HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Like Tree579Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-10-2019, 08:00 AM   #8716
Master Member

Nothing. Check if any bad sectors and rma accordingly. Your data is gone (if you are o. Raid 5) My advise is either subscribe to cloud, buy another hdd or nas to backup.

Raid is not backup.
Last night I click the repair button and this morning there痴 beep alert again.
I login and see my data is back, with
Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

A new HDD of 10TB or greater is required...

Now I digging my ex HDD to copy out whatever I can before getting new HDD later.

I知 not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I知 worried kena blue flashing again...

And any recommendations for cloud storage?
I got approx 4-6TB of photos
LIN_JOEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #8717

Friend of my recommended amazon cloud, caveat here was the cost of the cloud increase exponentially post the grace period (kind of duh I gue

If your only storing say 6 - 10 TB of data maybe it be more cost efficient to have 2 x 10TB and do a Raid 0?

Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

Now I digging my ex HDD to copy out whatever I can before getting new HDD later.

I知 not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I知 worried kena blue flashing again...

existential_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #8718
Master Member

Friend of my recommended amazon cloud, caveat here was the cost of the cloud increase exponentially post the grace period (kind of duh I gue

If your only storing say 6 - 10 TB of data maybe it be more cost efficient to have 2 x 10TB and do a Raid 0?
2 x 10TB raid I will need an enclosure right if I知 using laptop.
Am I able to transfer data out into 1 10TB and buy another 10TB as a raid setup at a later time due to budget. Will it arrest my data when I doing raid at a later stage?

Currently trying to keep my budget low as past 2 months having high expenses on medical bills..
Old 16-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #8719

Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

Eh... so your Storage Pool consists of which HDDs ah? How come Disk 1:6TB not in use? And are you on SHR/RAID0/RAID5?

If the 2x10TBs the only ones in your Storage Pool... u can take out the 6TB HDD to attach to the USB port and copy your 4-6TB of photos there.
voux00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #8720

I知 thinking to set up a shared network of about 3 laptops with a Synology NAS. Files on the NAS will be shared among these 3 laptops only.

However, there will be no internet access for this network, the NAS and laptops will be connected to a router.

Is the NAS able to work without internet access?
Yes, the NAS can work without Internet access and just be your file server. You can mount the shared folder as a network drive on the laptops for the 3 laptop users to share files between. You can allocate individual folders to them too, for files not to be shared with the other 2.

But for future DSM & package updates, you'll have to download to the laptops elsewhere first then update the NAS that way.
Old 16-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #8721
Master Member

Sorry for the wrong info, it’s DS916+ with 2 * 6TB & 2 * 8TB.
All HGST drives.

I started with 2* 6TB and added 2* 8TB like 2 years ago.
Now inside the NAS only #2 & #3 detected as in use (blue colorinstead of all 4.
#1 showing unused drive (green color box)
#4 showing crashed (Red color box)

Volume degraded
Pool storage degraded
Old 16-10-2019, 04:23 PM   #8722

If you copy out the data into a drive I believe you still need to have 2 empty 10 TB to setup a Raid 0 volume. The system will wipe both drives when it setups the Raid 0 volume.

I had a USB Raid enclosure last time under Stardom brand, I recall that enclosure allowed me to copy contents of a existing drive into the secondary one when the volume was setup. But this will increase cost.

To simplify if your others drives are fine (check SMART) maybe just replace the broken drive and rebuild the volume? Or you can copy the data into the unused 6TB drive and use the remaining two drives working to create a Raid 0 and copy the contents back into it?

Am I able to transfer data out into 1 10TB and buy another 10TB as a raid setup at a later time due to budget. Will it arrest my data when I doing raid at a later stage?

Currently trying to keep my budget low as past 2 months having high expenses on medical bills..
existential_reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #8723
Master Member

Yes, the NAS can work without Internet access and just be your file server. You can mount the shared folder as a network drive on the laptops for the 3 laptop users to share files between. You can allocate individual folders to them too, for files not to be shared with the other 2.

But for future DSM & package updates, you'll have to download to the laptops elsewhere first then update the NAS that way.
Thanks for the information.

On a separate note, I read that Synology NAS can act as a DHCP server and in this case, can I just create a network with a Switch connecting the 3 laptops and the NAS?
Processor
Intel i7 8700K | Corsair H100iV2
Mainboard
MSI Z370M Gaming Pro AC
Graphics Card
ROG STRIX GTX1080TI OC Gaming
Memory
G.Skill TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz CL14
Display
Predator X34P
Storage
950 Pro 512GB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB | Plextor M5Pro 256GB
Casing
Corsair Carbide 275R
PSU
Corsair HX1000i
Audio
Harman Kardon SB26
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

dreamer_toons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #8724

On a separate note, I read that Synology NAS can act as a DHCP server and in this case, can I just create a network with a Switch connecting the 3 laptops and the NAS?
Sorry, haven't tried it before. But I guess theoretically, yes you can.
Old 21-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #8725
Arch-Supremacy Member

Depends on the HDD configuration you are going for. I compared 6tb x3 with the NAS still cheaper than stacking coupon and CC rebates from lazada paying cash.
plan to change my ds213 to 918+
Processor
iMac
Display
27inch
Storage
1TB
OS
Lion

chercm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 04:23 AM   #8726
Master Member

Backblaze is a cheaper alternative and its not the B2 storage but normal backup service.
Hafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #8727
Arch-Supremacy Member

Last night I click the repair button and this morning there’s beep alert again.
Disk 1(6TB) not in use
Disk 2 (10TB)
Disk 3 (10TB)
Disk 4 (1TB) Crashed

I’m not familiar with it, should I just copy out everything or insert and replace the crash HDD for it to run again. I’m worried kena blue flashing again...

1. recomemnd to back up.
2. you can always click a s3 or azure storage to use for 1mth.. set it up, transfer everything into it... (free 1st mth)... do whatever u need to do with your NAS, transfer it back - delete the account

Edit: try Azure (guarantee will work because of the USD200 credit) unlike the stingy AWS.
LIN_JOEL likes this.

Last edited by batniss; 23-10-2019 at 11:55 PM..
Processor
Intelョ Core2 Duo Processor E4600
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
High Definition 6-channel audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #8728
Arch-Supremacy Member

yes u could.
LIN_JOEL likes this.
Processor
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

Old 23-10-2019, 10:40 PM   #8729
Arch-Supremacy Member

yes u can.
Processor
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

Old 23-10-2019, 10:53 PM   #8730
Arch-Supremacy Member

1. recomemnd to back up.
2. you can always click a s3 or azure storage to use for 1mth.. set it up, transfer everything into it... (free 1st mth)... do whatever u need to do with your NAS, transfer it back - delete the account
AWS S3 is not free one month. There is AWS free web tier which includes S3 but there is a limit. Transfer out of AWS will have fee once it exceed the free web tier limit. Read up the AWS free web tier to be certain of the cost. Use the AWS calculator for clarity
Processor
2x E5520
Mainboard
Intel S5520HC
Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro 600
Memory
24 GB DDR3
Display
24" Samsung LED
Storage
4x DW Velociraptor on HPT 4310 H/W RAID
Optical Storage
1x DVD
Casing
Cool Master
PSU
Forgotten
Audio
None
OS
Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise

davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.