www.hardwarezone.com.sg


www.hardwarezone.com.sg (/)
-   Hardware Clinic (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/)
-   -   [NAS] Synology NAS owner club! (https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/hardware-clinic-2/%5Bnas%5D-synology-nas-owner-club-4133906.html)

Vulpix 11-03-2013 11:17 AM

[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!
 
Do you own a 2 bay, 4 bay, or maybe even an 8 bay Synology NAS? Come post here and share your thoughts, or help out other Synology NAS owners here! I'll post some useful tips every once in a while as long time permits.

What CPU does my Synology NAS have? http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index...es_my_NAS_have

For now, you guys do know your NAS got this awesome cloud function right? Go read up here: Synology Network Attached Storage - How to use Cloud Station to sync fil...

You can also mount ISO images this way: How to mount and use virtual disc fi... - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

Let's not forget the awesome amount of Synology apps for Android phones here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d=Synology+Inc.

noobzpro 11-03-2013 11:22 AM

hi i see many people buying nas now. i would like to know under wat circumstances would one want a nas? can it like work on a tv for movies? how fast is the transfer speed?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobzpro (Post 74617371)
hi i see many people buying nas now. i would like to know under wat circumstances would one want a nas? can it like work on a tv for movies? how fast is the transfer speed?

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...n-4071349.html

Recommend you ask here instead. You usually want a NAS to store data and stuff, and still want a level of protection that can be gained via the use of RAID or a similar system.

twitism 11-03-2013 11:41 AM

just gotten a 413J with 4 x 4TB from the IT show...

it's currently formatting the drive right now.. i think a little more than 15 hours more to go? :s13:

1st time having a NAS, hope to learn more here!

Chys 11-03-2013 11:41 AM

Am a proud DNS-320 upgraded to DS-212j owner!

chao_turban 11-03-2013 11:59 AM

Shld invest in a better eth cable or use the stock cable?
Any advise? I suppose SLS or SLT got sell the cables right?

xiangqin76 11-03-2013 12:05 PM

Me just got a 1812+ with 8pcs 3tb Red WD from MW SLS. I did a Raid 5 with 1 vol.

But my friends advise me to create 2 volumes instead as it is safer and will have faster recover if any HDD spoils... Is it true?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chao_turban (Post 74618213)
Shld invest in a better eth cable or use the stock cable?
Any advise? I suppose SLS or SLT got sell the cables right?

Just make sure you get from a reputable place when you buying cat5e cables. No need expensive or what, just make sure they don't sell you fake cat5e cables, because it does affect your speeds.

Vulpix 11-03-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xiangqin76 (Post 74618310)
Me just got a 1812+ with 8pcs 3tb Red WD from MW SLS. I did a Raid 5 with 1 vol.

But my friends advise me to create 2 volumes instead as it is safer and will have faster recover if any HDD spoils... Is it true?

I agree with your friend. 6:2 is a safer ratio. 7:1 is quite risky since you can afford to have only 1 fail. If 6:2 at least you still can survive with 2 failed drives.

chengsun 11-03-2013 12:21 PM

I see many wuluilang here!

trashley 11-03-2013 12:30 PM

just got a DS213. no time to get hdd yet.

NAS newbie. here to learn!

was using a AEBS+hdd previously, dont know if its considered to be the same thing but it allows me to have a shared drive over my network.

yukita 11-03-2013 12:35 PM

im on synology DS 411J with 4x3TB Seagate HDD.

Ender 11-03-2013 12:35 PM

Just gotten the 413j. A newbie too. What raid config would be suitable for my usage to store movies? I want to maximize capacity and at the same time have some safety net in case one drive fail..

Vulpix 11-03-2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 74619107)
Just gotten the 413j. A newbie too. What raid config would be suitable for my usage to store movies? I want to maximize capacity and at the same time have some safety net in case one drive fail..

3:1 is sufficient. One drive fail still can scramble to buy a new replacement. I tio 2 drive fail before, heng still got way to backup, but damn mafan. :(

Anything_Whatever 11-03-2013 12:49 PM

Hi there Vulpix and Synlogy pals,

Got myself a 413j and 4 pc RED 3TB harddisks at IT fair.

Still haven't settle down to open up the boxes...

What Raid would you recommend? newbie here...

TIA
Benjamin

Vulpix 11-03-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anything_Whatever (Post 74619464)
Hi there Vulpix and Synlogy pals,

Got myself a 413j and 4 pc RED 3TB harddisks at IT fair.

Still haven't settle down to open up the boxes...

What Raid would you recommend? newbie here...

TIA
Benjamin

If you are a newbie just select SHR, let Synology handle for you.

