[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yukita

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my synology got some issue :(

intermittently cannot access the dsm and cannot browse thru the shared folder.

did few steps:
1. restart -> no use
2. reset -> no use
3. double reset to reinstall the DSM.
on this step the nas is on lost configuration which is normal. but i cannot install new dsm with error message saying that the file corrupted. i downloaded many times from global or china, all the same ...

haiz... its old version... and out of warranty. maybe its time to change... but then my data :(

sHrike

Reaction score

did few steps:
1. restart -> no use
2. reset -> no use
on this step the nas is on lost configuration which is normal. but i cannot install new dsm with error message saying that the file corrupted. i downloaded many times from global or china, all the same ...

haiz... its old version... and out of warranty. maybe its time to change... but then my data :(
You never back up or u on raid?

Montoya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

did few steps:
1. restart -> no use
2. reset -> no use

Run data scrubbing might fix the corruption?

sHrike

Reaction score
backup the config or the data?
im on raid 5
actually raid is not a form of backup.like now if NAS goes belly up, ur data is gone. very troublesome to recovery. best is just keep a second copy else where.

Montoya

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just received this email after upgrading to DSM5. Not sure if I should be concerned with the disk reconnection count...

Disk 1:
Disk Reconnection Count 0
Bad Sector Count 0
Disk Re-identification Count 0

Disk 2:
Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 3:
Disk Reconnection Count 1963
Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 4:
Bad Sector Count 0

arsene

Reaction score
Just received this email after upgrading to DSM5. Not sure if I should be concerned with the disk reconnection count...

Disk 1:
Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 2:
Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 3:
Disk Reconnection Count 1963
Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 4:
Bad Sector Count 0

I also get the same thing when I upgrade to DSM 5.

eurofunk

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
actually raid is not a form of backup.like now if NAS goes belly up, ur data is gone. very troublesome to recovery. best is just keep a second copy else where.

Meaning to say NAS quite redundant (if the NAS system u lorry) also since best backup is just to keep a seperate copy of files on another set of hdd

sHrike

Reaction score
Meaning to say NAS quite redundant (if the NAS system u lorry) also since best backup is just to keep a seperate copy of files on another set of hdd

NAS usage is for centralized storage you can certainly have 2 NAS but there is the price issue.

keigo22

Reaction score

This is something tha had been discuss and discuss over and over again.

NAS -> Is just a centralize access point

Raid -> Is for system online redundancy to reduce system downtime.

None of these are backup.

Layman -> NAS just like your laptop where u run your application and sharing your folder.

Raid -> having a large HDD space in your laptop and if 1 or 2 HDD die you can still continue to use your laptop.

So if your laptop spoil or more then x HDD spoil you still need to recover from your backup to a new parts.

quekky

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone find dsm5 interface is very slow compare to dsm4.3?
I'm using opera 12

sHrike

Reaction score
My nas always wakes up from hibernation at regular intervals approx 1hr 10min. My hibernation interval is 1 hr. I have tried unplugging the ethernet cable but it still wake up.please help

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It used to be easy to drag and drop files in to the download and file station. However recently i need to do 7-8 times then it will be pasted in the station. Anyones why?

zincate

Reaction score
My nas always wakes up from hibernation at regular intervals approx 1hr 10min. My hibernation interval is 1 hr. I have tried unplugging the ethernet cable but it still wake up.please help

try enabling the hibernation debug mode then check the message log to see which process is waking it up within the 1hr 10mins?

echeong

Master Member
Reaction score
Jin suay. Tried upgrade to dsm 5 but prompted need 4.3. Then upgrade to 4.3 also kena error. Reboot to try again my DS413J juz went dead with blue power led blinking forever without completing. Think the motherboard is dead as I tried unplugging all my drives still the same blinking blue led without competing the boot cycle. KNN... Need to RMA back to Ace peripherals liao. Just bought this only slightly more than 1yr back (receipt says 7 Mar 2013) and it went dead. Just to align with bros here, DS413J is 2yrs warranty rite? Any bros with sexperience RMAing back to Ace Peripherals? What is the procedure like and how fast back huh?

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i have been trying to change the default sync folder for the cloud station for the Mac client but nothing seems to be work .

anyone can advice please ?

Sydney2K

Reaction score
New Products announcements from Synology @ CeBit 2014

PS ~> I will definitely provide some user insights on the new Synology DS214air and EDS14 when the new toys arrived from Synology TW

Appreciate it if you could share more info on the EDS14 when you get hold of it.
Rather unique NAS without internal drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.