[NAS] Synology NAS owner club!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Do you own a 2 bay, 4 bay, or maybe even an 8 bay Synology NAS? Come post here and share your thoughts, or help out other Synology NAS owners here! I'll post some useful tips every once in a while as long time permits.

What CPU does my Synology NAS have? http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/What_kind_of_CPU_does_my_NAS_have

For now, you guys do know your NAS got this awesome cloud function right? Go read up here: Synology Network Attached Storage - How to use Cloud Station to sync fil...

You can also mount ISO images this way: How to mount and use virtual disc fi... - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

Let's not forget the awesome amount of Synology apps for Android phones here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Synology+Inc.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi i see many people buying nas now. i would like to know under wat circumstances would one want a nas? can it like work on a tv for movies? how fast is the transfer speed?

Vulpix

Reaction score

twitism

Reaction score
just gotten a 413J with 4 x 4TB from the IT show...

it's currently formatting the drive right now.. i think a little more than 15 hours more to go? :s13:

1st time having a NAS, hope to learn more here!

chao_turban

Reaction score
Shld invest in a better eth cable or use the stock cable?
Any advise? I suppose SLS or SLT got sell the cables right?

xiangqin76

Reaction score
Me just got a 1812+ with 8pcs 3tb Red WD from MW SLS. I did a Raid 5 with 1 vol.

But my friends advise me to create 2 volumes instead as it is safer and will have faster recover if any HDD spoils... Is it true?

Vulpix

Reaction score
Shld invest in a better eth cable or use the stock cable?
Any advise? I suppose SLS or SLT got sell the cables right?
Just make sure you get from a reputable place when you buying cat5e cables. No need expensive or what, just make sure they don't sell you fake cat5e cables, because it does affect your speeds.

Vulpix

Reaction score
Me just got a 1812+ with 8pcs 3tb Red WD from MW SLS. I did a Raid 5 with 1 vol.

But my friends advise me to create 2 volumes instead as it is safer and will have faster recover if any HDD spoils... Is it true?

I agree with your friend. 6:2 is a safer ratio. 7:1 is quite risky since you can afford to have only 1 fail. If 6:2 at least you still can survive with 2 failed drives.

trashley

Reaction score
just got a DS213. no time to get hdd yet.

NAS newbie. here to learn!

was using a AEBS+hdd previously, dont know if its considered to be the same thing but it allows me to have a shared drive over my network.

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just gotten the 413j. A newbie too. What raid config would be suitable for my usage to store movies? I want to maximize capacity and at the same time have some safety net in case one drive fail..

Vulpix

Reaction score
Just gotten the 413j. A newbie too. What raid config would be suitable for my usage to store movies? I want to maximize capacity and at the same time have some safety net in case one drive fail..
3:1 is sufficient. One drive fail still can scramble to buy a new replacement. I tio 2 drive fail before, heng still got way to backup, but damn mafan. :(

Anything_Whatever

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi there Vulpix and Synlogy pals,

Got myself a 413j and 4 pc RED 3TB harddisks at IT fair.

Still haven't settle down to open up the boxes...

What Raid would you recommend? newbie here...

TIA
Benjamin

Vulpix

Reaction score
Hi there Vulpix and Synlogy pals,

Got myself a 413j and 4 pc RED 3TB harddisks at IT fair.

Still haven't settle down to open up the boxes...

What Raid would you recommend? newbie here...

TIA
Benjamin

If you are a newbie just select SHR, let Synology handle for you.

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depends on redundancy vs performance needs. Sensitive data probably SHR-2 or RAID 6, can tahan 2 disk fail. OW SHR or RAID 5. Need speed and non-critical data then RAID 0. Idiot proof just use SHR-1 should be ok for most users.

noobzpro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm im curious is synology like the best in the market??? how isit compared to qnap

Aegis

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can we add some additional infomation on how to access your NAS online as well, I'm struggling with that. Keeps telling me I need to switch on webdav, but I already on liao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.