Aegis 11-03-2013 01:07 PM

Depends on redundancy vs performance needs. Sensitive data probably SHR-2 or RAID 6, can tahan 2 disk fail. OW SHR or RAID 5. Need speed and non-critical data then RAID 0. Idiot proof just use SHR-1 should be ok for most users.

noobzpro 11-03-2013 01:09 PM

hmmm im curious is synology like the best in the market??? how isit compared to qnap

Aegis 11-03-2013 01:09 PM

Can we add some additional infomation on how to access your NAS online as well, I'm struggling with that. Keeps telling me I need to switch on webdav, but I already on liao.

Aegis 11-03-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobzpro (Post 74619915)
hmmm im curious is synology like the best in the market??? how isit compared to qnap

I chose it mainly because of software, supposed to be one of the better ones on the market.

Vulpix 11-03-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74619881)
Depends on redundancy vs performance needs. Sensitive data probably SHR-2 or RAID 6, can tahan 2 disk fail. OW SHR or RAID 5. Need speed and non-critical data then RAID 0. Idiot proof just use SHR-1 should be ok for most users.

My own ratio is:
Running:Redundant
3:1
4:2
6:2

Vulpix 11-03-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74619922)
Can we add some additional infomation on how to access your NAS online as well, I'm struggling with that. Keeps telling me I need to switch on webdav, but I already on liao.

What guide are you using? Link the guide, I see if there are any steps that is missing.

Aegis 11-03-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74620236)
What guide are you using? Link the guide, I see if there are any steps that is missing.

Using
How to access my Synology NAS via th... - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

Vulpix 11-03-2013 01:38 PM

Hrmmm, did you setup the webdav port and stuff also? Worst case scenario just reboot your NAS.

Aegis 11-03-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74620575)
Hrmmm, did you setup the webdav port and stuff also? Worst case scenario just reboot your NAS.

Yup, I switched on webdav. Maybe I will try rebooting everything tonight, the sequence should be modem, router, PC, NAS? or model, router, NAS, pc?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74621174)
Yup, I switched on webdav. Maybe I will try rebooting everything tonight, the sequence should be modem, router, PC, NAS? or model, router, NAS, pc?

Doesn't matter. Just reboot the NAS, don't disturb your PC and router, because it seems like there's a config issue. If cannot just post here, I personally never encounter any issue before.

Aegis 11-03-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74621397)
Doesn't matter. Just reboot the NAS, don't disturb your PC and router, because it seems like there's a config issue. If cannot just post here, I personally never encounter any issue before.

Ok will give it a go when I get home. Need a damn USB 3.0 connection on the NAS man, think gonna take me a while to transfer all my stuff over to the NAS. Should have gotten a 413 instead. :s13:

Vulpix 11-03-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74621919)
Ok will give it a go when I get home. Need a damn USB 3.0 connection on the NAS man, think gonna take me a while to transfer all my stuff over to the NAS. Should have gotten a 413 instead. :s13:

413 is PPC based platform, I would not recommend it too. Anyway the pain is only a one time setup. If you don't sway sway kenna 2/4 drive deaths, should be no problem one.

noobzpro 11-03-2013 03:17 PM

413 or 411slim...for siimplee Storage, Movies dlna And Server for people To Download Files From Me

Vulpix 11-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobzpro (Post 74622928)
413 or 411slim...for siimplee Storage, Movies dlna And Server for people To Download Files From Me

Whichever that has a marvell processor. Don't pick anything with PPC.

Aegis 11-03-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74622563)
413 is PPC based platform, I would not recommend it too. Anyway the pain is only a one time setup. If you don't sway sway kenna 2/4 drive deaths, should be no problem one.

Probably gonna take me a week to sort everything out, I got files all over the shop. After that only keep my ssd and raptors in pc. The rest of the hdd relegate to usb 3.0 external enclosure or the NAS. The file copying is excruciatingly slow when we're talking about 6-7tb.

Vulpix 11-03-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74623041)
Probably gonna take me a week to sort everything out, I got files all over the shop. After that only keep my ssd and raptors in pc. The rest of the hdd relegate to usb 3.0 external enclosure or the NAS. The file copying is excruciatingly slow when we're talking about 6-7tb.

You're telling me... Last week 2 of my drives died in my NAS, I had to copy out everything due to that failure because the entire partition corrupted. If 1 drive die maybe still ok, but this time 2 died due to power failure. I should have invested in a UPS earlier, but at least now I learned my lesson and bought one over the week. :s13:

Aegis 11-03-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74623103)
You're telling me... Last week 2 of my drives died in my NAS, I had to copy out everything due to that failure because the entire partition corrupted. If 1 drive die maybe still ok, but this time 2 died due to power failure. I should have invested in a UPS earlier, but at least now I learned my lesson and bought one over the week. :s13:

Please don't poison me into buying another thing. :s22: Damn suay siah two GG at same time.

