[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Interesting idea. Worthwhile if going offsite backup for sure.

What are you buying then?

I think it comes down to luck, unless there is a particular issue with the recent Reds (apart from SMR issue). Bad batches can happen to anyone. The only thing I feel abit skeptical about now is longevity of helium.

Was looking at Ironwolf but didn't like the idea of higher power consumption and heat, otherwise looks good value.

you can either read the thread in here from page 1
or go Synology communities (if you do not trust the people here).

either way will tell u more.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
also i just realized..

the first 6TB HDD was launched on 2014.

he used it for 8 years? :s22: Sorcery!!! :eek:

Questor

Reaction score
you can either read the thread in here from page 1
or go Synology communities (if you do not trust the people here).

either way will tell u more.

I did read the past 100 pages and didn't see too much negativity against WD Red. Also read Synology site. Hence my question on what was recommended here.

Sorry if I haven't read the rest, and thanks for your input.

also i just realized..

the first 6TB HDD was launched on 2014.

he used it for 8 years? :s22: Sorcery!!! :eek:

Not sure why this matters, but I used the 1812+ for 8 years, and a variety of Red HDD over the period as per my intent to spread the batches. I never stated I used the 6TB for 8 years. If you must know, I bought two of them on 7 Feb 2015.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I did read the past 100 pages and didn't see too much negativity against WD Red. Also read Synology site. Hence my question on what was recommended here.

Sorry if I haven't read the rest, and thanks for your input.

Not sure why this matters, but I used the 1812+ for 8 years, and a variety of Red HDD over the period as per my intent to spread the batches. I never stated I used the 6TB for 8 years. If you must know, I bought two of them on 7 Feb 2015.

if you read the past 100 pages and still cannot see it.. you definitely did not read it.

anyway doesn't matter. I have said my piece.

Last edited:

Questor

Reaction score
if you read the past 100 pages and still cannot see it.. you definitely did not read it.

anyway doesn't matter. I have said my piece.

I saw multiple posts from you on a similar note, and also saw the links you gave to other forums on WD red issues. I also read that you recommended Toshiba as value, or HGST, but asked since it has been some time.

However there were also several users who were using WD Red quite happily as well, so I want to keep a balanced view. The majority of complaints on the other forums are on SMR drives.

Was hoping for a discussion, but thanks for the input anyway.

karloil

Reaction score
I saw multiple posts from you on a similar note, and also saw the links you gave to other forums on WD red issues. I also read that you recommended Toshiba as value, or HGST, but asked since it has been some time.

However there were also several users who were using WD Red quite happily as well, so I want to keep a balanced view. The majority of complaints on the other forums are on SMR drives.

Was hoping for a discussion, but thanks for the input anyway.

Yeah, when I was researching on which HDD to use, some users here did mention to stay away from WD Red - further researching, the culprit is mostly SMR. But others (like you) didn't have any issues as their HDDs were still CMR.

I went for Toshiba (would have gone for UltraStar if not for the cost) as my experience with WD and Seagate over the years were lackluster. I never had a Toshiba or HGST fail on me (yet, and hopefully ever!)

Goodluck with your search! As long as you did your homework, I'm sure you'll make a decision with peace in mind ;)

Questor

Reaction score
Yeah, when I was researching on which HDD to use, some users here did mention to stay away from WD Red - further researching, the culprit is mostly SMR. But others (like you) didn't have any issues as their HDDs were still CMR.

I went for Toshiba (would have gone for UltraStar if not for the cost) as my experience with WD and Seagate over the years were lackluster. I never had a Toshiba or HGST fail on me (yet, and hopefully ever!)

Goodluck with your search! As long as you did your homework, I'm sure you'll make a decision with peace in mind ;)

Thanks for sharing. :) Funnily enough I was surfing around and the price of WD Ultrastar 14TB is cheaper than WD Red 14TB at Storage Studios.

FYI, there is actually a class action lawsuit against Western Digital for using SMR in NAS drives now: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-for-sneaking-smr-disks-into-its-nas-channel/

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. :) Funnily enough I was surfing around and the price of WD Ultrastar 14TB is cheaper than WD Red 14TB at Storage Studios.

FYI, there is actually a class action lawsuit against Western Digital for using SMR in NAS drives now: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-for-sneaking-smr-disks-into-its-nas-channel/

If you are looking for value for money hdd, WD Red is ridiculously expensive considering that it is only like 5900rpm?

