[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilsontan

Reaction score
Anybody knows how to re-index the files for Video Station?

I have a folder for Movies which now does not update and a tvshow folder which is constantly showing "indexing..." in Settings but never gets updated.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deciding on your need, then you can select the number of bays required:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/getting_started

I started off with a 2-bay ds212j before the current ds414 as my storage need increases.

Synology NAS does not comes with hard disk. WD Red is recommended.

I am new to NAS and looking at both 2-bays and 4-bays and really not sure which to use...most here using how many bays? Does the Synology come with HDD or do I have to purchase it separately? Any hdd to recommend to use if I were to purchase? Sorry for the noob questions..

makav31i

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deciding on your need, then you can select the number of bays required:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/getting_started

I started off with a 2-bay ds212j before the current ds414 as my storage need increases.

Synology NAS does not comes with hard disk. WD Red is recommended.

Thanks for your input...Basically I want to use the NAS to download torrent when I am not at home, I want to be able to stream video, pictures and songs from my NAS both at home and outside, I want to be able to stream video to my chromecast at home..That is the main usage of the NAS...

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Recently i keep having problems connecting to my NAS at home from my notebook in office. Anyone knows what could be the reason/s?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are too many thing in between your NAS at home and accessing from office. Without any info, kinda hard to offer advice.

Recently i keep having problems connecting to my NAS at home from my notebook in office. Anyone knows what could be the reason/s?

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Maybe you can help me list out what should i look for? Thanks for your help.
There are too many thing in between your NAS at home and accessing from office. Without any info, kinda hard to offer advice.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In the past, are you able to access from office? If yes, check if your company changes security suite or firewall setting that result you unable to access?

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes in the past i am able to. However my DS apps also cannot access the NAS at home.

Now back at home and everything is working fine within the Wifi range.
In the past, are you able to access from office? If yes, check if your company changes security suite or firewall setting that result you unable to access?

Topaz8

Master Member
Reaction score
No, DSM does not support exFAT.
Instead, connect your exFAT HDD to your Mac to transfer files to/from the NAS.

Damn! Thanks for the suggestion. I guess this is the only way around this now. Will be slow transferring files this way but no choice.

FxxK! OSX doesn't support NTFS & NAS don't support exFat!!

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
I am new to NAS and looking at both 2-bays and 4-bays and really not sure which to use...most here using how many bays? Does the Synology come with HDD or do I have to purchase it separately? Any hdd to recommend to use if I were to purchase? Sorry for the noob questions..

i start off with D-Link 2 bay, 4 bay then to Synology 5 bay and now using my D-Link as a backup NAS to my Synology.

Does not come with HDD. Will recommend anything but seagate. Personally i am using Toshiba HDD because it is cheap and so far... it is durable enough for my usage pattern (have been using for more than 3 years with no issue)

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

makav31i

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i start off with D-Link 2 bay, 4 bay then to Synology 5 bay and now using my D-Link as a backup NAS to my Synology.

Does not come with HDD. Will recommend anything but seagate. Personally i am using Toshiba HDD because it is cheap and so far... it is durable enough for my usage pattern (have been using for more than 3 years with no issue)

Thank you for your input...I am considering getting DS214Play or DS415Play...or just wait for a refresh of the DS214Play...I think 2 bay would be sufficient for me...

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also use cheap 4x Toshiba 2TB HDDs in my DS414, running in SHR.

...........Personally i am using Toshiba HDD because it is cheap and so far... it is durable enough for my usage pattern (have been using for more than 3 years with no issue)

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DSM 5.0-4528 released.

(2014/10/22)

What’s New
1. This hotfix includes all bug fixes as well as security fixes in the previously released critical updates since DSM 5.0-4458.
2. This hotfix will remove the current known malware on your Synology NAS.

Fixed Issues
1. Fixed two Linux kernel vulnerabilities that could allow local users to cause a denial of service resulting in uncontrolled recursion or unkillable mount process (CVE-2014-5471 and CVE-2014-5472).
2. Fixed one Linux kernel vulnerability that could allow local users to cause a denial of service or possibly gain privileges via a crafted application that triggers a zero count (CVE-2014-0205).
3. Fixed one Linux kernel vulnerability that could allow man-in-the-middle attackers to spoof servers and obtain sensitive information via a crafted certificate (CVE-2014-6657).
4. Fixed one SNMP vulnerability where the improper validation of input could allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CVE-2014-2284).
5. Implemented minor fixes related to the ShellShock Bash vulnerabilities previously addressed in DSM 4493-05 updates (Bash 4.2-51, 4.2-52, and 4.2-53).

Last edited:

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I use my nas to download some BT files. Will my nas Hdd die faster ?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All HDDs will go up lorry eventually. Some have short life while other survive beyond its warranty period and still running fine. A lot depends on brand/type and usage condition.

I use my nas to download some BT files. Will my nas Hdd die faster ?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to run SHR in your 2-bay NAS? If so, get higher capacity HDDs.

Thank you for your input...I am considering getting DS214Play or DS415Play...or just wait for a refresh of the DS214Play...I think 2 bay would be sufficient for me...

makav31i

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Planning to run SHR in your 2-bay NAS? If so, get higher capacity HDDs.

What is the Raid in NAS...sorry, I am a tech idiot...another question, my mother would occasionally off the router when she about to go out and no one is at home...will the NAS be affected by the disconnnection from the internet?

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
What is the Raid in NAS...sorry, I am a tech idiot...another question, my mother would occasionally off the router when she about to go out and no one is at home...will the NAS be affected by the disconnnection from the internet?

Nah
10chars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.