NAS (even though it's supposed to have WOL).
Can you power on a car without battery and fuel ? If you can, then we can always use the same technology to power your NAS. Please be sensible.

Obviously power has to be supplied to the unit to have it power on regardless which soft power-on method you have chosen. WOL is nothing more than your always ON network card receiving the "magic" packet and initiate the power-on on the motherboard it is connected to. There is no magic here. The only thing so called not power on is more like they are all hibernating in a standby state.

You are free to keep on NAS 24by7 on like the way I do. It's actually more efficient and less prone to failure if you keep everything stable. It's not like the NAS will require you S$100/month to run.
midustouch and civicguy like this.
Processor
2x E5520
Mainboard
Intel S5520HC
Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro 600
Memory
24 GB DDR3
Display
24" Samsung LED
Storage
4x DW Velociraptor on HPT 4310 H/W RAID
Optical Storage
1x DVD
Casing
Cool Master
PSU
Forgotten
Audio
None
OS
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Old 14-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #1659
Master Member

Can you power on a car without battery and fuel ? If you can, then we can always use the same technology to power your NAS. Please be sensible.

Obviously power has to be supplied to the unit to have it power on regardless which soft power-on method you have chosen. WOL is nothing more than your always ON network card receiving the "magic" packet and initiate the power-on on the motherboard it is connected to. There is no magic here. The only thing so called not power on is more like they are all hibernating in a standby state.

You are free to keep on NAS 24by7 on like the way I do. It's actually more efficient and less prone to failure if you keep everything stable. It's not like the NAS will require you S$100/month to run.
I seconded this opinion. The purpose of having a NAS is to provide storage readily. If you power up and down often, might as well stick with a DAS storage instead of NAS. IMO frequent power up and down may wear out the HDD faster.
Old 15-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #1660
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thinking of upgrading my dns320 to a ds413j. Will there be an improvement in read write speed? How about setting up for remote access. Tried reading the thread but too chim for me liao. Now I using ddns to access files through ftp(if it makes sense), paiseh I not very fluent networking stuffs
Processor
Intel i5 6600K wif Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Mainboard
MSI Z170i Pro AC mITX
Graphics Card
MSI GTX1080 Founder's Edition
Memory
Kingston HyperX FURY DDR4 2666Mhz 2*8GB
Display
ASUS MX27AQ
Storage
Samsung 850 Evo 250+500gb, WD Blue 2TB HDD
Optical Storage
Samsung DVD-RW
Casing
Fractal Design Core 500
PSU
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS
Audio
Benchmark DAC1 USB - JBL LSR305+LSR310S
OS
Windows 10 Retail

Old 15-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #1661

What I meant:
1. Both router and DS213j are of course connected to power socket.
2. Switch on the power
3. Router will automatically power up.
4. DS213j can only be powered up by pressing the physical button.
5. Android "DS finder" also cannot find DS213j.
6. So I'm asking if DS213j can be powered on without touching any physical hardware.

I have set up Wake-on-LAN:
When powered on, after not using DS213j for some time, it will go into hibernating mode, the LAN light will be blinking. DS finder is able to find, and DS213j can be 'activated'.

WOL does not work if:
If initially there's no power supplied, then I switch on the power to both router and DS213j, the router can start running, but the DS213j needs me to give it physical contact (press the power button), even though WOL is activated. (e.g. DS finder cannot find)
Old 15-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #1662
High Supremacy Member

What I meant:
2. Switch on the power
6. So I'm asking if DS213j can be powered on without touching any physical hardware.

When powered on, after not using DS213j for some time, it will go into hibernating mode, the LAN light will be blinking. DS finder is able to find, and DS213j can be 'activated'.

WOL does not work if:
If initially there's no power supplied, then I switch on the power to both router and DS213j, the router can start running, but the DS213j needs me to give it physical contact (press the power button), even though WOL is activated. (e.g. DS finder cannot find)
I know what you mean. Let me try explain as best as I can.

DS Finder is supposed to be able to issue a WOL command i.e Magic Packet to your NAS so that it will boot up (not wake up from hibernation).

