www.hardwarezone.com.sg

www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Hardware Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/)
-   -   [NAS] Synology NAS owner club! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/%5Bnas%5D-synology-nas-owner-club-4133906.html)

yukita 24-05-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midustouch (Post 76444246)
Which version of vSphere are you getting?

its not getting, but bought.
its VSphere Essential Plus Kit, both for Production and DR Site.
you can refer here:
Compare VMware vSphere Kits for Virtualization & Cloud Computing

quekky 25-05-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukita (Post 76535419)
its not getting, but bought.
its VSphere Essential Plus Kit, both for Production and DR Site.
you can refer here:
Compare VMware vSphere Kits for Virtualization & Cloud Computing

then can do vmotion mah...

midustouch 25-05-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quekky (Post 76537147)

No shared storage = no vmotion.

midustouch 25-05-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukita (Post 76443561)
after discussion with the SI, decided to use internal storage with maybe NAS for "temporary" storage to move files between esxi host :)

will not have any vmotion features... but for DR it will be enough i think.

Essentials Plus does not have storage vmotion.

How does the SI propose to use the Synology as a "temporary" storage to move files between ESXi hosts? Assuming VMFS/NFS is the file system on the NAS.

If you disable DRS or set it to manual, you can actually selectively choose the sequence of and which VM powers up in your DR site in order of priority so that the boot load demand can be controlled.

Which Synology did your company buy in the end?

yukita 25-05-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quekky (Post 76537147)

Yes feature enabled but no shared storage, so cannot do vmotion.

yukita 25-05-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midustouch (Post 76539751)
Essentials Plus does not have storage vmotion.

How does the SI propose to use the Synology as a "temporary" storage to move files between ESXi hosts? Assuming VMFS/NFS is the file system on the NAS.

If you disable DRS or set it to manual, you can actually selectively choose the sequence of and which VM powers up in your DR site in order of priority so that the boot load demand can be controlled.

Which Synology did your company buy in the end?

Currenly already have synology ds 1812+ and need to shutdown the vm in order to move around.

quekky 25-05-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midustouch (Post 76539709)
No shared storage = no vmotion.

no need shared storage to do vmotion with 5.1
I've done it a lot of times liao
http://www.vmware.com/products/datac...e/vmotion.html
vMotion without shared storage requirement, does it have a name? | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

davidktw 25-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quekky (Post 76547104)

Very interesting. Did a search up and found the following. Informal demonstration done by a VMWare Presales Plain Virtualization: vSphere 5.1: vMotion with no Shared Storage

yukita 25-05-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

wah... i see... nice i can try next week... last thrusday just finish install esxi on 3 hosts. havent set the ip yet, as not enough time already pang kang... :D

quekky 25-05-2013 03:37 PM

You'll need to install VC and add the 2 (or more) hosts to the VC.
Then use login to the web in the VC to do the vmotion

You can use trial license or your Essentials Plus, not the free license

halfangmo 25-05-2013 10:09 PM

XBMC

Hi Synology experts,

Would like some help with connecting my DS-413J to XBMC on my desktop. I have followed all the steps (up to 9) in:
NFS - XBMC

Got stuck at step 10. when I type the ssh root command, the command prompt said it was not recognized as an internal or external command.

I can see my diskstation folder in XBMC but it doesnt detect any files in the folder. Any experts can help? Just want to use XBMC to play vid from NAS. Thanks!

midustouch 26-05-2013 03:09 AM

Quote:

Doesn't this have the requirement of storage vmotion?

The blogs are not clear if that's a requirement or not, I can't test essentials plus as I'm not on that SKU.

davidktw 26-05-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfangmo (Post 76557054)
Hi Synology experts,

Would like some help with connecting my DS-413J to XBMC on my desktop. I have followed all the steps (up to 9) in:
NFS - XBMC

Got stuck at step 10. when I type the ssh root command, the command prompt said it was not recognized as an internal or external command.

I can see my diskstation folder in XBMC but it doesnt detect any files in the folder. Any experts can help? Just want to use XBMC to play vid from NAS. Thanks!

I only answer to you for step 10. On windows, you use the Putty software to create a secure channel to you NAS. There is no SSH native to Windows platform.

As for the rest of the XMBC hack, I have no comments. So you can go download the PuTTY ssh client. Google for it.

quekky 26-05-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfangmo (Post 76557054)
Hi Synology experts,

NFS - XBMC

or you can use smb, works on my ipad xbmc...

quekky 26-05-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midustouch (Post 76562948)
Doesn't this have the requirement of storage vmotion?

The blogs are not clear if that's a requirement or not, I can't test essentials plus as I'm not on that SKU.

on the blog he say no need
come to think of it, I've not tried with essential plus yet too... always use trial or standard