WhiteFox 11-03-2013 03:40 PM

Now using DS211. Having 2 drives fail at the same time is really out of luck. At the moment now I have a RAID 1 DAS connected to my RAID 1 NAS for nightly backup. If all 4 drives fail at the same time, means I can go buy 4D liao. Which UPS u using for your NAS? Considering to invest one for my NAS in the near future as well

noobzpro 11-03-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74622983)
Whichever that has a marvell processor. Don't pick anything with PPC.

ok thanks alot! amazingly the more exp one is the ppc...

Ender 11-03-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74619162)
3:1 is sufficient. One drive fail still can scramble to buy a new replacement. I tio 2 drive fail before, heng still got way to backup, but damn mafan. :(

Sorry, very noob to this. What raid is 3:1? Raid 5 or the SHR?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74623354)
Please don't poison me into buying another thing. :s22: Damn suay siah two GG at same time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFox (Post 74623515)
Now using DS211. Having 2 drives fail at the same time is really out of luck. At the moment now I have a RAID 1 DAS connected to my RAID 1 NAS for nightly backup. If all 4 drives fail at the same time, means I can go buy 4D liao. Which UPS u using for your NAS? Considering to invest one for my NAS in the near future as well

2 drives fail at the same time is quite a rare thing lah. Really just sway sway got power trip at my home out of the blue, switch back on 2 drives uplorry. The drives I'm using also not really built for NAS use anyway, so sway lor.

I got myself an APC UPS, one with a USB connection to the NAS. Mine is APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 but no need get until so hardcore one lah. I have this habit of buy one time buy a good unit so no need to think about it again. Think cost me around 325.

Now I configure my NAS to become the UPS server, so my UPS is connected directly to my NAS, my PC also connected to the UPS, and set it up to ping every 30 minutes since my PC is only switched on when I am at home. So if see my UPS start to kpkb know got power trip can shut down liao. :s13:

Vulpix 11-03-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 74623675)
Sorry, very noob to this. What raid is 3:1? Raid 5 or the SHR?

3:1 is RAID 5. SHR will also use 3:1 if you are using a 4 drive NAS.

noobzpro 11-03-2013 03:56 PM

Oh Ya im Curious Lets say i Transfering From com To nas And from Nas To Com ssd Avg speed Of caviar Red

WhiteFox 11-03-2013 03:59 PM

My NAS is also acting as my download machine, apart from serving data access to all the systems in my house and remotely.

I kept wondering if separating a downloading NAS would be better.

Say I add a DS112/DS112+ as a downloading machine and maintain my DS211 server to my systems. Think the HDD in DS211 would last longer or just make performance better?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobzpro (Post 74623917)
Oh Ya im Curious Lets say i Transfering From com To nas And from Nas To Com ssd Avg speed Of caviar Red

Your keyboard something wrong? :s11: Anyway speeds depend greatly on the NAS itself. 413/413j series known to transfer somewhere between 30-40mb/s while the NAS with faster processors like the Intel ones in the 412+ can go up to 80-90mb/s.

Of course this is assuming your router doesn't suck and it's properly supporting a gigabit connection, and you manage to find the perfect jumbo frame value for your network, and there is no other device congesting your network.

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFox (Post 74623993)
My NAS is also acting as my download machine, apart from serving data access to all the systems in my house and remotely.

I kept wondering if separating a downloading NAS would be better.

Say I add a DS112/DS112+ as a downloading machine and maintain my DS211 server to my systems. Think the HDD in DS211 would last longer or just make performance better?

Are you doing so much downloads that you are bogging down the performance of your NAS? Check the CPU bar on the right side of the Synology GUI and see on average if it's always at high load or not. If it's constantly at high load from the things you do, then it's probably a good idea to have a separate NAS.

If it's only a few downloads once in a while, then no, don't waste money. Or you could always use this as an excuse to get a 412+ with the awesome Intel processor that will let you multitask like a boss with top downloads. :crazy:

BTW I just wanna remind everyone I not a NAS expert hor, just sharing what I know. Got a few veterans here haven't show face in this thread yet. :D

WhiteFox 11-03-2013 04:08 PM

All my siblings have remote access to the storage so when we are out, we are always streaming music from the NAS.

My NAS is always downloading/uploading something. When it's a well seeded file and I maximise the bandwidth, yup the cpu will be at 100%. And because torrents cause a lot of HDD activities, I thought maybe a NAS dedicated for torrenting might be a good idea because even if the HDDs crash, all my data won't be there but on the other NAS.