What you need to do is to configure your router so that the magic packet gets forwarded through your router to your NAS. I could not get this to work.

What I did is to login to my Asus router via Asus AI Cloud App and invoke the WOL command found within AI Cloud App. The NAS could boot up in this manner.
Processor
Q6600 at 3.2Ghz
Mainboard
Asus Rampage Formula
Graphics Card
Palit ATI4870 1GB
Memory
G.Skill 8GB DDR1000
Display
Sony 40W400A and Dell 2407 HC
Storage
4 x OCZ RAID0 SSD / 4 x WD640AAKS RAID5
Optical Storage
LG 16x, Samsung 203B
Casing
Lian Li PC71B
PSU
Corsair HX620
Audio
HDA X-Plosion + Tannoy HT
OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Old 16-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #1663
Arch-Supremacy Member

What I meant:
2. Switch on the power

WOL does not work if:
Okay, get what you are asking now. In this case, my short answer to you is NO. The longer answer is HARD. Synology NAS is exactly a system with a motherboard, not much difference from your normal desktop system, except without a graphical output nor hardware console. I recall it has a terminal port though for technical servicing.

What happens is today mainboards don't start just with power from PSU. At least not all components. It still require a soft power on switch to activate, which is the power button you are pressing.

I would suspect you will need to mod the jumper or pins if you want it to power on by default. This would be rather electrically technical.

2 approaches to solve this problem is you either leave the NAS on 24by7, if not, you will need to resort to WOL from a computer or any devices that can broadcast WOL packets into the network.

Below is a PHP script that I have been using to broadcast WOL packets into another system from my NAS. Might not be very useful to you, but you see if it helps at all
<?php flush(); function wol($addr, $mac,$socket_number) { $addr_byte = explode(':', $mac); $hw_addr = ''; for ($a=0; $a < 6; $a++) $hw_addr .= chr(hexdec($addr_byte[$a])); $msg = chr(255).chr(255).chr(255).chr(255).chr(255).chr(255); for ($a = 1; $a <= 16; $a++) $msg .= $hw_addr; $s = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_DGRAM, SOL_UDP); if ($s == false) { echo "Error creating socket!\n"; echo "Error code is '".socket_last_error($s)."' - " . socket_strerror(socket_last_error($s)); } else { $opt_ret = socket_set_option($s, 1, 6, TRUE); if($opt_ret < 0) echo "setsockopt() failed, error: " . strerror($opt_ret) . "\n"; $e = socket_sendto($s, $msg, strlen($msg), 0, $addr, $socket_number); socket_close($s); echo "Magic Packet sent to MONSTER"; } } $socket_number = "32446"; // any number between 1-40000 $mac_addy = "aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff"; // mac address of your NAS or the system's nic to be waked $ip_addy = "www.xxx.yyy.zzz"; // broadcast address of your network wol($ip_addy, $mac_addy,$socket_number); ?>
Processor
2x E5520
Mainboard
Intel S5520HC
Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro 600
Memory
24 GB DDR3
Display
24" Samsung LED
Storage
Optical Storage
1x DVD
Casing
Cool Master
PSU
Forgotten
Audio
None
OS

Old 16-10-2013, 01:22 AM   #1664

Okay... thanks both for the technical replies. Just tried running the php script on WAMP but doesn't work.

socket_set_option(): unable to set socket option [0]: An invalid argument was supplied.

Googled but cannot find anything useful.
Old 16-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #1665
Arch-Supremacy Member

Okay... thanks both for the technical replies. Just tried running the php script on WAMP but doesn't work.

socket_set_option(): unable to set socket option [0]: An invalid argument was supplied.

Googled but cannot find anything useful.
WakeMeOnLan - Turn on computers on your network with Wake-on-LAN packet
Processor
2x E5520
Mainboard
Intel S5520HC
Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro 600
Memory
24 GB DDR3
Display
24" Samsung LED
Storage
Optical Storage
1x DVD
Casing
Cool Master
PSU
Forgotten
Audio
None
OS

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.