[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zennith

Reaction score
New DS213J owner...... waiting 10 mins for it to complete installation..... currently only using one bay.... trick part... I have a HDD from my broken desktop where all my data is..... how do I transfer to the NAS?

If I insert the 2nd HDD, will it reformat?

Trust me. Dont insert the 2nd disk into the NAS. :D
What you will need:
a docking station so that the disk can read by a PC/laptop/NAS
Once its links up and the disk is readable, you could transfer your data.
how to transfer:
1. if this docking station is connected to window, you will need to access to NAS directory via SMB mapping and *** your data in. Transfer done by window machine via network into the NAS.
2. if the docking station directly connected to the NAS, Transfer via File Station:) Transfer progress done by NAS at background without using your window resources.

If you are not that sure on how to do, its better you call up the shop or disty where you bought the NAS from for helps. :)

zennith

Reaction score
New member to Synology! :D Bought a DS213 Air.

I'm quite new to NAS technology, so pardon my Noob-ness

I have some questions how any bros/sisters could help!

I was wondering, should I schedule a shut down say during the wee hours (as there wont be anyone using it) of the night and Wake on LAN when needed?

And if I were to use a 3 year old Netbook as XBMC, I notice videos of 1080p quality will be "lag". Is it because of the Netbook rendering/buffering the video (netbook is connected via Wireless LAN) ?

The sales person told me that if I were to upgrade my NAS storage, I have to purchase the same brand and capacity, is that true?

That Sales Person tried to "dig" your pocket :s27: hahaha~
You could schedule a shutdown from the NAS. You will need to set it. wake on lan request can be set as well. its all under "Control panel>hardware>power schedule" options, path given based on DSM4.3 :)

DLNA features, XBMC. "lag" issues may fall to NAS setting or your network environment. Double check first on these 2 factors, if is ok to play at another machine, eg: media player form another laptop smoothly. means your wifi and DLNA is working fine. then its time to change your netbook :s13:

Its really depends on how you want to "upgrade".
Upgrading your NAS hardware or just to upgrade the Drives ?

Last edited:

zennith

Reaction score
Yup installed. The new user helping and discovering together.:)

Check list:
NAS having DSM 4.3
Package Center checks Video Station is it updated
PlayStore or Appstore, mobile apps Video Station is it updated

internal access or external access
suggestion, put your url like this "hostname:5000" or "IP:5000"

tried to plays it. see whether the connections still drops

zennith

Reaction score
The file system is transparent to end users. It will work with your windows and osx. I have a mixture of os at home too.

You should be more concern about the type of raid to setup - classic raid 0/1/5/etc or SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid) or JBOD.

@Akiden,
Shadowandy is correct. Synology DSM is a linux OS, it transparent for windows or OSx users.

With DSM4.3, mac formatted drive, HFS+ is supported, meaning NAS now can read HFS+ portable disk. Which I think is a good enhancement.

Lg_2113

Reaction score
Thanks zennith!

:eek:

Really? dig my pocket? :(

Cuz 213J has better ram? >.<

and for the 2nd question, yeap, i tested on my mobile phone, it works like a charm. Its more like the netbook specs are not powerful enuff.

Upgrade is the Drives only, right now is 2TB, say a few years down the road I want to up it to 4TB

That Sales Person tried to "dig" your pocket :s27: hahaha~
You could schedule a shutdown from the NAS. You will need to set it. wake on lan request can be set as well. its all under "Control panel>hardware>power schedule" options, path given based on DSM4.3 :)

DLNA features, XBMC. "lag" issues may fall to NAS setting or your network environment. Double check first on these 2 factors, if is ok to play at another machine, eg: media player form another laptop smoothly. means your wifi and DLNA is working fine. then its time to change your netbook :s13:

Its really depends on how you want to "upgrade".
Upgrading your NAS hardware or just to upgrade the Drives ?

chercm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting My Book Duo Live but after reading this thread feel like getting ds213j with 2 x 3TB WD Red instead ;p

Problem is I'll have to get down with some manual installation & formatting work with synology.
I have a mixture of Win & OSX at home.
Which file system should I use to format the hdd?

i plug in the hard disk and it formatted itself

i just enabled the Windows and MAC sharing that all and all worked by itself

romanohairi

Reaction score
Trust me. Dont insert the 2nd disk into the NAS. :D
What you will need:
a docking station so that the disk can read by a PC/laptop/NAS
Once its links up and the disk is readable, you could transfer your data.
how to transfer:
1. if this docking station is connected to window, you will need to access to NAS directory via SMB mapping and *** your data in. Transfer done by window machine via network into the NAS.
2. if the docking station directly connected to the NAS, Transfer via File Station:) Transfer progress done by NAS at background without using your window resources.