For the same amount u can easily get alot of 7200rpm hdd.

A NAS doesn't really need a NAS hdd. Is all marketing gimmick. Regardless what was "said" in their marketing material

existential_reality

Reaction score
You can try the below which is what I do

1. Fwd your Synology ports to your router
2. Link your router to a DNS service of some sort and add Https for security
3. Enable Webdav
4. Map network drive using the path the domain which will link via Webdav

anyone know how to Map Drive Remotely for my laptop?

so my laptop can access my NAS like a drive in explorer when outside with internet connection.

I can only map to my desktop at home.

Questor

Reaction score
If you are looking for value for money hdd, WD Red is ridiculously expensive considering that it is only like 5900rpm?

For the same amount u can easily get alot of 7200rpm hdd.

A NAS doesn't really need a NAS hdd. Is all marketing gimmick. Regardless what was "said" in their marketing material

Honestly I got abit confused reading so many reviews. RPM is only one factor of HDD performance, and Reds are close to the speed of some 7200rpm drives like Ironwolf with a combination of cache and other features.

As someone who came from the old days where there were no NAS drives at all, I feel the features for NAS HDD do help. Previously most of my Seagate Barracuda, Toshiba, and WD Green, Black and RE (enterprise) all failed at some point within 3-5 years if inserted into a NAS (significantly longer years if non-NAS usage) and I remember having to apply firmware fixes to try to resolve some of those issues. Of course, these features may be now incorporated as standard across the board, but I'm not up to date on that.

Anyway, I bought WD Ultrastar 14TB to try since the price was low - lower than WD Red, Ironwolf, and only marginally more than Toshiba N300. Hope they pack it well.

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Honestly I got abit confused reading so many reviews. RPM is only one factor of HDD performance, and Reds are close to the speed of some 7200rpm drives like Ironwolf with a combination of cache and other features.

Unfortunately, it is not.

btw, my Toshiba have clocked more than 50000hrs. Non NAS HDD. I am not saying Toshiba is the right choice but if you mentioned that luck plays a part, wouldn't buying the cheapest or something most value for $ makes more sense? WD Red is neither value for money nor the cheapest.

If it is not too much work, can u u help me understand my curiosity on if your NAS is..
1. 24 x 7?
2. Hibernate on?
3. can show screen capture on the hours clocked together with the model of the disks?

Last edited:

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

As someone who came from the old days where there were no NAS drives at all, I feel the features for NAS HDD do help. Previously most of my Seagate Barracuda, Toshiba, and WD Green, Black and RE (enterprise) all failed at some point within 3-5 years if inserted into a NAS (significantly longer years if non-NAS usage) and I remember having to apply firmware fixes to try to resolve some of those issues. Of course, these features may be now incorporated as standard across the board, but I'm not up to date on that.

Anyway, I bought WD Ultrastar 14TB to try since the price was low - lower than WD Red, Ironwolf, and only marginally more than Toshiba N300. Hope they pack it well.

Wow! 14TB sounds nice. You mentioned price was low, can share how low was that?

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now Synology DS 918+ on Qoo10 is $805. Got $80 coupon for $800 spent. So nett is $725. If you use Qoo10 gift card, you get another $14 off, so it will be $711.

Or via Lazada, Videopro.com selling DS918+ for $739.

Quick grab the coupon now.

VideoPro no stock, in case you get excited 😆

No lah. I would have bought via Qoo10 since the finally price is $711.

coppermine

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone have old faulty DS1511+ for sale? Was looking for one to replace my 80x80x20 fan.

karloil

Reaction score
Anyone have old faulty DS1511+ for sale? Was looking for one to replace my 80x80x20 fan.

Do you think it can fit 80x80x25? Saw a number of people changing thier fans with normal PC fans

Is this a good buy? Apparently Qnap and Asustor has newer versions that supports USB C

Was also looking at Asustor before. Nearly bought it but still went with Synology as I value software stability and maturity versus up to date hardware.

i1magic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I found this :

Toshiba MG06ACA800E 8TB 3.5-In 7200 RPM Enterprise Hard Disk Drive

Selling : $337.05 (Excluding delivery)

Can't really find much info on this drive but based on specs, looks good.

Anybody here use this drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.