[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I could foresee a scenario when you RMA a failed Raid Array drive and it happen so that WD/Seagate decides to "upsize" your replacement drive to a bigger capacity, in that sense you won't get into any issues with Synology SHR by just slotting in the bigger capacity drive.

sometimes it could be some family member's naughty son/daughter visiting your home for CNY/family dinner and happen to see your nice little NAS and itch finger.... :s13:

I keep it in my storeroom where my fiber point, wireless router are, and it is normally close.

mercuryz

Reaction score
Got a question about Data Security.

When it comes to storing personal information on the NAS how do you guys go about doing it? The NAS itself allows for encrypted volumes which can be auto mounted. But if the NAS was accessed while the volume is mounted (Which most times it is) the data could be breached.

I keep a Truecrypt container on the drive which keeps my data, the troublesome bit is decrypting the volume everytime I log unto the computer, there are ways to auto mount and decrypt the volume and dismount when bootup and shutdown but I'm not familiar with the script.

Just wondering how does everyone here deal with their personal data on the NAS?

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The cousin of DS1513+ is DS414+ and DS1513+ has the option to expand, so the tiering is slightly different. Even so the price difference is 200+/- You are probably looking at a very different 4-bays NAS

I wouldn't be too optimistic about "last" purchase, but if you feel some of the data you are willing to delete, you can definitely delay the inevitable. However like Terminator 3, the judgement day will eventually arrives no matter why you do :)

ds414+ haven't release yet right?
only ds412+ now from what I see, the difference from what I see is difference in specs and the esata port. therefore the closest 5bay i still refer to ds1513+ that cost 1k. twice of a DIY solution, I will still consider it if the $400 is worth the bump for 1 extra bay

I'll be waiting till next it show, so there will be some buffer time before deciding. since it is the normal pricing now.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Security and convenience do not co-exist......

It does. 1Password is one such solution. TouchID is another. Yubikey is also one. It depends on what you are asking actually.

There is recent innovation to make security possible without introducing too much complexity. Not all are easy, but people are working on it.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ds414+ haven't release yet right?
only ds412+ now from what I see, the difference from what I see is difference in specs and the esata port. therefore the closest 5bay i still refer to ds1513+ that cost 1k. twice of a DIY solution, I will still consider it if the $400 is worth the bump for 1 extra bay

I'll be waiting till next it show, so there will be some buffer time before deciding. since it is the normal pricing now.

I mistype. I suppose. Are you comparing DS412+ with DS1513+ then ?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got a question about Data Security.

When it comes to storing personal information on the NAS how do you guys go about doing it? The NAS itself allows for encrypted volumes which can be auto mounted. But if the NAS was accessed while the volume is mounted (Which most times it is) the data could be breached.

I keep a Truecrypt container on the drive which keeps my data, the troublesome bit is decrypting the volume everytime I log unto the computer, there are ways to auto mount and decrypt the volume and dismount when bootup and shutdown but I'm not familiar with the script.

Just wondering how does everyone here deal with their personal data on the NAS?

Security comes in multiple level and prevent against different perpetrators. The question is who you are protecting against.

If your objective is to have the key yourself, then obviously you have to be the one decrypting it. If the system can decrypt for you, then why should it even be safe ? Safe is a very subjective terminology too, often solution providers will find a balance between convenience and security.

Suppose if automount by decrypting is possible, what would it be unlocked with and where should the key be stored ? If you don't want to key in password yourself, use something like yubikey. Refer to Disk Encryption with TrueCrypt

mike911

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mistype. I suppose. Are you comparing DS412+ with DS1513+ then ?

I'm comparing it this way.

DS414 (4-Bay) -> DS1513+ (5-Bay) == $450 more

Havent been looking at ds412+ as, it only has better specs than ds414. Other than the support for Expansion Bays.

jovially

Reaction score
Just like to check how u guys store your NAS and router.
Looking for a cabinet to keep all my IT staff with good ventilation.

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

bought a 2 steps bench from ikea, all gadgets on it, keep everything in storeroom.

phayze

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This... Install without the back cover and use angle bar to strengthen it.

RAMSJÖ Wall cabinet with glass door - 40x70 cm - IKEA

ramsjo-wall-cabinet-with-glass-door__0124823_PE281829_S4.JPG

vagus1978

Reaction score
Need advise on network layout regarding NAS

Hey guys! I have 1511+ with upgraded 3gb ram since 2011 and it is running strong on 5 X 2TB WD red. I have been using it for back up, media streaming and torrenting mainly until recently when I added 3 ip-cams to the mix. Now with everything happening at same time, i may detect some slowness in the network. I suspect the bottleneck is when the ip-cams are being recorded 24hrs while media is being stream via just one cat 6 cable through the AC68U router.

my current setup:

Starhub fibre 200mbps
|
|
\/

Asus AC68U ---> Synology 1511+
|
|
\/

HP 16 port unmanaged Gigabit switch
|
|
\/

cat 6 patch panel to the rest of the house

===========================

2X ip cams are wireless-N setup (due to locality constrain, I cannot use the wired function)

1X ip cam is wired

My question will be, is this setup optimized?