Chys 11-03-2013 04:11 PM

For discussion please, a 421+ is $775, that is like almost x3 212j. Apart from the possibility of having Raid 5/6/10 etc... Will you be better off with 2 x 212j with spare change? Though I noted that you will lost 50% hdd space. Let's do some math:

Setup 1 - 9TB (Assume Raid 5)
1 x 421+ - $775
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1603

Setup 2 - 3TB x 2 = 6TB (Assume Raid 1)
2 x 212j - $270 x 2 = $540
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1368


$1603 - $1368 = $235 (ie 1 WD Red 3TB with spare change)

So in the end you get same diskspace except that in Setup 1 3TB is unprotected per se.

Any other views?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteFox (Post 74624251)
All my siblings have remote access to the storage so when we are out, we are always streaming music from the NAS.

My NAS is always downloading/uploading something. When it's a well seeded file and I maximise the bandwidth, yup the cpu will be at 100%. And because torrents cause a lot of HDD activities, I thought maybe a NAS dedicated for torrenting might be a good idea because even if the HDDs crash, all my data won't be there but on the other NAS.

Based on your description, I would say getting a 4 bay NAS with good performance actually makes more sense than getting another 2 bay NAS.

My reasoning:
  1. Torrenting is actually quite CPU intensive.
  2. If you have 2 NAS with 2 bays, it means you are practically doing a RAID 1. Why not just get a 4 bay one and do RAID 5?
  3. If you get 1x 4 bay NAS, you just need 1 UPS to cover it, if you get 2x 2 bay NAS, how you going to cover in the future? :D

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chys (Post 74624308)
For discussion please, a 421+ is $775, that is like almost x3 212j. Apart from the possibility of having Raid 5/6/10 etc... Will you be better off with 2 x 212j with spare change? Though I noted that you will lost 50% hdd space. Let's do some math:

Setup 1 - 9TB (Assume Raid 5)
1 x 421+ - $775
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1603

Setup 2 - 3TB x 2 = 6TB (Assume Raid 1)
2 x 212j - $270 x 2 = $540
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1368


$1603 - $1368 = $235 (ie 1 WD Red 3TB with spare change)

So in the end you get same diskspace except that in Setup 1 3TB is unprotected per se.

Any other views?

The reason you want a 412+ is for the intel processor, faster speeds and transcoding feature only found on the 412+ and other Intel NAS. If none of those features makes sense to you, then don't put the 412+ in your list. Not a very fair comparison. You should replace the 412+ with a 413j.

Setup 1 - 9TB (Assume Raid 5)
1 x 413j - $475
4 x WD Red 3TB - $207 x 4 = $828
Total = $1303

See? It's actually cheaper. I rather just go with a 4 bay NAS with a cheap UPS which is even more secure than running 2x2 NAS.

Aegis 11-03-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix (Post 74623787)
2 drives fail at the same time is quite a rare thing lah. Really just sway sway got power trip at my home out of the blue, switch back on 2 drives uplorry. The drives I'm using also not really built for NAS use anyway, so sway lor.

I got myself an APC UPS, one with a USB connection to the NAS. Mine is APC Power-Saving Back-UPS Pro 900 but no need get until so hardcore one lah. I have this habit of buy one time buy a good unit so no need to think about it again. Think cost me around 325.

Now I configure my NAS to become the UPS server, so my UPS is connected directly to my NAS, my PC also connected to the UPS, and set it up to ping every 30 minutes since my PC is only switched on when I am at home. So if see my UPS start to kpkb know got power trip can shut down liao. :s13:

If I'm reading this correctly, your NAS is configured to let you know when the UPS kicks in during a power failure? How is this information sent to you?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aegis (Post 74624859)
If I'm reading this correctly, your NAS is configured to let you know when the UPS kicks in during a power failure? How is this information sent to you?

If you check the power setting in your NAS, you will find an option to check if your NAS can communicate with the UPS via an interface (most of the time USB cable from UPS to NAS/PC). So when there there is a trip, the UPS will kick in and tell the NAS that it is on battery power. I told my NAS to shutdown within 5 minutes of getting that signal. :D

My PC will do the same if I happen to not be there.

Ender 11-03-2013 04:35 PM

Another question. Suppose I get 4 pieces of 3TB HDD for my 413j at the moment. One day in the future of I want to upgrade to 4 pieces of 4TB HDD, is it possible to migrate all data to new 4X 4TB setup?

Vulpix 11-03-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ender (Post 74624932)
Another question. Suppose I get 4 pieces of 3TB HDD for my 413j at the moment. One day in the future of I want to upgrade to 4 pieces of 4TB HDD, is it possible to migrate all data to new 4X 4TB setup?

There is no simple way to do it unfortunately. You have to copy it all to somewhere before you can do it. Upgrade to another Synology NAS is just a matter of plugging out the old drives and putting them into the new one, but changing the drives is an entire different ball game.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:06 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © SPH Magazines Pte Ltd. All rights reserved.