HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Like Tree624Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-09-2020, 12:18 AM   #9571
Arch-Supremacy Member

u use nas to store simi?
Anything. If you need to ask this, you probably have no use case for one.
Processor
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4600
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
High Definition 6-channel audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

batniss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 12:20 AM   #9572
Supremacy Member

No insert properly then
most likely that's the case ba.. but i reseat a lot of times beforehand though..

nvm, at least now working ok can liao.
Processor
Intel Core i5-4440 / Coolermaster Hyper 212x
Mainboard
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
Graphics Card
Gigabyte GTX970 Windforce
Memory
Kingston value RAM DDR3 1600MHz 4GB x2
Display
Dell UltraSharp U2415
Storage
Plextor M5 Pro Extreme 128GB / WD Green 640GB
Casing
Sharkoon T28
PSU
Superflower Leadex Gold 650W
Audio
Creative Gigaworks T3
OS
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

sacredrays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 06:44 AM   #9573

My 214+ fills up for the 4tb cause I did time lapse at overseas (hobby, not pro). Then I saw 1819+ with 4x 8tb going cheap, just went ahead. I hardly use the nas features as I am just to protect my photos/videos. Now to get a capture card for DV tapes, maybe add 4x 12tb when price is right.
Processor
AMD 3900x
Mainboard
MSI B450 TH Max
Graphics Card
Galax 2070 Super
Memory
32GB
Display
Dell U3415W
Storage
1.75 TB SSD, 2TB HDD
Optical Storage
Asus 24X
Casing
SilverStone TJ11
PSU
SeaSonic 1000W Platinium
Audio
On Board
OS
Win10 64 bits home

p2311967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 03:09 PM   #9574

Thumbs down Warranty Troubles with MediaPro Technology

Sharing

I got my DS918+ a year ago from MediaPro Technology. The power-brick is dead, I went for RMA they told me for the warranty to take place, I will have to send in my NAS too. Mind you, the NAS is not a piece of hardware where one can hand-carry easily. The RMA requires up to 3 months to be RMAed and I have to go back to SLS to collect it.

I am just sharing with any potential customers who are trying to get from this shop or even Synology. They should have been upfront and I would have stayed away from it.

I have checked with Synology directly and they told me to follow the distributor procedure.

I don't think my next NAS would be a Synology. I have decided to buy a power-brick over warranty claims and save myself the three months absence of my NAS.
PlayCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #9575

Bcos ur previous post, u put 2 Yes and 1 No thats y i confuse... Hahahaha

Anyway thanks for the reply and sorry for the noob questions. Newbie here tats y.. 😅 Been researching abt Nas from Youtube and found out there are so many different models to choose from and different user needs till i got headache 😂... Also the cost also quite high. After much thinking, most probably i will go for 4 bay Nas but just getting two HDD first then in future will upgrade the storage
Actually, to play safe, go with SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) for your RAID configuration. Then you will have less worries about growing your HDDs later on.
Mainboard
Asus P5Q
Graphics Card
Powercolor 4870 PCS
Memory
4 x 2GB Crucial Tracer
Display
Dell 2311 x 2
Storage
Intel SSD 80GB
Optical Storage
LG H62N
Casing
Antec P182
PSU
Thermaltake Tough Power 750W
Audio
SoundBlaster Audigy 2
OS
Windows 7 64bit

DiscMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:22 PM   #9576

Sharing

I got my DS918+ a year ago from MediaPro Technology. The power-brick is dead, I went for RMA they told me for the warranty to take place, I will have to send in my NAS too. Mind you, the NAS is not a piece of hardware where one can hand-carry easily. The RMA requires up to 3 months to be RMAed and I have to go back to SLS to collect it.

I am just sharing with any potential customers who are trying to get from this shop or even Synology. They should have been upfront and I would have stayed away from it.

I have checked with Synology directly and they told me to follow the distributor procedure.

I don't think my next NAS would be a Synology. I have decided to buy a power-brick over warranty claims and save myself the three months absence of my NAS.
That is a load of bull! Never use brain to think before talking. I am referring to MediaPro.

Even more dumber for Synology to agree with distributor's assessment.

Unfortunately, Synology DSM is one of the best out there to manage. I'm fortunate never have to deal with such stupidity.

Still using my DS411+ after so many donkey years. Also have the DS1618+, which is a joy to use.
kamsani0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #9577
Arch-Supremacy Member

That is a load of bull! Never use brain to think before talking. I am referring to MediaPro.

Even more dumber for Synology to agree with distributor's assessment.

Unfortunately, Synology DSM is one of the best out there to manage. I'm fortunate never have to deal with such stupidity.

Still using my DS411+ after so many donkey years. Also have the DS1618+, which is a joy to use.
You really don't need Synology to enjoy Synology.

https://nascompares.com/2018/09/27/x...tom-built-nas/
Processor
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

Old 29-09-2020, 05:32 PM   #9578

Didn't know that it is possible. But so far i stand by Synology for its hardware durability. Until they decide to screw that up, and some other manufacturer will come along and make a better price/performance piece of hardware.
kamsani0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:37 AM   #9579

DS1819+ or DS1817, if mainly storage and backup

Would like to poll opinions.

If using mainly for storage and backup of many computers (media and video production house), will a 1817 with 10Gbe be a better choice (future proofing) than a 1819+?

the 1819+ can go up to 10Gbe but will require an additional NIC.

alternative is the new 1621xs, but the price is almost double

with an impending network upgrade to 10Gbps, so the 1817 does seem to make more sense.
(the 1817 is discontinued, but still available on special order)

with a network upgrade, editing off the NAS may be more feasible, which will be a plus point with multiple persons editing it. transcoding may not be an issue too as the editors will play it on their own computers.

my question is, apart from the older tech, and weaker CPU (may not be a factor since it's only for storage and backup), which would you choose, and why?

thanks!
loganrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:56 AM   #9580
Arch-Supremacy Member

Would like to poll opinions.

