[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys

If I want to do raid 1, do I have to do it immediately or I can use 1 hdd first then add in another one to do raid 1 later?

If u already have 2 disks then do all at the same time. If only got 1, then just choose SHR. When u populate ur 2nd disk, the NAS will auto do RAID1 for u.

Preferably do all at same time, so u got the RAID1 protection ASAP.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine all 4 disks RMAed within 1 week of purchasing, not sure if its becos of a bad batch cos all bought from the same shop at the same time.

My colleagues have been using WD red for a long time too and it did not give him much problems. His disks all survived for many years

How do you change ur HDD? I am told to mail in to some place. Is the postage covered?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If u already have 2 disks then do all at the same time. If only got 1, then just choose SHR. When u populate ur 2nd disk, the NAS will auto do RAID1 for u.

Preferably do all at same time, so u got the RAID1 protection ASAP.

I can only blame myself for using 1 HDD. Now all my data are gone. Although not a major issue, I have to rip my music and movies again from my bluray etc....not fatal but kind of disruptive

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WD RMA centre. The address is printed on the RMA cert. Currently, its in Toa Payoh area.

Called and checked. Apparently can just bring down the HDD. Weird why customer service ask me to mail to them. Lol! Still must do bubble wrap, anti static bag + corrugated box packaging. Siao!

Last edited:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think they write mail in becos it's a template answer. Overseas people wun go to walk in one, cos it could be in another state. SG very small nia, so we can easily walk in.

I have done it 4 times already.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Think they write mail in becos it's a template answer. Overseas people wun go to walk in one, cos it could be in another state. SG very small nia, so we can easily walk in.

I have done it 4 times already.

Can collect on the spot? Or must wait? Sian. Wonder whether it is possible for me to retrieve/ salvage any data? Or gone case?

My synology shows disk crash and then immediately have non stop beeping sound. Kind of refuse to let me do anything. Lol!

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can collect on the spot? Or must wait? Sian. Wonder whether it is possible for me to retrieve/ salvage any data? Or gone case?

My synology shows disk crash and then immediately have non stop beeping sound. Kind of refuse to let me do anything. Lol!

Need to wait for 5 min

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I will say this for one last time.

You will rma non stop with WD RED because it is incompatible with Synology Hibernate mode.

It is obvious that people using WD Red are facing 101 issues and other hdd are less seen in this thread.

Stop promoting it if you know nuts about Synology products. Tsk.

I dont know what we been doing for a long time advising others in this thread to stay away yet they chose to fall into marketing gimmick.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not sure. Some bro said WD red sucks. Mine 1 year already RMA. Really a pain...

You stuborn dont want to listen come here whine. Doesn't make any sense don't you think?

Sorry if i sounded offensive because some people need to be treated harshly to remember it.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
My is 4 bay. I use 2 WD red and 2 Toshiba normal type.

Send my WD red to RMA once, few month after I bought.. I don't turn on my nas 24hour.

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Ya. You can mail to them.. Use courier

Called and checked. Apparently can just bring down the HDD. Weird why customer service ask me to mail to them. Lol! Still must do bubble wrap, anti static bag + corrugated box packaging. Siao!

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Their expensive nas disks
Otherwise the normal 7200rpm toshiba disks will be equally good as well. Value for money and reliable

Hitachi bought over by WD right? Hopefully WD can wake up and improve their design so that they can be as good as Hitachi

delson_tan

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Synology with their LG TV?

I am thinking of getting a NAS, either Asustor or Synology, as currently I am using the LG's SmartShare app on my laptop to watch shows on my TV. But I have to always turn on the laptop and start the app in order for the TV to choose and play the shows.

Can the NAS work the same? I read that some people need to use Plex and this is where Asustor is actually better.

Sorry, I am totally new to this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.