I am playing with idea of using Link Aggregation to help with any bottle neck in the network.

My planned new route:

Starhub fibre 200mbps
|
|
\/

Asus AC68U
|
|
\/

Smart Switch with LAG function ====> (LAG)=====>Synology 1511+
|
|
\/

Will this new setup work to relieve bottle neck issues?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have 1511+ with upgraded 3gb ram since 2011 and it is running strong on 5 X 2TB WD red. I have been using it for back up, media streaming and torrenting mainly until recently when I added 3 ip-cams to the mix. Now with everything happening at same time, i may detect some slowness in the network. I suspect the bottleneck is when the ip-cams are being recorded 24hrs while media is being stream via just one cat 6 cable through the AC68U router.

my current setup:

Starhub fibre 200mbps
|
|
\/

Asus AC68U ---> Synology 1511+
|
|
\/

HP 16 port unmanaged Gigabit switch
|
|
\/

2X ip cams are wireless-N setup (due to locality constrain, I cannot use the wired function)

1X ip cam is wired

My question will be, is this setup optimized?

I am playing with idea of using Link Aggregation to help with any bottle neck in the network.

My planned new route:

Starhub fibre 200mbps
|
|
\/

Asus AC68U
|
|
\/

Smart Switch with LAG function ====> (LAG)=====>Synology 1511+
|
|
\/

Will this new setup work to relieve bottle neck issues?

Before you go through the trouble of making any changes, can you identify if there is indeed a bottleneck and where is the bottleneck, is it the CPu or the network. What is the resolution used by all your IP CAMs and what are the bandwidth taken for each of them. You can easily remove all by one and observe the network graph from the web console.

I am skeptical that 3 IP Webcams can take up more than 1Gbps of network traffic. That is quite a lot.

vagus1978

Reaction score
Before you go through the trouble of making any changes, can you identify if there is indeed a bottleneck and where is the bottleneck, is it the CPu or the network. What is the resolution used by all your IP CAMs and what are the bandwidth taken for each of them. You can easily remove all by one and observe the network graph from the web console.

I am skeptical that 3 IP Webcams can take up more than 1Gbps of network traffic. That is quite a lot.

Hmmm you may be right. I checked, when everything else is stopped ie. No media streaming... no torrenting... with just the ip cam running and recording, the traffic on the dsm web console is showing 1.5-2mb/s of recording traffic. Then again, the cpu utilization is not much more than baseline.
could the bottleneck be due to me connecting the synology directly to AC68u? Cos data from wired ip cam goes through the switch through the AC68u before reaching the synology. Whereas media is streamed from synology, through AC68u, through the switch to the rest of the house... heavy to and fro traffic through 1 gbit wire channel...

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmmm you may be right. I checked, when everything else is stopped ie. No media streaming... no torrenting... with just the ip cam running and recording, the traffic on the dsm web console is showing 1.5-2mb/s of recording traffic. Then again, the cpu utilization is not much more than baseline.
could the bottleneck be due to me connecting the synology directly to AC68u? Cos data from wired ip cam goes through the switch through the AC68u before reaching the synology. Whereas media is streamed from synology, through AC68u, through the switch to the rest of the house... heavy to and fro traffic through 1 gbit wire channel...

How do you detect slowness in the network as claimed in your first post ? What did you experience to determine slowness. It might helps if you talk about symptoms instead of your analysis.

vagus1978

Reaction score
How do you detect slowness in the network as claimed in your first post ? What did you experience to determine slowness. It might helps if you talk about symptoms instead of your analysis.
Well, some of the slowness includes:
1) while browsing the files on my NAS, loading official packages such as surveillance station or download station via the DSM web console, there is now a discernable pause or hanging at the laoding page for seconds to minute or 2.

2) viewing of my ip-cam live from outside of home network via ds cam takes longer to load and the refresh rate is super choppy. I know it could be the mobile network or external network factor but it happens across the various type of network I accessed to.

3) when streaming large 1080p or 3d movies ~ 8-10gb files, occasionally I get sporadic jerkiness in the image.

4) when I upload large files or large amount of files to my nas... I notice that the speed picks up when I temporarily disable my ip-cams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.