If using mainly for storage and backup of many computers (media and video production house), will a 1817 with 10Gbe be a better choice (future proofing) than a 1819+?

the 1819+ can go up to 10Gbe but will require an additional NIC.

alternative is the new 1621xs, but the price is almost double

with an impending network upgrade to 10Gbps, so the 1817 does seem to make more sense.
(the 1817 is discontinued, but still available on special order)

with a network upgrade, editing off the NAS may be more feasible, which will be a plus point with multiple persons editing it. transcoding may not be an issue too as the editors will play it on their own computers.

my question is, apart from the older tech, and weaker CPU (may not be a factor since it's only for storage and backup), which would you choose, and why?

thanks!
editing off the NAS is not feasible. lack GPU, weak CPU. ur editing will crawl regardless of the network speed. Ask yourself if you really need a 10GbE pipe. I will choose stronger CPU (because you cannot change this easily)
Processor
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

Old 01-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #9581

editing off the NAS is not feasible. lack GPU, weak CPU. ur editing will crawl regardless of the network speed. Ask yourself if you really need a 10GbE pipe. I will choose stronger CPU (because you cannot change this easily)
ah, to clarify, "edit off the nas" means, the editing is done on the workstation, but the files still reside on the nas, so there will be a lot of network access with intermediate saving of scratch files, work-in-progress. a 10Gbe network will help in this case.

the current practice is to copy files onto the workstation, edit it locally, then rename edited file, upload edited file back onto the server. The problem is, the users often forget to:
a. rename file to reflect new version, and/or,
b. forget to upload file, and later someone else edits off the previous version

i know the ideal is to have some sort of DMS with versioning, check in/out, but sme.......

trying to reduce the steps and make the process as simple as possible - these are media folks, vaguely aware of backup, but it's seen as unimportant and not urgent, until the need to restore arises......

since it's only storage and nightly backups, hence considering the possible advantages of of having dual 10Gbe ports (possibility of bonding for better concurrent access) vs a weaker CPU.
loganrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #9582

Question Looking for who can recover Synology NAS HDD

Hi, i am looking for someone who can recover the data inside one of my Synology hdd.

Below are the details.
DS414, currently running on DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
HDD to recover is a 3TB Sata.

What happened:
A few years ago, my NAS HDD was set up with 3 x HDD with SHR, and 1 x HDD stand alone. A total of 4 x 3TB HDD installed in the 4 bay NAS.
2 volumes were created. Volume1 for the SHR, and Volume2 for Stand Alone.

Then i upgraded all my HDD to 4TB with SHR.
For the 1 x 3TB stand alone, with my little knowledge, i thought i can use it like a USB HDD and access from windows pc. But i am not able to. And i have no means to boot this stand alone HDD because the 4 x 4TB are already running.

I have tried with 3rd party recovery software for the stand alone HDD but was not able to. Also realised that although its a stand alone HDD, internally it was partitioned into 3 partitions. Working similar to a RAID5 or SHR but on a single HDD.

I am seeking someone who can assist me with this, at an agreed amount for the recovery service. Please PM me here or my Telegram @Paladin_a.

Thank you!

Regards,
Palvin
palvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #9583
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, i am looking for someone who can recover the data inside one of my Synology hdd.

Below are the details.

What happened:
A few years ago, my NAS HDD was set up with 3 x HDD with SHR, and 1 x HDD stand alone. A total of 4 x 3TB HDD installed in the 4 bay NAS.

For the 1 x 3TB stand alone, with my little knowledge, i thought i can use it like a USB HDD and access from windows pc. But i am not able to. And i have no means to boot this stand alone HDD because the 4 x 4TB are already running.

I have tried with 3rd party recovery software for the stand alone HDD but was not able to. Also realised that although its a stand alone HDD, internally it was partitioned into 3 partitions. Working similar to a RAID5 or SHR but on a single HDD.

I am seeking someone who can assist me with this, at an agreed amount for the recovery service. Please PM me here or my Telegram @Paladin_a.

Thank you!

Regards,
Palvin
Data Recovery Services
http://www.accplus.com.sg/
http://www.adrc.com.sg/
http://www.datasavers.com.sg/
Processor
R5 3600/R5 1600X
Mainboard
Asrock X570 Steel Legend/Asrock X370 Gaming K4
Graphics Card
PowerColor RX570 8GB/Palit GTX1050Ti 4GB
Memory
G.Skill Sniper 16GB/Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
Display
Dell U2719D/Dell U2719D
Storage
Adata XPG SX8200 512GB SSD, 480GB SSD/Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD, 500GB SSD/DS418 4x 2TB Toshiba HDD
Casing
Lian Li PC-7FNW/PC-7NWX
PSU
SuperFlower Leadex II Gold 650W/Seasonic Prime Platinum 650W
Audio
Creative SB AE-5/SB AE-5

jtjt00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #9584

Thumbs up

Data Recovery Services
Thank you for your recommendations bro! Datasavers looks good!
palvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:42 AM   #9585
Arch-Supremacy Member

Below are the details.

What happened:

Thank you!

Regards,
Palvin
Single hdd but partition like a raid? When u connect to windows did it tell u the hdd format type?
Processor
Mainboard
Irvine-GL6E
Graphics Card
Intel HD
Memory
4096MB DDR2
Display
Acer Predator X34A
Storage
Casing
S3380D HomePC
Audio
OS
Windows 10 Home SL

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.