[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the NAS having problem, ok can understand. But with the newer model of NAS from Synology, the PSU is external. If even for the RMA of the power adapter need to send back the whole unit just doesn't make sense.

Like what the guy said, NAS is not something that we can just take and go.

I don't agree too but some brands just have a no brain approach what can we do?

existential_reality

Reaction score
Just a word of caution on these, sometimes such drives have no warranty as they were sold as part of a larger system to a customer who took out the drives for resale by another party. Not always the case but its hard to determine actual status until you have the serial number and call Singapore Seagate.

Good deal for Seagate 10TB Ironwolf PRO.

Buy 2 for $780.38 (390.19 Each)

https://www.amazon.sg/Seagate-IronW...:Seagate&rnid=6733559051&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Please delete or pm me to delete if it's a referral link.

alvino

Reaction score
Just a word of caution on these, sometimes such drives have no warranty as they were sold as part of a larger system to a customer who took out the drives for resale by another party. Not always the case but its hard to determine actual status until you have the serial number and call Singapore Seagate.
Even if it’s sold by Amazon directly, not 3rd party seller? His product link states “shipped and sold by Amazon Sg”

existential_reality

Reaction score
Not saying it applies to this listing just more a general caution on what to look out for when buying these from Amazon (I kanna when I bought from Amazon US direct previously).

That said this particular one someone has asked the question and it seems warranty is provided.

Even if it’s sold by Amazon directly, not 3rd party seller? His product link states “shipped and sold by Amazon Sg”

tokenbest

Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently got a DS220J and will be moving in to my new house soon.

Yet to decide on a Fibre service provider so would like to ask if anyone know there will be any issues if i were to select M1 to Myrepublic? Worried that i can't access my own drive etc.

TIA!

Edit: main usage would be Synology Drive so can access files using quickconnect etc. Not expert here so not sure if i need static IP a not

Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i recently got a DS220J and will be moving in to my new house soon.

Yet to decide on a Fibre service provider so would like to ask if anyone know there will be any issues if i were to select M1 to Myrepublic? Worried that i can't access my own drive etc.

TIA!

Edit: main usage would be Synology Drive so can access files using quickconnect etc. Not expert here so not sure if i need static IP a not

no don't need. learn to use DDNS. It's free with Synology. The person telling you a need to have is not accurate.

Last edited:

karloil

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I'm totally wrong. I was thinking of connecting via VPN to your NAS remotely. That's when you need the static IP.

karloil

Reaction score
no too. You don't need that. I used DDNS for my VPN.

Oh got it. Was trying it a few months back and read that I would need Static IP. Need to relearn again if that's the case.

You using the free DDNS from Synology? The one that you need to renew the key every 3 months? Or am I totally lost? If I remember correctly what I was trying to do, I was trying the VPN (Not Quickconnect) way of remote access. Played with Port Forwarding too. In the end I gave up because I'm not even sure if my router was indeed opening the ports or MyRepublic was blocking it. Asked around the MR thread and they said have to pay for Static IP. Just gave up.

Last edited:

clay9477

Reaction score

There are even better deals now. Buy Seagate Expansion Desktop 16TB External Drive and shuck it. Exos 16TB, Seagate Enterprise version, inside based on current US trends. Mileage may vary so try at your own risk.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh got it. Was trying it a few months back and read that I would need Static IP. Need to relearn again if that's the case.

You using the free DDNS from Synology? The one that you need to renew the key every 3 months? Or am I totally lost? If I remember correctly what I was trying to do, I was trying the VPN (Not Quickconnect) way of remote access. Played with Port Forwarding too. In the end I gave up because I'm not even sure if my router was indeed opening the ports or MyRepublic was blocking it. Asked around the MR thread and they said have to pay for Static IP. Just gave up.

I never use QuickConnect at all. Unfortunately the DDNS from Synology requires opening of port 80/443 to renew itself every 3 months i just set a reminder to expose myself. Having said that, it doesn't mean u cant use Quickconnect. Quickconnect is good for people who wants fuss free connectivity with little to not much configurations. VPN on the other hand requires more configuration.

I am using m1 1Gbps @ $39 (non static plan) btw. Last i understand MR blocks port 80. Any telco that blocks port 80 will never be in my shopping cart. I may be inaccurate. There are a lot of ways to obtain free DDNS (no-ip, asus etc) via legit means.

Last edited:

Maximus_XXVIII

Reaction score
Providing some personal inputs on my NAS connectivity.

I'm on Singtel fibre and my NAS is connected behind 2 routers, Singtel's default router and my own ASUS router (don't like the idea of connecting my NAS directly to Singtel's router) both in DHCP mode (Double NAT).

NAS is using Synology's DDNS and connected via Surfshark VPN, no issues connecting to the NAS from outside the network but would require port-forwarding on both routers.

karloil

Reaction score
I never use QuickConnect at all. Unfortunately the DDNS from Synology requires opening of port 80/443 to renew itself every 3 months i just set a reminder to expose myself. Having said that, it doesn't mean u cant use Quickconnect. Quickconnect is good for people who wants fuss free connectivity with little to not much configurations. VPN on the other hand requires more configuration.

I am using m1 1Gbps @ $39 (non static plan) btw. Last i understand MR blocks port 80. Any telco that blocks port 80 will never be in my shopping cart. I may be inaccurate. There are a lot of ways to obtain free DDNS (no-ip, asus etc) via legit means.

Got it. Was not liking QC too, that's why I was pushing for VPN. I was quite in the same track already. I remember what stopped me was that $50 from MR. Maybe I'll give it a go again one of these days and see what happens. Thanks!

karloil

Reaction score

I'm on Singtel fibre and my NAS is connected behind 2 routers, Singtel's default router and my own ASUS router (don't like the idea of connecting my NAS directly to Singtel's router) both in DHCP mode (Double NAT).

NAS is using Synology's DDNS and connected via Surfshark VPN, no issues connecting to the NAS from outside the network but would require port-forwarding on both routers.

Why not just use your own router? Just remove the Singtel router. For my setup, I never used MR's router, I'm just using my own.

I too have Surfshark configured in my NAS, I connect it when needed.

But still have to figure out how to VPN into my network/NAS. :)

existential_reality

Reaction score
I pay for a domain name and get my router to update the IP address to the service provider. (you need to which providers your router supports). For security I also change the default ports on the Synology.

Currently the NAS is connected to the internet via a VPN (for downloading) but there is an option which permits traffic to enter via the IP address (linked to the domain) of the home router.

So this I can dl via vpn but if want to access via the Synology apps I can still do so.

Maximus_XXVIII

Reaction score
Why not just use your own router? Just remove the Singtel router. For my setup, I never used MR's router, I'm just using my own.

Have tried that but wifi signal of 1 router can't reach part of the house.

It's either I buy another router to replace the Singtel router or just use my current setup which serves my current needs.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I believe the vpn we are talking here is different from what you are citing.

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If ASUS router try to use Merlin firmware. At least u can configure OpenVPN to your liking compared to the default asus stock firmware

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.