[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I trying to access my NAS thru https://find.synology.com/

But my browser keep showing me this message below, may i know why??

This page isn’t working right nowfind.synology.com redirected you too many times.
ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

carrierlim

Reaction score
DONT DONT DONT buy fragile item from lazada.
You will be trying your luck.
I bought 2 N300 8TB @ $308 from lazada and gotten 2 faulty items.
In the end, have to travel to sls to do exchange.
The seller agreed to exchange to seagate ironwolf 8TB @ $360 (meaning I have to top up the balance) as N300 have to wait for another 2-3 weeks.
After that, realised other seller selling as low as 320.. :(

So better just go simlim to find the best price yourself.

existential_reality

Reaction score
Bit of hit and miss perhaps, I got a Seagate Enterprise drive sent in from the states and it works fine, have ordered from Lazada before seller was Storage Studio drives were delivered okay too.

The seller agreed to exchange to seagate ironwolf 8TB @ $360 (meaning I have to top up the balance) as N300 have to wait for another 2-3 weeks.

carrierlim

Reaction score
Bit of hit and miss perhaps, I got a Seagate Enterprise drive sent in from the states and it works fine, have ordered from Lazada before seller was Storage Studio drives were delivered okay too.
since i bought 2 and both faulty. Either I am so "lucky" or the courier service was too rough.

tarui04

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought the hc510... Then I realised I should have gotten the hc330. Cheaper.

Also I bought the 16gb non ecc crucial ram even though it's not on the recommended list

Ramelec

Reaction score
Since I am new to NAS, could i buy different brand of NAS but the harddisk can be from different company right?

For example I can buy a Synology NAS, but fit it with a complete set of WD harddisk or otherwise Seagate Harddisk...

Is my statement correct? Or you need to have a specific brand of NAS to match the specific brand of HDD?

existential_reality

Reaction score
Sounds like a combination of a lousy courier and packing, those drives are rated to take a fair bit of impact (not that we wanna test that). They must have chucked it around to get both damaged :s22:

since i bought 2 and both faulty. Either I am so "lucky" or the courier service was too rough.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Since I am new to NAS, could i buy different brand of NAS but the harddisk can be from different company right?

For example I can buy a Synology NAS, but fit it with a complete set of WD harddisk or otherwise Seagate Harddisk...

Is my statement correct? Or you need to have a specific brand of NAS to match the specific brand of HDD?

yes u can fit with any brand of had + mix and match them.

Is a free world anyway.

dreamer_toons

Master Member
Reaction score
Currently, there is a hard disk degrade alert on 1 of 2 HGST drives in my 716+II. This is the 2nd time it has happened within a month.

The 1st time it occurred was about 2 weeks ago, I attempted a repair and all seemed to be normal. I did a SMART test and no bad sector was detected. Now, the same drive is giving me the same alert.

Managed to backup a copy on external drive and now, attempting another repair. Both are 3TB HGST and bought 3 years+ ago. Their warranties have just passed.

Hopefully, the repaired hard disk can last me till this weekend for me to get an replacement. Meanwhile, I'm considering whether to replace both the hard disks or the degraded ones.

Anyone has experience with Toshiba N300 4TB and Seagate Ironwolf 4TB? The Ironwolf runs slightly slower at about 5900rpm or so while the N300 runs at 7200rpm. Beside the rpm difference, how about their reliability?

katoboy

Reaction score
Hi guy newbie here I just want 2-3 Bay to store my movies and drama series no yet many functions it Synology DS 220J good enough for me or any model to recommend and do synology durable than can last more than 3 years any advise thank.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Currently, there is a hard disk degrade alert on 1 of 2 HGST drives in my 716+II. This is the 2nd time it has happened within a month........

You should have swapped out the faulty drive on the first time instead of wasting time backup and repairing. A dying HDD is going up the lorry soon or later.

Do check the intended HDD to buy is not SMR drive.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guy newbie here I just want 2-3 Bay to store my movies and drama series no yet many functions it Synology DS 220J good enough for me or any model to recommend and do synology durable than can last more than 3 years any advise thank.

DS220J is a good start for newbie. I started with DS212J years ago.

hafiz116

Reaction score

If you are storing data that you can afford to loose then I would get the 2 bay and configure it as RAID0 - one big drive! This is to maximise your storage usage.

IF you are storing sensitive data that you need to have some level of redundancy then the 4 bay is recommended with a minimum of 3 drives loaded. You will then configure for RAID 5 so that there is tolerance for 1 drive going back and being able to be hot swapped replaced.

In terms of durability the Synology NAS is excellent,.. what generally happens is that the drives themselves will go bad over time and typically after the warranty expires as per my personal experience. I have 2 drives fail in my Synology which failed around the 4 year mark.

Last edited:

doomgaze86

Reaction score
Is $1260 at Tradepac the best deal for a DS1819+ right now? My DS1815+ is starting to act up (becomes unreachable after an hour or two of idling) and I think it's out of warranty.

mlmooy

Reaction score

Happened to me too! I bought ironwolf from Lazada. 1 damaged. So I have to head to sls to change. Waste time

Yevin227

Reaction score
Is $1260 at Tradepac the best deal for a DS1819+ right now? My DS1815+ is starting to act up (becomes unreachable after an hour or two of idling) and I think it's out of warranty.

bro, can buy from qoo10 with gift cards and $100 coupon in a few days. thats how i got my 1819+ last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.