If you are not that sure on how to do, its better you call up the shop or disty where you bought the NAS from for helps. :)

Thanks for the advice.... Now just installing my 1st HDD.... installaing and configuration takes awhile.... I think i go and sleep and check on it tomorrow for it to be done...

zennith

Reaction score
Thanks zennith!

:eek:

Really? dig my pocket? :(

Cuz 213J has better ram? >.<

and for the 2nd question, yeap, i tested on my mobile phone, it works like a charm. Its more like the netbook specs are not powerful enuff.

Upgrade is the Drives only, right now is 2TB, say a few years down the road I want to up it to 4TB

Since you have no issues with mobile, then it should be the netbook then~
upgrade for drives, you would need to replace it one by one. wait for it to rebuild~ then repeat on another disks.

Somehow must check your current NAS whether can support 4TB, like mine, I have a DS207 which cannot support . T.T end up buying another NAS DS1813+ for my Video Bank.. :D

sgCareerMan

Reaction score
only 100Mbps on D213J

Bought D213J today from Comex at 247.

Notice a very slow transfer speed and check the connection which show the below image.

D213J is connected with cat 5e cable directly to router ASUS RTN12C (DD-WRT). RTN12C has gigabit Ethernet.

evd6.jpg

Can any pro assist how can i change it to 1000 Mbps ?
Tried changing a few different cat 5e cable already and restart the NAS a few times and it still does not work.

zennith

Reaction score

Notice a very slow transfer speed and check the connection which show the below image.

D213J is connected with cat 5e cable directly to router ASUS RTN12C (DD-WRT). RTN12C has gigabit Ethernet.

evd6.jpg

Tried changing a few different cat 5e cable already and restart the NAS a few times and it still does not work.

OMG. you still have a 100Mbps networks - router :eek:
you require a Gigabit Switch to make the NAS go GIGA. if not, just change/upgrade the router :)

Its not the NAS issues. Its your network switch/router issues.

netti

Reaction score

evd6.jpg

According to Asus site, RTN12C is not gigabit router. I think you may have made a mistake. So if upgrade to gigabit router, it should read 1000 Mbps.

sgCareerMan

Reaction score
According to Asus site, RTN12C is not gigabit router. I think you may have made a mistake. So if upgrade to gigabit router, it should read 1000 Mbps.

Oic. I always tot RTN12C is gigabit router. Thanks for identifying this error. Got to head to Comex again tomorrow. lolx

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating between getting a NAS or another external HDD.

Can share with me what you guys store in the NAS?
I was thinking just storing videos, photos and mp3s over in the NAS. Will it be alright if I point my itunes mp3 location to the NAS and play from the NAS?

Also, I was wondering if it's possible to install small programs on the NAS and run from there?

akiden

Reaction score
@Akiden,
Shadowandy is correct. Synology DSM is a linux OS, it transparent for windows or OSx users.

With DSM4.3, mac formatted drive, HFS+ is supported, meaning NAS now can read HFS+ portable disk. Which I think is a good enhancement.

Thanks, zennith & shadowandy.
I think I'm pretty much set on getting the ds213j tomorrow evening. Hope there'll still be stock left in the evening.

To the guys who just bought the 213j, any idea how much it will cost me together with 2 x 3tb wd red or seagate nas hdd?

Last edited:

blazerflamer

Reaction score
just bought my synology ds213j, cannot even turn on? DOA? the power adapter got no light, there's current when i the 3 pin female goes into the adapter, but nothing turns on when i press the power button.

Tried various power points and power cable but no light on the adapter.

Very disappointed...

Last edited:

Vulpix

Reaction score
just bought my synology ds213j, cannot even turn on? DOA? the power adapter got no light, there's current when i the 3 pin female goes into the adapter, but nothing turns on when i press the power button.

Tried various power points and power cable but no light on the adapter.

Very disappointed...

Bad luck lor. Sometimes stuff happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.